• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wiper Repairs

esty

i've read a lot of old threads which didn't help...the wipers only have one speed, fast and when i turn them off they don't stop in any certain spot but stop where they happen to be...they don't park

i have no action by pulling the signal stalk...

the good is they work fast & smooth only on the fast speed when you pull the switch to either position...FWIW, we have no idea if the wipers worked properly before we bought the car

another question...has anyone found replacement chrome nut & washer that holds the shaft in place...blunt has the chrome washers for $6.90 each

post-9202-0-15256800-1399730793_thumb.jp

Esty: I know you were having a problem with your wiper washer pump/washer relay in an earlier post. Were you able to debug that and to tell if you were getting power to the three wires in the flat pin connector on the firewall at the right times when you pull the dash switch? You may have two different problems but the lack of wiper parking is making me wonder.

If you didn't find it, there is a great post a few months back that includes pdfs of the wiring diagram and a wiper fix how to... 

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/topic/151348-any-wiper-motor-wiring-gurus-out-there/?hl=one+speed+wiper#entry972896

Rob S
'69 2002; '04 330i ZHP; 2018 X1; 2014 535i; 2017 340i

On a related note, I'm trying to find the rubber seal/bushings that go under the chrome washers.  I'm planning to find something close at McMaster-Carr, but does anyone know of a source for these?  I have looked around at online vendors and haven't seem them, but haven't tried the dealer yet.

Brendan

Esty: I know you were having a problem with your wiper washer pump/washer relay in an earlier post. Were you able to debug that and to tell if you were getting power to the three wires in the flat pin connector on the firewall at the right times when you pull the dash switch? You may have two different problems but the lack of wiper parking is making me wonder.

If you didn't find it, there is a great post a few months back that includes pdfs of the wiring diagram and a wiper fix how to... 

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/topic/151348-any-wiper-motor-wiring-gurus-out-there/?hl=one+speed+wiper#entry972896

Rob...i read the thread you kinked to and didn't find it helpful to my "no parking" problem...we never connected the washer motor but the wiper motor & switch is properly wired but only has one speed...it may be a motor problem that existed when we bought the car

most "park" threads i read deal with wipers parking in the wrong position which i believe would be an easy fix by adjusting the blades on the shafts but mine parks where ever you turn the switch off

I'm pretty sure that if the low speed is not working the auto park won't work.  The white wire on the stalk and the wiper switch control the low speed by switching a resistor (or coil) in the circuit(which is part of the wiper motor)

Check the white wire for voltage or continuity at the 3 wire connector at the engine firewall.  The grey/blue wire should have 12v and the green wire should be ground.  The white wire should vary between 12 (high speed) or 0v  (slow) speed.  Voltage should be checked at ground reference(chassis)

71 2002

06 330i

Esty:  Sorry if I was being obtuse. The speed problem could be electrical or mechanical as many posts have suggested binding in the wiper bushing makes it look like there is only one speed. I'll assume that isn't the problem.

The wipers need both continuous power and switched power and there are differences in the wiring depending on whether it is an early (three wire) wiper motor or later (five wire). If I recall correctly, you had an early (6 fuse) car which should have a three wire wiper motor. The flat pin connector on the firewall is where the power to the wiper comes together and is an easy place to check function. From that flat pin connector, the wires from the fuse box and switch take off to the wiper motor. There is a green-blue wire at the flat pin connector that is the continuous power (when key is on) from the fuse box, and takes off from the flat pin connector as a green wire to the wiper motor. No power there and there is no park. At the flat pin connector, there is also a black wire coming in that continues as a black wire to the motor that is the high speed switched power. It should show power both when you fully pull the wiper switch and (if the wiper washer relay works) when you pull the stalk switch. There is also a yellow wiring at the flat pin that continues as a yellow wire to the motor that is low speed power. It should be energized at the first position on the full switch.  

If the power at the flat pin and going into the motor is correct, then you know it isn't the switches. 

