• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

And, From The "i Am A Big Doofus" Department...

thehackmechanic

Do you know how much hydraulic fluid winds up on the floor when you hook up your pressure bleeder to bleed the new clutch slave when you haven't, in fact, screwed the hose from the slave into the clutch master cylinder?

Rather a lot, actually...

The new book The Best Of The Hack Mechanic available at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0998950742, inscribed copies of all books available at www.robsiegel.com

1972 tii (Louie), 1973 2002 (Hampton), 1975 ti tribute (Bertha), 1972 Bavaria, 1973 3.0CSi, 1979 Euro 635CSi, 1999 Z3, 1999 M Coupe, 2003 530i sport, 1974 Lotus Europa Twin Cam Special (I know, I know...)

It happens to the best of us.

Mike Katsoris CCA#13294                                                

74 InkaGangster 4281862

2016 Porsche Boxster Spyder,    2004 BMW R1150RT,  
76 Estorilblau 2740318                      

So far with in the 3 months I have owned the 2002 I have:

Not tightened the front right lug nuts all the way, and drove around the neighborhood thinking "what's that strange noise coming from the front tire?' luckily figured it out well before any disaster could occur

And last weekend, deciding it would not be a problem to pull a big box that was sitting in the front passenger seat out with me through the driver's door, thereby ripping a hole in my headliner just forward of my head so I can see it when I am driving...yarks!

Don't have enough space to go into all the adventures from early in my career.....spilled fluid is not so bad, its the break the thing you just bought, scratch the paint, or mess up the NLS part stupid mistakes that really drive me crazy.

Lincoln, NE

74 2002

68 Triumph TR250

red to positive and black to negative.....  I have not (yet) made the reversed connection mistake but a neighbor did while jump starting his car.

Most importantly: remember to count how many times you have done things right!   :)

'71 MGB - sold   '74 2002 - sold

'89 XR4Ti - sold  '94 Miata R Package - sold

'73 tii - restoration project - sold

yeah, I once changed the oil in my '69 Econoline and it took ten quarts because I forgot the plug.

No fun seeing that puddle run out from under there, then bumming a ride to buy more oil. It was a long time ago, but I remember it well.

I did something amazingly similar as a broke high school kid. Poured an entire oil change worth of Mobil1 straight through the engine and into the catch basin under the car.

- Justin

1973 2002tii

The toolbox is where truth and contentment lie... -James May

Yeah, well, I smacked myself in the face removing the shift knob from my E30. So, there.

I also had a roommate help me struggle fro half an hour to remove a rear axle nut before remembering "lefty-loosey, righty-tighty". We probably tightened that thing to 400 ft-lbs.

Edited by ClayW

ClayW
1967 1600-2 - M42 - 1521145          Follow my project at www.TX02.blogspot.com          E30 DD Project Blog

Ah yes, torque... I learned the difference between foot pounds and inch pounds on the steering box of my '69 Torino (a LONG time ago). It did tighten up the steering, for a little while.
I am not sure why I find admitting to Doofusness cathartic. (Cathartic in the emotional sense, not the medicinal one). It is a good thing I am not running for office.

I have no fear. And less shame.

The new book The Best Of The Hack Mechanic available at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0998950742, inscribed copies of all books available at www.robsiegel.com

1972 tii (Louie), 1973 2002 (Hampton), 1975 ti tribute (Bertha), 1972 Bavaria, 1973 3.0CSi, 1979 Euro 635CSi, 1999 Z3, 1999 M Coupe, 2003 530i sport, 1974 Lotus Europa Twin Cam Special (I know, I know...)

I have no fear. And less shame.

As I read through this I do remember one more from the myriad of, "what the hell was I thinking" stories that bear repeating.  When we had a young family we had a Mercury Voyager minivan as the family car (I saved face a little bit by driving a first generation Nissan Sentra SE-R as my daily transport, remember the one that they used to advertise beating a BMW 3 series in a drag race?) Anyway, it needed new front brake pads, I could not for the life of me get the caliper to release out enough for the new pads to clear the disc, even when I loosened the bleed nipple to let fluid out. 

Of course I applied greater and greater force with bigger and bigger pry bars, and then I cracked the caliper, how the heck do you crack a caliper?.  The funny thing is the car was still under warranty, and my wife called the dealer and told her the "stupid husband" story, and they towed to car to their shop AND fixed it for free (presume they charged it off as warranty work, but still)  For that good memory alone I was sorry to see Mercury go as a manufacturer.

Edited by glemon

Lincoln, NE

74 2002

68 Triumph TR250

Jacking up my 02 in the back with the parking brake off using the factory jack. Trying to remove brake drums with the parking brake on plus rusty hub (They sound like a shotgun coming off!).  Putting the oil cap back on, tightening the rad cap, putting the oil cap on too loose on my truck and it falling off. Driving my 02 for a month with a siezed front caliper... I got plenty of dumb stuff I've done in my life. Depending on if I win a vehicle at auction I may be doing another here soon :P

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2