• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bang For Your Buck Go Faster Mods

glemon

My 74 2002 seems to be running fairly well, it is great fun, but would be nice to get a little more kick in the pants when I push on the loud pedal, I am not looking to spend big bucks, not build the ultimate street motor, just maybe find 20-25 more ponies without breaking the bank or compromising drivability too much. I have a stock motor with a weber 32/26 and a hi flow exhaust. My first thought was skim the head, but I have read that is not the best option on these cars, so I am open to suggestions????

Skimming the head increases compression, but too much and your valve alignment will be off... And if you ever need to reface the head down the road in a rebuild... You may not have enough wiggle room, and may need a new head. Dont do it.

Bang for buck go-fast? Bmw high performance driving weekend or similar. Upgrade what is between the ears first. Get some cheap 6x14 e30 bottlecap rims (mine were 100$ for four) and x4 falken 615k's (115$ each for me). Uprated shocks and springs will allow you to get the most out of them. I run IE sways, stage 1springs, and bilstein hd shocks for great street comfort and lap times that top my 09 328.

1973 2002Tii (Pacific Blue)

1984 911 3.2 Carrera (Platnum Metallic)

2009 328xi (Black Sapphire Metallic)

2010 Mazda Speed3 (Black Metallic)

The HP Q is all about weight, put her on a diet and you will feel the differnce, Light rims, ditch the bumper shocks, quite heavy and heck drive without bumpers to feel the diff, the craftman toolbox in the trunk, fit what you need in a baggie, you will be amazed

Happy Trails to u~ Dave Miller
76 Golf~Rhiannon~BM Mascot~*~97 328is~Silver Ghost~*~68 1600~Wisperin Beast~*~70-02~Bumble Beast~*~76 02~Beast~

Keep smilin all the way

Enjoy your 2002 for what it is and don't wast your money trying to make it something it is not, if you want a fast BMW take the money you save and buy a 90's M3 or a 98-2000 M roadster like mine, then you will have a 3.2 M motor, M brakes and M suspension good for 160mph and 0-60  in 5.2. :)  The best of both BMW worlds classic and fast.

LOL! dang, too late...my 2002 already eats E36 M3's and M shoeboxes for snack treats on track. (don't see M roadsters at tracks due to the lack of proper rollover protection.) classic and fast in one box!

a 2002 can be whatever you want it to be. that is the beauty of it being an ancient econobox with a roundel on it. choose your poison and mix it up! for cheaper fun, pull some weight of of a 2002, do a few basic mods to the engine and suspension and have a blast. driving a slow car fast brings a big smile to your face.

2xM3

Okay I know everyone will poo-poo on me for saying this but im gonna say it anyways. Aside from the usual exhaust work, and carbs, look into nitrous...

Why not??? Even a small 35-50 shot would go a long ways. I have a wet nitrous setup in my 2002 right now just waiting for my m20 swap to finish. 50 hp is all you need, and if you wanna get crazy, beef up your ignition (a general tune up can work wonders aswell) and play with it if you feel like running a bigger shot... Easy hp, its there when you want it (and yes, I have the whole bottle heater, purge, blah blah blah, it will be going direct port into some Dbilas ITB's when I finish the 3.1 stroker next summer)

As for those saying "Oh you cant swap an engine in an 02, it ruins the car"... Nah, you can still slay in the corners with a swapped 2002, and you wont get left in the dust of other cars on the straights. Best of both worlds really!

Edited by 13

1974 2002 - M20/Getrag 260 swap underway

Okay I know everyone will poo-poo on me for saying this but im gonna say it anyways. Aside from the usual exhaust work, and carbs, look into nitrous...

Why not??? Even a small 35-50 shot would go a long ways. I have a wet nitrous setup in my 2002 right now just waiting for my m20 swap to finish. 50 hp is all you need, and if you wanna get crazy, beef up your ignition (a general tune up can work wonders aswell) and play with it if you feel like running a bigger shot... Easy hp, its there when you want it (and yes, I have the whole bottle heater, purge, blah blah blah, it will be going direct port into some Dbilas ITB's when I finish the 3.1 stroker next summer)

As for those saying "Oh you cant swap an engine in an 02, it ruins the car"... Nah, you can still slay in the corners with a swapped 2002, and you wont get left in the dust of other cars on the straights. Best of both worlds really!

Nitrous.... It's not just for breakfast

Mike Katsoris CCA#13294                                                

74 InkaGangster 4281862

2016 Porsche Boxster Spyder,    2004 BMW R1150RT,  
76 Estorilblau 2740318                      

Why not??? Even a small 35-50 shot would go a long ways.

Nitrous.... It's not just for breakfast

Damn, now I need to add a turbo-encabulator and run the thing on nitro-methane just to keep up with you guys. B) --FB

Edited by FB73tii

--Fred

'74tii (Colorado) track car

'69ti (Black/Red/Yellow) rolling resto track car

'73tii (Fjord....RIP)

If you do that, I'm dusting off my flux capacitor!

