• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Steering wheel paint

rapandi

Hi team

my steering wheels paint was flaking and there was rust under the paint. So I taped the leather up and sand blasted it in a blasting cabinet. 

I want to reprint it but I am a bit unsure if I should just use a satin black paint from rattle can. The original paint was like thicker and felt like it was baked. You could actually CHIP the paint in pieces to give you an idea. 

Any nu idea what kind of paint I should use to achieve a nice looking finish. I want to do it right cause it is one part of the car that will always be visible to me. 

Any tips much appreciated

Raj

DSC_0132.thumb.JPG.7d76d7cdff3402a6d7bec915be989778.JPG

IMG_2554.thumb.JPG.8aac7f2fa3cfd1b9e26c0ecef226777c.JPG

Raj

1972 BMW 2002 Tii - Golf Yellow

I suspect that originally it was powder coated before the rubber and leather rim coverings were applied.  Since the baking temperature for powder coating would ruin the leather and its rubber underlie, You're pretty much forced to use paint.  A good, self-etching primer followed by several coats of satin black from a spray can should be fine; just remember to keep your hands on the rim and not the spokes and it'll last for a long time.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

• 4 weeks later...