• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to Install Rear Quarter Glass and Assembly

Captain Manly

Moving right along in getting Lola back together and I have not seen much write up about putting the rear quarter glass/assembly back on.

Remembering how "fun" it was taking it off, I am looking forward to this experience.

I have all new gaskets for it. Just need to know what the sequence is to complete.  I do remember that the chrome trim pieces were attached with rivets, I was thinking of using SS taping screws with LockTite Red, still a good idea?

What adhesive would you all recommend 3m general adhesive or Wurths or is there something better on the maket?  (I will be needing to know for the door gasket seals installation which will be next.

Thanks you all again for helping me on this journey!

Justin 

Not an expert but here's what i did (or what I remember at least)...

1. Headliner needs to be installed (if you removed it).

2. I riveted in the lower rear window finisher.

3. I riveted in the b-pillar finisher.

4. I put some silicon sealer on the rivet heads.

5. I installed the horseshoe shaped window seal which goes around the top, back and bottom of the window (I had to trim my OEM seal a little).

- I started at the bottom corner right where the seal changes shape... and worked away from there.

28187051111_da01d29b16_m.jpg

6. Install the window on the (black) window bracket, with the seal and cotter pin.

- Test fit the window in place (it's good to have a helper for this, maybe put 1 screw in (I believe there are 4), they screw in to the b-pillar.

- The reason for the test fit, is because I needed to trim the bracket window seal as well. Do a little at a time and retest fit (I trimmed my passenger side a lil too much :( )

- I also had to make some additional cuts in the horseshoe shaped seal so the seals would fit nicely.

28890411045_0b8e1b009a_m.jpg

28890410315_56a47e5b4f_m.jpg

7. Before installing it, put some dabs of silicone (I had a black automotive silicone (whatever that means)), in each corner,

- Screw in 4 (possibly only 3) screws in to b-pillar.

- Re-installed window latch.

8. Celebrate.

picked up what i thought was a sound Verona Red '76

The Refresh Blog: http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/155-76-verona-red-refresh/

One thing to add:  it's helpful to have a second person holding the glass as you install it.  It's awkward to hold in place from the inside, where you need to be to fasten the latches to the car's C pillar.  Awkward hold = possibility of dropping--and tempered glass shatters very nicely when dropped.  (no--I was lucky on the first side; then I recruited a helper for the other side)

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

The factory used rivets because the door/ window seals adjoin those surfaces.  Screws have too much of a protrusion.  It is necessary to trim the quarter window gasket where it meets the B pillar, and do so very carefully.  It requires a series of notches so it recesses fully into the door jamb.  The position of the lower exterior chrome quarter window trim is somewhat critical since it retains the window gasket.  Be sure it is parallel to the interior body flange and located correctly fore/aft (install trim strip to B pillar first).  When installing B pillar trim, be sure to leave about 2-3mm gap at the top so the bottom of the rain gutter can slide into position over it.   If you didn't have any extensive bodywork, simply install in original holes. Good luck.

Edited by nbcbird

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...
On 1/27/2021 at 12:34 AM, RMBaiada said:

has anyone ever used 1/8" steel pop rivets?

i doubt you would get the head of the rivet gun in there.. with a magnetic screwdriver the screws are quite easy to fit

'59 Morris Minor, '67 Triumph TR4A, '68 Silver Shadow, '72 2002tii, '73 Jaguar E-Type,

'73 2002tii w/Alpina mods , '74 2002turbo, '85 Alfa Spider, '03 Lotus Elise