harper

Help ID these wheels

18 posts / 1433 viewsLast Reply

Later type of the stock steelies 5x13.

Regards, Lars.

second this. This is a squaretail car and stock from the look of things. 

Europe got all the cool stuff.

(edited)

I have no clear idea what the late stock steelies look like in motion, but the steelies in the photo appear to have 8 "voids" or "cut-outs" surrounding the hub so I'd probably vote for late stock steelies (8 voids) over Borrani steelies (12 voids) if those were my choices!

The center caps, which are cylindrical on either a late stock steelie or Borrani, tend to appear tapered or even "small-waisted" in the photo, but light and shade play games in photographs.

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

Source for the picture from autoevolution above is an original factory photo from 1974, signature AF-5174-1. No Borranis on a 1974 BMW Werksfoto for sure.

Regards, Lars.

....This is a squaretail car and stock from the look of things. 

Europe got all the cool stuff.

Masterfully done, Ryan!

Best regards,

Steve

Thanks for the detective work & positive ID. I suspected the stock wheel due to the apparent eight cutouts in the pictured wheel. It just seemed like the holes were too small and more steel between holes in the photo. Certainly the photo with the wheels in motion has an effect on that though its just more than I was willing to assume. So now I am assuming that these are the same steel wheels in this attached photo. I haven't seen or heard of different steel wheels for late model european 02's.

post-32378-0-55436600-1452264993_thumb.j

(edited)

Thanks for the detective work & positive ID. I suspected the stock wheel due to the apparent eight cutouts in the pictured wheel. It just seemed like the holes were too small and more steel between holes in the photo. Certainly the photo with the wheels in motion has an effect on that though its just more than I was willing to assume. So now I am assuming that these are the same steel wheels in this attached photo. I haven't seen or heard of different steel wheels for late model european 02's.

Correct! That's the late OEM ("stock") steelie for all square taillight '02's, globally.

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

BTW,

to me much more interesting in the photo above than the wheels (and the reason why I kept it in my head) is, that it is one of the rare contemporary Werksfotos showing a 02 in Aussenfarbe schwarz / paint color black except the ones in the ads for schwarze Serie / black series.

Regards, Lars.

(edited)

It's a great photo, Lars!

The square taillight cars, certainly in the U.S., are treated as second-class citizens, largely, I believe, because of the U.S. bumpers. But this particular car, in black, clean and stripped down -- no side marker lights or reflectors, no antenna, no right-hand rear view mirror, no auxiliary lights -- is stunning in its simplicity. My '76, in a 1977 photo, looks fussy and busy by comparison!

The brilliance of danco's remark, "Europe got all the cool stuff", of course, is that we -- myself included -- are constantly adding features and equipment to our "already-busy" U.S.-spec cars, whereas the factory photo shows the power of subtraction!

Best regards,

Steve

post-41123-0-83383000-1452344482_thumb.j

Edited by Conserv

(edited)

BTW,

to me much more interesting in the photo above than the wheels (and the reason why I kept it in my head) is, that it is one of the rare contemporary Werksfotos showing a 02 in Aussenfarbe schwarz / paint color black except the ones in the ads for schwarze Serie / black series.

Regards, Lars.

I have posted that picture (one very similar to it) before. It was given to me by Keith Kreeger. If you look closely (in the one I posted), you may see the tow pull cable... Edited by jgerock

I've been fixated on this photo for a while now. I  figured that it was schwartz and that the lighting/editing of the photo changed the color just slightly. I had no idea there was a slightly different shade black. Thanks Lars

Euro spec=to subtract is to add