Nice blog Fred!  I finally read it.

Damn, now I need to add a turbo-encabulator and run the thing on nitro-methane just to keep up with you guys. B) --FB

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

But why not, its been used for ages, its relatively safe (especially a small wet shot), and its not going to break the bank and the only thing you gotta look into besides beefing up your fuel pressure (if you run wet) is to run one step colder plugs. 50 shots and under dont require adjustments to timing. Seems like a solid easy way to make power to me, they use it in drag racing, to ski-doo's, and waaaay back in airplanes during the war.

A bit of education on the subject would probably change a lot of others opinions on nitrous...

Edited by 13

1974 2002 - M20/Getrag 260 swap underway

A bit of education on the subject would probably change a lot of others opinions on nitrous...

I am not down on nitrous, but don't know much about it and associate it with a short boost of power rather than sustained power for say several hours of mountain driving. Didn't know it was used in airplanes--perhaps you can educate us or provide links with the real scoop. I have heard of very small shots used to spool up turbos to reduce lag, that sounds cool. What are the economics if used continuously? E.g., how many $$ per hour? And at what point do you need to do internal mods to handle the added power? Thx--Fred

--Fred

'74tii (Colorado) track car

'69ti (Black/Red/Yellow) rolling resto track car

'73tii (Fjord....RIP)

+100, also check that you aren't losing power somewhere before beafing up the engine.

Since no one else has said it I thought I'd bring up that it is power-to-WEIGHT, so if you can't afford to add power maybe look for ways to lose weight?

Hey fella watch it, 6'0" 210, not exactly a twig, but not an elephant either.  Actually there is a great article by Peter Egan about racing Formula Ford or Formula Vee where he talks about all the cars being so equal that all the drivers are looking for a way to get any advantage they can, looking for ways to shave pounds and even ounces from parts, then goes on in typical Egan fashion to say something like, "then I looked in the mirror and started thinking about my personal power to weight ratio"

But getting back to it, lots of comments I have heard have been along the lines of, "if you wanted a dragster you bought the wrong car"

I am not looking for a dragster, and know the 2002 with a stock block is not a good basis to start on one, and I do take a holistic approach to modifications, if you are really bored you can read the article about how I built my Triumph TR250 published by Moss Motoring.  http://www.mossmotoring.com/the-all-arounder/ Most imports from the late sixties and early seventies had a few extra ponies in the euro version, no longer saddled with emission controls, for some cars it can be pretty easy to put the euro ponies back in, or mix and match the best parts from various years to make the car "be all it can be" (for example the 2002 ti made 120 hp) so I was kind of looking into how you might do some of that as one aspect of what I might do to the car.  A little less weight and a little more oomph can make a car much more fun in the twisty bits.  A lot of talk of track days, which I have tried, but I really enjoy autocrossing more, that short intense rush.  It is fun to beat the Miatas with my 45 year old sports car. 

Judging by the pics and comments in other posts have seen here a bunch of you aren't at all wed to stock specification. 

Good thought on the bumpers, I have a 74, and that was one of the first things I thought of when I got the car, convert it to the earlier spec to save some weight.  Long time car guy, imports, light and sporty, with emphasis on light weight and good handling, but totally new to the 2002 world, maybe I need to learn the secret handshake before I ask so many questions. :D

Edited by glemon

Lincoln, NE

74 2002

68 Triumph TR250

Harry 6422, Love the M roadster, great color, was looking at those a couple years ago, but decided it probably wasn't going to happen with a kid starting college, but as far as moderns go, it is on my short list.

Lincoln, NE

74 2002

68 Triumph TR250

You're doing well so far (other than being late to the game!) :D

You can source an fg rear bumper from folks on the board. One possibly good link: http://www.bmw2002faq.com/topic/140634-fiberglass-bumpers/?hl=fiberglass+rear+bumper#entry927010

Euro tii's had higher compression pistons.

Cheers,

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

Harry 6422, Love the M roadster, great color, was looking at those a couple years ago, but decided it probably wasn't going to happen with a kid starting college, but as far as moderns go, it is on my short list.

BMW only produce 10,501 M roadster from 1998-2002 for North America, 201 of these were Evergreen and 176 had the evergreen and black nappa  interior like mine. With low production numbers like these,the performance they offer and the price they are available for right now I would buy it and have the kid get a student loan:) Prices will only be going up on these cars as the number on the road falls in years to come and they become a semi collectable. 

Edited by harry6422

1975 BMW 2002 Taiga

2000 BMW M Roadster evergreen

Don't know if anyone mentioned this but.... i would say get a sync-link for that 32/36. 

Its a $50ish mod to the carb that opens up both butterflies in sync instead of progressive.  Easy mod with good results.  Jetting prescription can be found in the forums.

-H