• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What The Heck Are These?

2fysh

Whilst working under the hood trying to fix a leaking master cylinder reservoir, I looked over and noticed these.  One has a wire running to it, and the other one the similar wire is hanging next to it.  Can someone please tell me what they are?  Could not find it in the book.  TIA

post-47508-0-70273300-1409029170_thumb.j

They are obviously not being used on your car.  They are vacuum valves.  One of them connects to the distributor to prevent vacuum advance when cold, and the other connects to the EGR to also prevent operation during cold running.

Pierre

O==00==O

69 2002 (M20), 74 tii, 76 533i, 79 323i, 80 732i, 84 323i (S50) 91 318is, 96 318ti (S52), 97 Z3, 02 330i, 03 525iT, 02 R1150 RTP.
Auxiliary Lamp Brackets  Kamei Reproduction Front Air Dam

Their real purpose for those things is revenge by German engineers for the stupid emissions stuff the Feds made 'em put on their precision engines, making them run poorly and get worse gas mileage than without 'em.  As CD would say...pull 'em off and toss 'em in your neighbor's pool.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Can the whole system be removed without problems.  There is a schematic on the drivers side hood bay that shows everything.  Is there anything in this system that has to stay?

post-47508-0-34434800-1409112343_thumb.j

Edited by 2fysh

Yep, it can all be removed.  Just make sure that you securely plug any vacuum ports that are left exposed on the intake manifold, and plug the EGR port in the exhaust manifold.  There should be several posts in the archives that cover this process.  But before removing, make sure your state doesn't inspect for emission equipment presence...

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

• 1 month later...

The wire powering the coil is a special resistance wire. Its mixed in with the emissions wiring. You need it unless you switch to a blue coil.

The diagram you posted is for the vacuum lines not the electrical wiring so it doesn't show the resistance wire.

The diagram you posted is for the vacuum lines not the electrical wiring so it doesn't show the resistance wire.

1976 BMW 2002 Chamonix. My first love.

1972 BMW 2002tii Polaris. My new side piece.