• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Source for Bosch black coil?

BigIrish

Does anyone happen to know who sells the black coils?  All the sites I'm aware of only have the blue coils with the internal resistor.

I need the black coil for my '76 as I want to run the stock resistor wire.

I've searched the forum but all I can find is debates on which is better.  Thanks!

The formerly black coil is now red or silver, both have a label indicating the need for a 1.8 ohm ballast resistor, the original was 1.1 or 1.2, not sure. You need to measure the resistance in your wire, it might be too low for the new coils.

HBChris

`73 3.0CS Chamonix, `69 2000 NK Atlantik

`70 2800 Polaris, `79 528i Chamonix

Thanks for the replies

According to the fcpeuro site, '74 and down use the 00010 coil and the 75 & 76 use the 00012 coil.  I guess that's because the later cars used a resistor wire instead of ballast resistor.  This is all very confusing.  Also I see "00012" coils in black, blue, white w/ purple sticker.

Bigirish, my resistor wire looked horrible when i removed it and converted to a blue coil. If you truly want to stay with a low resistance coil, consider buying a coil and a ballast resistor and replacing the resistance wire.

Coils are not confusing. You need a total of 3ohms of resistance. You either buy a blue coil which is already 3 ohms and remove any resistor or you get a red or black coil and match an appropriate resistor to net 3 ohms.

Buckeye suggested you measure the resistance in the resistance wire, that way you will know exactly which coil you will need.

1976 BMW 2002 Chamonix. My first love.

1972 BMW 2002tii Polaris. My new side piece.

Just curious, are you replacing the coil as a matter of course?

I did that when I was on a buying spree, then put the old German-made one back in.  

It is possibly the original and is still working fine.

Having a (new) spare on hand is nice though.

I bought it from Blunttech, (because I wanted the free ice cream).

I am also using the resistor wire, which is still in good shape.

No, I think the coil is failing.  I have a new electronic dizzy, but the plug wires are old and the coil looks very old.  At the last autocross event, it started misfiring.  Then on the way home I lost all ignition, tach went to zero in an instant.  After I had the car towed home 2 hours later and had totally cooled down, it restarted. 

In my experience that is a coil with failing internal windings.  When hot, cracks in the insulation open up and short out.  Cool it down and they sometimes close up enough to run again.  I'll replace the plug wires too.

I've been told the electronic ignitors are pretty sensitive to incorrect resistance, so I guess I'm a bit paranoid.  I don't want to brun out a $150 ignitor and get towed home yet again.  

The Pertronics Ignitor, for one, needs the same 3 ohms minimum resistance as the points distributor needs.  I asked the Pertronics guy that question because I was not quite getting 3 ohms resistance thru my coil and ballast resistor.  He told me that the ignitor wants to run on 4 amps max current and the 3 ohms at 12 volts gives that current.  He reminded me that the resistance in the circuit would increase when the circuit got warm.

What Stevenc22 said, get 3 ohms resistance thru your coil and resistor together and you be good.

00010 is the black coil

00012 is the blue coil

00013 is the red coil

Thanks!  That's what I need to know.  I'll measure the resistance when I get it.  

I understand the total resistance concept but it's frustrating that none of the vendors list the ohms as part of the description.  

Trying to measure a small resistance value can be kind of hard.  Unless you have a really good meter like a Fluke (which are $$'s).  If your '76 has the stock resistance wire, it should be 0.9 ohm and therefore work with the 00010 coil.  If you take off the old coil and list the numbers stamped into the bottom of it here, we can probably confirm that it's one of the black coils that work with the 0.9 ohm resistance wire.  Hope this helps,

John

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️

00010 is the [/size]black[/size] [/size]coil[/size]00012 is the [/size]blue[/size] [/size]coil[/size]00013 is the red [/size]coil[/size]

Is 00010 actually black these days or is it silver?

HBChris

`73 3.0CS Chamonix, `69 2000 NK Atlantik

`70 2800 Polaris, `79 528i Chamonix

Is 00010 actually black these days or is it silver?

I ordered one earlier this year from BMW for my '74 3.0csi and it was silver with green sticker (Made in Brazil).  I eventually purchased a NOS one (Made in Germany) on e-bay that is black.

P.S. anyone listening in.  Don't order your coil from BMW thinking that the black coil might actually be black.  You'll end up getting the same Bosch coil (silver colored) that you can get from excellent vendors like Blunt except you'll pay about double for it.  ... AMHIK  :lol:

Edited by JohnS

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️