• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Turbo red gauge panel color

cbesing

IIRC it's a kind of dull red, and the finish is flat, not gloss or semi-gloss.  

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Most photos of the instrument panel almost make it look more Inka than red/cardinal.  

My question:  How does one obtain or make such a panel?  Supposedly, Hollywood Speedometer makes it or can make it.  I have contacted them twice - no response.  I thought about obtaining a cheap 1974 panel and attempting to paint it; however, I am certain it will ever look as customized/cool or appropriate as the real-deal Turbo panel which appears to be cut from a single block - not just a painted regular panel.  Very, very nice, indeed. 

2002#2

Larry

It is basically the 1974 dash painted instead of wood grain. the front panel snaps in place over the face of the instrument cluster. Just sand it, prime and paint it then install it over the instruments.

1970 1602 (purchased 12/1974)

1974 2002 Turbo

1988 M5

1986 Euro 325iC

Here is the gauge panel removed and woodgrain removed with scotchbrite.

post-46234-0-74963300-1440465046_thumb.j

Here is 3 paint color tests. The red is the recommended color from Esty called Cardinal Red. Seems too red. The others are the closest match to the image on Groits garage referred to in the post above.

post-46234-0-93229200-1440465145_thumb.j

Here is the Groits Garage Image.

post-46234-0-46079100-1440465334_thumb.j

Still not sure what color to go with.  Someone must have a PMS or other standarized color.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by cbesing

I'd imagine the red is the same used on the turbo stripes. Off the top of my head I think it is Pantone Red 032 C. Which is a red with a slight orange hue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by jmr_1602

- Project 67' 1600-2

- Pig Cheek 71' 1602

Esty, that is too red. It took me a while to come up with the right color. It is not an off the shelf color, i had it mixed. I'll see if I can find the formula. I know I had a pint done.

BTW the one in the Griots picture is mine.

Edited by Preyupy

1970 1602 (purchased 12/1974)

1974 2002 Turbo

1988 M5

1986 Euro 325iC

Hi I have found a perfect colour match and managed to help turbo owners purchase the paint.

After tirelessly looking around for the nearest colour match, I found a superb spray paint. It's from www.needham-group.com Code 00082 "Speedi Spray Red" (Matt)

Also you can use the Lux wood effect to colour the instrument surrounds - turbo red or other. Just rub it down and paint it whatever colour you fancy (I'm going to be sorry for saying that aren't I?) ;o)

Clean all glass of course before refitting.

turbo%20surround%20banda_zpstfloupwd.jpg

turbo%20surround_zps8acj6r1m.jpg

Chairman of the 02 Register BMW Car Club (GB) Ltd.

• 3 years later...

Hello- Saw your post when you painted your Turbo bezel. How do I remove the bezel only from the gauge cluster? Do I remove the 8 screws on the back of the cluster to get it off or does it just pop off? 

Also, any help with the correct color code would be great!  Thanks!