• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My 1976 Grantrot 2002 was stolen in front of my apartment last night

Ian76

In case the thief posts it on Craigslist in some remote location, you might want to keep an eye on bimmer02.com

This is a compilation of o2s for sale across the country.

Also, if the thief is out and about in it they may have changed the plates. Are there any distinguishing features that will help us know it's yours if we see a similar vehicle? Brand/size of wheels/tires, decals, scratches, interior items radio/seats/gauge cluster/etc.

Edited by B-Merry

Wow everyone! Thank you so much for the support.  I really appreciate it.  Good idea bavarianwrench,  I think I'll just go knock on some doors.  My friend and neighbor said she saw someone checking it out the late night last week so that's likely who it was.  

Betsy is my daily and I live in an apartment with only street parking.  I've parked it on the street for the last 6 years.  I should've been more cautious and had lo jack or even some a club device.    

Thank you B-Merry!!

She had a Nardi steering wheel, third brake light and a locking gas cap.  Here are some more photos to help identify.  Coincidentally, the spot where that Audi wagon is parked in this pic is where Betsy was yanked.  Errrrr.  

All my spare parts (passenger side mirror-new etc.), all the wardrobe and racks from our last shoot, california duster and my katana handle umbrella were in the trunk.  My favorite shades and B.I.G. Over Premier CD were casualties too.  Grrrrrowl.  

post-38257-0-52255600-1434225766_thumb.j

post-38257-0-32959500-1434225822_thumb.j

post-38257-0-22541100-1434225848_thumb.j

post-38257-0-89749900-1434225866_thumb.j

post-38257-0-01599300-1434225895_thumb.j

post-38257-0-77555800-1434225914_thumb.j

post-38257-0-98036200-1434225931_thumb.j

Edited by Ian76

@Lisa continue using your "club" in-fact consider purchasing a "clutch club"and or an alarm.  Any lock can be defeated eventually, but the club still a deterrent....

I saw one cool idea on YouTube.  After parking his car for the day.  The guy switched the coil wire at the distributor with another wire on the distributor.  At first glance most folks in a haste would not be able to tell the difference,,,,,And to a thief that is moving very fast he'd probably certainly over look it...

Or remove your rotor, put it in your pocket or somewhere replace when you return....

Anyway, the car won't start in this condition, cheap security.....

There's probably a whole host of cheap things we can share to ensure the safety of our precious 02' hmmmm without checking (forgive me thread sheriffs) maybe that could be the next thread...."How prevent the theft of my 02'"

I've written hundreds of stolen vehicle reports, in those hundreds less than 5 have utilized a club.  And none of the 5 had the steering wheel cut or had the steering wheel removed (not saying it can't happen).  One of them was cold blooded the thief left the club laying on the ground where the car was parked.....I actually laughed at that, not at the loss but the audacity of the crook..

Anyway, I use the steering wheel club on one of my 02's and an alarm.  Then I use the "clutch club" on two of my other 02's so far so good...

The unfortunate thing about Ian's loss is the thief specially wanted his particular car, more than the normal 90's Honda, Saturn, Toyota's that are stolen joy ridden, parked, dumped after committing an additional crime or it runs out of gas............So, Ian's car might be found eventually but it will be difficult and it probably won't be in the short term..........Luckily this is a small community so the vehicle will not be easy to unload.....

Hopefully it comes back soon

ira

@Lisa continue using your "club" in-fact consider purchasing a "clutch club"and or an alarm.  Any lock can be defeated eventually, but the club still a deterrent....

I saw one cool idea on YouTube.  After parking his car for the day.  The guy switched the coil wire at the distributor with another wire on the distributor.  At first glance most folks in a haste would not be able to tell the difference,,,,,And to a thief that is moving very fast he'd probably certainly over look it...

Or remove your rotor, put it in your pocket or somewhere replace when you return....

Anyway, the car won't start in this condition, cheap security.....

There's probably a whole host of cheap things we can share to ensure the safety of our precious 02' hmmmm without checking (forgive me thread sheriffs) maybe that could be the next thread...."How prevent the theft of my 02'"

I've written hundreds of stolen vehicle reports, in those hundreds less than 5 have utilized a club.  And none of the 5 had the steering wheel cut or had the steering wheel removed (not saying it can't happen).  One of them was cold blooded the thief left the club laying on the ground where the car was parked.....I actually laughed at that, not at the loss but the audacity of the crook..

Anyway, I use the steering wheel club on one of my 02's and an alarm.  Then I use the "clutch club" on two of my other 02's so far so good...

The unfortunate thing about Ian's loss is the thief specially wanted his particular car, more than the normal 90's Honda, Saturn, Toyota's that are stolen joy ridden, parked, dumped after committing an additional crime or it runs out of gas............So, Ian's car might be found eventually but it will be difficult and it probably won't be in the short term..........Luckily this is a small community so the vehicle will not be easy to unload.....

Hopefully it comes back soon

ira

Nope Ian it's not your fault at all....You did your job you shaped an incredibly beautiful car. 

I blame it on the heartless criminals that society has to make a contingency for on a regular basis...Unfortunately good people pay the price...

ira

I know there are a lotta cars in LA, but a 1976 BMW should be kinda noticeable...didja notify the police and particularly the CHP?