The parking mechanism itself is in the wiper motor and there are connections that can break and be repaired. The following is from the end of the pdf of Mike Self's Roundel column that is embedded in the post I linked. I haven't tried to open a wiper motor so am just passing the information on...

"It's easy to check the parking mechanism. Remove the wiper motor and find the large (Coke can diameter) sheet steel plate with three screws around the perimeter and a single screw with lock nut in the center. This plate also has two wires leading out of it. On the inside end of these two wires are the two contact arms. Make sure (1) both wires are still soldered to their contacts (2) the contact arms inside are both intact and (3) they're making contact with their circular tracks (and the tracks aren't messed up). This is the problem I had with my 69. A new contact plate cured the problem. I was able to re-solder the broken contact arm on the old one and kept it for a spare. If

you have to do the latter, solder carefully so as not to melt the plastic insulating ring that the wire passes through to reach the contact arm."

Rob S

PS: If the yellow and black wires are reversed at the switch, you'll also get just high speed. Checking which is energized at the flat pin connector with the first position of the pull switch should tell. But I don't think that explains the lack of wiper parking function. 

Rob S

we'll recheck the wires & power per your suggestion but it just occurred to me that both of the small, hair sized wires that ate connected at the motor and go inside are broken...could/would that be the cause of one speed and or no parking situation

i'm not sure how to repair those soldered on broken wires or with what type wire, there isn't very much of either left on the outside of the motor 

On a related note, I'm trying to find the rubber seal/bushings that go under the chrome washers.

Brendan, you can get those washers from Blunt. Email Steve, he'll set you up

1987 E28 535is -- Buttercup

1974 2002tii -- Pretty Penny

1994 E34 M5 -- Horehund

2001 E36/7 M Roadster -- Shaggy

Coupla things on the chrome and rubber washers that go around the wiper shafts on the cowl:  I found flat rubber washers at our local hardware store that were a perfect match for the deteriorated originals.  And for the chrome washers, you have three options:  try turning 'em over to expose the side that has been against the rubber washer--and protected from the elements--for the past 30-some years.  It should be nice and shiny.  If that doesn't work, go on-line to a marine supply place (like West Marine).  They have all sorts of chrome plated brass washers for marine applications; find one that fits.  Or, go to your local hardware store and buy a couple of proper-size stainless steel washers, and polish 'em up with a dremel tool and some polishing compound.  

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Sorry...thought you needed the washers...

A thought...BMW doesn't make its own wipers, so all those motor and linkage parts have to be made by an outside supplier.  I'll bet that nut was also used on other German cars of the same era--Porsche, Mercedes or Audi.  I'd try Porsche and Mercedes first--I remember their wiper shafts fastened the same way, and both companies stock parts for their older cars...

Worth a try anyway.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

A few years ago when I refurbished the wiper assembly in the tii, I purchased new parts from several sources.  The shiny new chrome nuts were the wrong thread pattern so I ordered some from (I think) the BMW dealer.  Not sure what happened.  I too need new ones for the 69.

I'm in the same situation on the wiper motor in the 69, the thin single strand wire from the motor to the drive housing is broken so I need to replace it.  It originally had a protective sleeve but the wire broke during removal.

IMG_9422_zpse8cf3787.jpg

IMG_9426_zpsacff9b86.jpg

IMG_9432_zpse99a72d1.jpg

IMG_7678.jpg

I hope I recorded this correctly:

(4) Harness wires:

Brown ground wire with ring terminal

Green wire soldered to outer gear drive contact tab

Yellow wire changes to thin wire with black jacket entering motor housing

Black wire soldered to inner gear drive contact tab

Single strand wire from inner gear drive contact tab into motor housing

Thin wire with sheath from inner gear drive contact tab into motor housing

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

• 6 years later...

hoping for help

i cannot get the wiper motor and linkage out of my 73...the linkage is in a position preventing it from clearing the heater fan...i don't want to pull the heater box but believe i should be able to power the motor with a jumper wire to move the linkage but reading a wiring diagram i cannot figure out which terminals i need to power and ground to move the linkage that is disconnected from the body...i need to rotate it about an inch