• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Crashed By A 17 Year Old... Not Me...

Rocan

If my mothers 383 powered Dodge station wagon could talk, I would be in jail and grounded for the last 40 years. I am glad to see the young man is OK, less any damage his father may inflict on his backside.

Edited by MrForce

1971 Corvette, BBC to LS1 swap under way
1991 Camaro, ProCharged 355
1969 Corvette Greenwood/IMSA project
1974 BMW 2002, barn find, M42 on a stand, turbo header in a box

Three words probably describe what the driver encountered...trailing throttle oversteer.  If you're not used to it, lifting in a corner with an '02 (or E21 or E30 for that matter) is a receipe for at least joining the brown shorts brigade, and at worst disaster.  If you'd learned to drive in a VW Beetle, rear engined Renault or a Corvair, you quickly learned how to handle it and/or have fun with it. 

Sign that young man up for a Street Survival School.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Mike;  It even doublely applies to 356 Porsches.  Talk about oversteer.  I corrected some of mine for autocrossing and time-trialing by installing a bigger front sway bar that my competitors refered to as a "Buick driveshaft".

Bob Napier

Bob, my 4CV made a 356 feel neutral.  Weight distribution was 31-69 front to rear.  I used to autocross with 50 lb of dumbbell weights in the spare tire well at the very front of the car.  Installed an EMPI Camber Compensator (they made 'em for Renaults too) and that really kept those swing axles from jacking up--I have a lot of first-in-class autocross trophies with that 4CV, including a few where I beat an original Mini Cooper S on tight courses...

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Three words probably describe what the driver encountered...trailing throttle oversteer. If you're not used to it, lifting in a corner with an '02 (or E21 or E30 for that matter) is a receipe for at least joining the brown shorts brigade, and at worst disaster. If you'd learned to drive in a VW Beetle, rear engined Renault or a Corvair, you quickly learned how to handle it and/or have fun with it...

Yep, I learned about trailing throttle oversteer the same way: by making a mistake!

Steve

post-41123-0-78181400-1399636737_thumb.j

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)