And the thief was one of a fairly small number of crooks who can drive stick shift--I've been told that a stick shift tranny is one of the more useful anti-theft devices.  That should narrow things down a bit.

If I had to park a car in a vulnerable area on a regular basis I think I'd wire in two hidden switches--one to disable the ignition circuit (no spark) and the other to disable the starter motor.  Hide one switch much better than the other so if the thief finds one, he'll think he's home-free--until the car still won't start.  

And you can buy a solenoid valve that will shut off fuel flow until it's turned on, so the thief will only get as far as the carburetor's gas supply will take him (or her!)

mike

Edited by mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Right when he reported his car stolen......It was entered into the Stolen Vehicle System...Anyone (officer) who makes a file check of that license plate of this (unique car) and any other car that has been reported stolen the message will come up as "stolen vehicle".....That's nation wide for any law enforcement agency including CHP

Jacobs ignition coils back in the day had a cool feature, a hidden switch. It had a run mode. It did its job in that position. It also had a safe mode. If you started the car in safe mode it would start right up. At that point it is on a timer. It had a RPM sensor. After a certain amount of time the car would die if you dropped to a low RPM. It then would not start for a set period of time. This prevents thieves from mangling your car and belongings if the car doesn't start. The thief gets the car and is happily en route to the hideout when the car dies and they are unprepared for it. At this point they are vulnerable and exposed. I always thought it would be great to see the trooper showing up to help out the poor stranded thief in traffic. Pretty funny deterrent.

I'm currently daily-driving my '76 after my  Subaru Liberty daily driver was stolen from out the front of my house at about 5am. That was on the 12th of May and I still haven't heard anything.

I can't imagine the audacity/idiocy it takes to steal a unique, rare or very distinguishable classic.
I know exactly how it feels and it's truly gutting. I'd really enjoy taking a pruning saw to the theifs hands, for example.

I hope you have better luck than I have, and that the car is returned to you in a reasonable condition. :(

sorry about your car, hopefully it will turn up, tail wagging and happy to see you. i know a few people who have been reunited with their toys, keep the faith. that said i am a fan of the club as a deterant. but you should cut your wheels hard toward the curb, weather you use a club or the steering wheel lock that comes standard. my .02

I'm currently daily-driving my '76 after my  Subaru Liberty daily driver was stolen from out the front of my house at about 5am. That was on the 12th of May and I still haven't heard anything.

I can't imagine the audacity/idiocy it takes to steal a unique, rare or very distinguishable classic.

I know exactly how it feels and it's truly gutting. I'd really enjoy taking a pruning saw to the theifs hands, for example.

I hope you have better luck than I have, and that the car is returned to you in a reasonable condition. :(

Isn't this the reason Sawsalls were invented?  Something about hearing the thing start up, and then seeing the result sure could keep a dumbass lawful.

74 Amazonas tii, Bill Holman built, dual throttle bodies, Shrick 304, Stahl header, five speed, big brakes, H&R springs, Bilsteins, E30 BBS wheels.

Sorry to hear this.......I live close to St Louis, MO so I will keep my eyes peeled for your car. On the road as well as craigslist etc. 

1995 Toyota Landcruiser

1975 2002A

1989 Dodge Raider (sold)

1974 Toyota Landcruiser (very sadly sold)

1994 BMW 530i (sold)

1992 BMW 325i (sold)

1970 2002 auto sunroof (sold)

sorry to hear man.

i live only a few miles west of you right off pico and the 405 and will keep my eyes peeled!

18' Racing Yellow 911 GT3
71' Agave Green 2002
10' Silver Landcruiser 200 series
10' White Landcruiser Prado 150 series

San Diego here, watching out for you as well.

I like the idea of letting some of the shops know, 2002ad, IE, La Jolla Independent, and all the others.   Anyone who's stupid enough to steal a car, particularly one that stands out in a crowd, may be stupid enough to show up at some of these places.

When things like this happen, you have to ask yourself "what the hell is wrong with some people".  If it's any consolation, the theiving bastard will get what he deserves in the end!  (my apologies for the unprofessional language but, it's infuriating)

My "fun" cars so far:                                                                                                                                                                                                            My restoration website:

1976 BMW 2002a                                                                                                                                                                                                           http://www.2002and914.com

1975 Porsche 914

Hey Ian,

Like everybody else in this post, so sorry to hear about your loss.

I have a '76 Mint Grun and am in the process of getting it back "up to speed" after having

it sit in my garage for over 16 years. Your "bad luck" woke me up to the fact that people are

still stealing these cars. Like others have said, parking it in the same area outside gives thieves a

great target to make a game plan to steal it. I have been leaving my car in the hospital parking lot

over the weekend in order to ride my bike home from work. So it just sits there for somebody to "plan"...

Won't be doing that anymore.

I have taken a photo with my cell phone of your posted photo(the one with the plate showing) and am texting it to my friends that admire my car, asking them to share the text. So far I have Seal Beach, Huntington Beach, Long Beach and the South Bay area covered. I will be sending out more messages later this afternoon.

You never know until you ask... :)

Kind Regards

Philip

Life is short, enjoy the ride!
L'Ultimo Ciclista, 200Km race, Nove Colli 2012

1976 Mint Grun

Philip