• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Brake Help.... Power Brake Unit?

sonofa2002

Hey guys, Im new to the forum.

Im a VW guy, but my dad has always dreamed of a 2002 to call his own

He found one on craigslist a couple years ago (2-3 now haha)

Its a '67 2002

47825_1596849318300_7334968_n.jpg

Now it does run... he's gotten it that far
The previous owner said, "It was running great, but the brakes started acting up so I stopped driving it, 5 or 10 years ago"

hahaha.... thanks man

My dad tore the brakes apart, and it looks like the Power Brake/Master Cylinder/Thingamajigger needs to be replaced

103g9s1.jpg

Sooo....
1) What the heck is it called
2) Can I find one for him?
3) Is it worth putting an OEM equivalent in, or is it worth converting to something more modern?

Help me, Help my dad!

Edited by sonofa2002

A guru needs to clarify this, but... that doesn't look anything like a 2002 brake booster to me.  (the booster and master cylinder are cast as one unit on this blue one)

Is this an early version??

Ed

'69 Granada... long, long ago  

'71 Manila..such a great car

'67 Granada 2000CS...way cool

sonofa2002,

Bear with us, as more information is likely needed. First, I believe that the first 2002s were technically 1968 model year cars. The 1600-2, however, was introduced in late 1966 and they were certainly available as 1967 model year cars. Perhaps you can provide your father's car's VIN. It appears on the title, the VIN tag, stamped onto the right-side passenger's inner fender, on a small tag atop the steering column and -- if the engine is the original engine -- on the engine itself, on a flat boss just aft of the starter motor. This VIN will, I hope, allow us to better know what we're working with. Can you tell, say, from the battery, whether your father's car has 6-volt or 12-volt electrical system?

Second, as BMW worked out the details of this partially new 2-door model in '66-'68, there were quite a few factory changes to details such as...brakes, clutches. And although these cars in general have excellent support in the form of parts availability, for a 40-year-old car, that is, many/most of these early versions of parts are not available and have not been available for decades. I would not be shocked to discover, for instance, that an earlier owner -- perhaps with a failing brake booster -- had come up with a solution that didn't include BMW components.

There are several threads on this forum that deal with, particularly, brake and clutch issues on the early cars, and how to address them in light of scarce or non-existent replacements. I'm not certain what the search string looks like, but maybe it includes "brake booster" and "early" or "67" or "68".

But let's start with the VIN.

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

I snapped a pic of the unit "assembled"

eppxyr.jpg

I texted my brother who lives at home to get me a VIN :)

I know there is a chance it could be an obsolete part, and finding a solution that is tried and true would be a great way around the problem

I am VERY early in the hunt :)

Its the same brake servo as rhd cars. Early cars were ofter retrofitted with the brake servo kit. They are made by ATE. Jaymic in the UK should be able to sell you a recondtioned one. The rhd cars with dual circuit brakes had 2 of them. They tend to leak if not used. Ive went through 3 sets (second hand) and putting new seals on one pair before giving up on them and going unassisted. But a recondtioned one should work for you. An alternative to that would be a lockhead style brake servo or the superior girling servo used in Hillman hunters. There are cheap lockhead copies on ebay for about 100 bucks but Ive no Idea how good or bad they are.

Power brakes were an option on really early 1600s, both in the US and overseas markets.  As was pointed out, there's no such thing as a '67 2002--at least not for the US market, as they didn't go on sale here until April 1968. 

Please post your car's VIN on the FAQ--it appears to be an early one, especially with that brake booster.  1600-2 production began with VIN 1500001 and progressed up through 1559999  Until the '68 model year US cars didn't have their own, exclusive VIN; US and Euro cars came through with VINs in the same series, differing only in such things as English vs Metric gauges, English/French/Italian/German lettering on the dash and stickers etc.  Very few 1600-2's were shipped to the US in 1966; most of our early cars are '67s.

cheers

mike

PS--an e-mail to BMW Classic will net you the exact day/month/year of your car's production, its original color and where/when it was delivered.

Edited by mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

USA 2002s up to VIN 1660342 had this type of remote Servo/Booster, according to the parts book, and 1600-2s up to VIN 1563747.

As noted in above posts, reconditioned ones can be had from Jaymic or Linwar in the UK.

At least you only need one!

A couple of years ago, I bought a pair (I have bought whole cars for less $$$) from Jaymic for my Touring. They were finally fitted earlier this year, and, so far so good.

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17