• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Announcing My New Book, "The Hack Mechanic Guide to European Automotive Electrical Systems"

I can't wait to read it either! 

On a side note....I must be a Unicorn among current and previous Britiths car owners...in the 15 years I drove my TR4 (for 6 of them it was my daily driver) electrical problems never plagued me. In fact, I was mystified what all of these others owners were talking about when they mention "The Prince of Darkeness"...until one winter night, I was driving home from a girlfriends house who lived in a rural part of San Jose (between Alamaden Valley and Morgan Hill) As I was driving home.....and the lights on the car went out like that *snaps fingers*  the rest of the night was NOT a fun one....but that was the ONLY case of major electrical trouble I had.

Edited by arminyack

This is great. Love your first book. 

Can't wait for this one.  But before I touch anything electrical on my '02, I will need you to release a coloring book version of it.

Color the battery Black,  Color the alternator blue. 

Now color the positive terminal on the battery Red,...

Something like that will save me 2 1/2 trips to the urgent care,,,

Loose: Not tightly bound. Subject to motion.
Lose: What happens when you are spell check dependent.

1975 Malaga. It is rusty and  springs an occasional leak.  Just like me. 

Very cool. Gonna have to get me a copy for sure.

By the way, I think I stumbled across a preview of your chapter on Lucas electrical systems. It's very insightful.

tumblr_mz1xl0Fb791s60o7vo1_1280.jpg

-David

Colorado '71 2002

'17 VW GTI Sport
'10 Honda Odyssey Family & Stuff Hauler

Currently, I do not own an '02 or any European car...but, I have to have this book. I am sure it will make me both laugh and cry. When I was putting the new floor pans in the '72 and saw the condition of the wiring, in an incredibly impulsive and stupid moment, I cut ALL the wiring out of the car and accepted an invitation to my own personal Twilight Zone. Damn, Rob, where were you when I needed you? Book is ordered. Can't wait to get into it.

• 2 months later...

I've been notified it's shipping....  Cool..

Rob, BTW, your weekly columns on Roundel website (decapitation, recapitation) just make my week....  Thanks !! 

--------------------------------------------------------------

73 inka 2002 w/ fuel injection & 5 speed, LSD

On 3/12/2016 at 10:22 AM, thehackmechanic said:

(I'm going to use my 2002FAQ free spin card to announce my new book. I hope that's okay. After this post, I'll switch to paid advertising. The link to pre-order the book is http://www.bentleypublishers.com/automotive-reference/automotive-reference/hack-mechanic-guide-to-european-automotive-electrical-systems.html. The coupon code for 35% off list is "FriendOfRob")

cv_bhme.jpg

My friends, I can finally answer the question about what I've been working on for the past 15 months at Bentley Publishers. I am proud to announce my new book, "The Hack Mechanic Guide to European Automotive Electrical Systems." Although the word "European" is in the title, and some things ARE European-specific, the book covers much of what you need to know to work on the electrical system of ANY vintage or modern internal combustion car. 

There is a LOT of 2002-appropriate content in this book. In fact, I used my '72tii (and my Bavaria) as the subject car for much of the battery, ignition, alternator, and fuse box sections.

The book opens with battery basics -- why a fully-charged battery reads 12.6 volts and not 12V, why, when the alternator is charging it, the battery should read about 14V, and how to use a multimeter to test for these conditions so you can know whether a jump-start or a new battery will save you or whether the car will die again in a mile unless you replace the alternator as well.

It then teaches you about how electricity works in a car, telling you enough about circuits and Ohm's Law to let you calculate how much current actually flows through a short circuit so you can understand why wires melt when there's no load device in the circuit to add resistance.

Following that are detailed practical hands-on chapters on how to use a multimeter to troubleshoot common automotive electrical problems related to the alternator, ignition system, and relays present in all cars, including a chapter on finding parasitic drains that can cause the battery to run down overnight.

The book then steps into the modern world and discusses computers, buses, and control modules, OBD-II, the difference between code readers and scan tools, the dynamic analog signals (sine waves and square waves) used by modern sensors, and the tools needed to detect and measure those signals (automotive multimeters and oscilloscopes).

The book closes with eleven detailed chapters on how to test sensors in newer cars such as oxygen sensors, cam and crankshaft position sensors, and wheel speed (ABS) sensors.

The link to pre-order the book is http://www.bentleypublishers.com/automotive-reference/automotive-reference/hack-mechanic-guide-to-european-automotive-electrical-systems.html.

AND... I have a promotional code for you, my friends, good for 35% off list price. The code is -- and I cannot fully convey the depth of my love for this -- FriendOfRob (case not important, but if I write it here without case capitalization, it looks like "friend-o-frob"). The code will be valid for a while, but not indefinitely.

So be a FriendOfRob (or a "friend-o-frob"), pre-order the book, and never have to lose sleep wondering how to measure voltage drop again!

Received my copy in the mail yesterday.  Flipping through it, it looks like a great read.  Great job Rob!

1974 2002tii Restored (Original Owner) #2782393
2013 Porsche C4S Cab (Original Owner)
BMW CCA #23777

Thanks everyone!

Gastephens, my first book was 85% car guy stories and 15% actual useful stuff. This one is 97% actual useful stuff and 3% car guy stories. It is written in my Hack Mechanic conversational voice, but Bentley wanted it to be a repair manual, so nearly all of it is in the 3rd person and it is free of the spicy humor (and F bombs). So don't look for saucy sections like "Why Men Love Cars" in my last book. In its place, though, are gobs of step-by-step procedures. I think it's a good trade-off.

The new book The Best Of The Hack Mechanic available at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0998950742, inscribed copies of all books available at www.robsiegel.com

1972 tii (Louie), 1973 2002 (Hampton), 1975 ti tribute (Bertha), 1972 Bavaria, 1973 3.0CSi, 1979 Euro 635CSi, 1999 Z3, 1999 M Coupe, 2003 530i sport, 1974 Lotus Europa Twin Cam Special (I know, I know...)