• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Paint Recommendation For Inside Of Bumper

cosm3os

I have a chrome bumper that's pretty rough.  The inside of it is very rusty.  I'd just like to stop it from getting worse and do minimal prep.  What kind of paint should I use?

Kyle Burkhardt
NASA Midwest Spec E30 Series Director
1976 BMW 2002 "tii"

2014 Ford Mustang GT "Boss Lite"

Yup, rough it up with wire brush, sand paper etc. then brush on some rust converter, after you could either brush or spray some black or silver paint, stick with a rustoleum type. I like the idea of the silver like jgerock suggested, less noticeable . Fred

Seems the factory must have sourced chrome bumpers from two different manufacturers--some bumpers came with the insides painted with light grey paint, while others were painted with silver paint.  

I just wire brushed the insides of my disassembled bumpers gave 'em a coat of Rustoleum anti-rust primer followed by a coat of Krylon dull aluminum.  Still look good after 15 or so years.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

• 2 weeks later...