• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I GOT Ripped Off by Mike Honari in Las Vegas!!

I agree with everyone on this thread - dealing with that money, face to face is the most obvious choice (100% scamproof).  

In fact, I was in the process of getting an 73 02' from Florida (i being from Toronto, Canada). After some negotiations, the seller and I came to an agreement on price. He wanted a deposit of $1000 (the car was $5000). I was soooo close to wire transfering him the deposit. But I had a better idea to avoid a scam. I contacted a local garage in the seller's area (which i found on google earth) and I explained my potential purchase to the mechanic. I asked the mechanic to receive my $1000 deposit and go directly to the seller and pay him. The mechanic agreed (for a $200 fee - which i was willing to accept). As soon as I informed the seller about how my "uncle" was going to hand deliver the deposit, he got scared away and stop any further contact with me.

This world is full of ugly shisters!

Edited by TNan

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...

I actually saw an ebay listing recently for a "custom built 2002" that was a money up front deal just like this and I'm pretty sure he was in Vegas, crazy to think someone like this could still be taking people for their money! 

74 sahara M42 

On 6/7/2017 at 7:29 PM, torquewrench80 said:

If you haven't done so file a complaint against the perp beginning with your local police dept. and then your state's attorney general. 

If it's interstate, doesn't it become federal?

Dave.

'76, totally stock. Completely.

2 hours ago, irdave said:

If it's interstate, doesn't it become federal?

I'm not a lawyer so I can't answer that question, but I do know, simply through life experience, the place to start is your local police. If they can't handle it, they will tell you who can and what steps to take. It works very similar to the chain of command in the military. Always start at the bottom and work your way up. When you visit the police ask them if it's okay to file a complaint with your state's Attorney General. Fairly certain you can, but It never hurts to ask. Make sure you have all paperwork ready including that file from Rip-Off-Report.