• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Garage Los Ponchos experience (image heavy)

arminyack

Well, over 3 months later the car is largely all together. I spent the weekend driving the hell out of it for the first time since october. I replaced almost every piece of rubber, did away with my dinged up beltline trim for some stick on stuff that was almost a match for $100 to do the whole car, and converted by beat to hell and cracked to pieces dash to a chrome facia euro dash. The only thing I'm really waiting on right now is the stainless steel rear bumper. The supplier is having issues with the manufacturer (In Vietnam) Wont be long now however I think..well, on with pics.

20170409_142128_zpse6wc0ugn.jpg

20170409_130132_zpshgg5lpps.jpg

20170409_130058_zpsmhvw0f68.jpg

20170409_130041_zpsyr1c3yfc.jpg

20170409_125825_zpsj7pohiml.jpg

20170409_162831_zpsp8ctvcv4.jpg

Looks great!!  

Glad to hear you've got her on the road again.

You just need to get those upright bonnet-supports behind the grills painted semi-gloss black - for authenticity, make sure you do it rather sloppily with a fairly course paintbrush...  :lol:
Also, can I just ask how wide your Opel Rallye wheels are?  I'm guessing 6"....

Edited by 02Anders

O==00==O
With BMW-Regards,
Anders.

1 minute ago, 02Anders said:

Looks great!!  

Glad to hear you've got her on the road again.

You just need to get those upright bonnet-supports behind the grills painted semi-gloss black - for authenticity, make sure you do it rather sloppily with a fairly course paintbrush...  :lol:
Also, can I just ask how wide your Opel Rallye wheels are?  I'm guessing 6"....

thanks! I a looking at the beginning of a serious over spray removal job. I must research what products are the best for this job!  Maybe I can slather on some POR 15 on those uprights!

the wheels are 5.5" wide

4 minutes ago, arminyack said:

the wheels are 5.5" wide

Thx!
I only ask because I have a set of those Opel Rallye's too, but mine are 6" wide.  I'm slightly concerned whether they'll rub anywhere on lock?

Enjoy your overspray removal.  It's a time consuming hobby...  ;)

O==00==O
With BMW-Regards,
Anders.

7 minutes ago, 02Anders said:

Thx!
I only ask because I have a set of those Opel Rallye's too, but mine are 6" wide.  I'm slightly concerned whether they'll rub anywhere on lock?

Enjoy your overspray removal.  It's a time consuming hobby...  ;)

From what I have gathered...the 6" wide ones WILL rub. I heard Opel went with 6"wide on later cars. Of course, I have now personal experience with this....just hearsay I have gathered over the years 

8 minutes ago, arminyack said:

From what I have gathered...the 6" wide ones WILL rub. I heard Opel went with 6"wide on later cars. Of course, I have now personal experience with this....just hearsay I have gathered over the years 

Bummer!  :(
That's a real shame...
Inspired by some older pics of your '68 (before the accident), I was actually planning on getting my Opel Rallye's refurbed, so they could be the next set of wheels I tried out on my Verona '73.
Guess I better go through a trial fitting before I pull the trigger on the refurb.  Just a bit annoying as there are currently no tyres on my Opel Rallye's.
Oh well, guess I'll have something to curse about, while you're cursing about overspray removal...  :P

O==00==O
With BMW-Regards,
Anders.

Nice!!!  Glad to hear you got things back together!  Car looks great!  How hard was the beltlline trim to install?  I got probably the same roll of stick on stuff but I have been too chicken to put it on. My mind says I'll put a horrible curve somewhere. Lol. 

1976 BMW 2002 Fjord Blue Ireland Stage II • Bilstein Sports • Ireland Headers • Weber 38 • 292 Cam • 9.5:1 Pistons • 123Tune Bluetooth 15" BBS

2018 BMW M550i X-Drive

1964 Volvo Amazon Wagon
http://www.project2002.com

11 minutes ago, jrhone said:

Nice!!!  Glad to hear you got things back together!  Car looks great!  How hard was the beltlline trim to install?  I got probably the same roll of stick on stuff but I have been too chicken to put it on. My mind says I'll put a horrible curve somewhere. Lol. 

It'll still look better,

:D

Cheers,

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

31 minutes ago, jrhone said:

lol it went on fine....but ONE spot on my drivers side door...if you look close, has a low spot where I flubbed it!

7 minutes ago, PaulTWinterton said:

Far out!  Groovy ride, man.   Too bad you're a Nixon supporter. ;)

Seriously, I've never seen a more appropriate bumper decal on a car.  So period-correct.  Hate to see it go, if you're replacing the bumper.

Awesome car.

Well....I did buy a lot of 10X of the same sticker (original) on ebay.....a lot of em are out there!