• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

"memoirs Of A Hack Mechanic" #1 Selling Car Repair Book On Amazon!

Agree with everyone else. I'm most of the way through and love the book, a great read and a fantastic reference up there with my old ratty copy of Muir's VW classic, and have just been planning my AC resurrection.

Rob, I hope to run into you sometime here on the East coast. give a shout if you're passing through Brooklyn. 

76 2002 Fjord Sunroof AC

90 VW Vanagon (Ford repowered)

and my daily commuter: a Bicycle!

Rob

Congratulations on the book hitting the big time. Please don't forget us "little people" now that you're famous!

Mike Katsoris CCA#13294                                                

74 InkaGangster 4281862

2016 Porsche Boxster Spyder,    2004 BMW R1150RT,  
76 Estorilblau 2740318                      

I'll order it today.  I would suggest that you get into WBUR and have a conversation about replacing Tom and Ray on NPR. You may have to pay them a royalty to use their laugh tracks, but you are in the right area and the timing may be perfect. I wouldn't want to have you doing any more of this self-promoting, but you should send an autographed copy to Jay Leno. Let us know when you go on. Opra? Does Bentley offer the PR support you need to make these things happen. If not, don't wait for them, get it done yourself. It's kind of a shelf life of opportunity thing;)

I've followed your posts and columns for years. I've enjoyed them and congratulate you on the success. Now the question is, how far do you want to take it?

I'll order it today.  I would suggest that you get into WBUR and have a conversation about replacing Tom and Ray on NPR. You may have to pay them a royalty to use their laugh tracks, but you are in the right area and the timing may be perfect. I wouldn't want to have you doing any more of this self-promoting, but you should send an autographed copy to Jay Leno. Let us know when you go on. Opra? Does Bentley offer the PR support you need to make these things happen. If not, don't wait for them, get it done yourself. It's kind of a shelf life of opportunity thing;)

I've followed your posts and columns for years. I've enjoyed them and congratulate you on the success. Now the question is, how far do you want to take it?

+1, tho I sort of fell out of BMWCCA membership. Always read and enjoyed your column, Rob!

Cheers,

Ray

Edited by ray_koke

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

• 3 months later...

Since someone else dug up this thread, let me say that, for the holidays, I am offering personally inscribed copies of "Memoirs of a Hack Mechanic." For the standard list price, I'll inscribe anything you like. Click on the PayPal link below, and when you're logged in you'll see a check box labeled "what inscription would you like?" Click it and enter your inscription (e.g., "Janet, read this and you'll understand why I can't sell that 2002 that's been rusting out back for 30 years," or "Tom, if you EVER get as bad as this guy, I'm outa here"). If there's any difficulty or you don't have a PayPal account, message me directly.

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=SYZPCUHNSMXW6

The new book The Best Of The Hack Mechanic available at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0998950742, inscribed copies of all books available at www.robsiegel.com

1972 tii (Louie), 1973 2002 (Hampton), 1975 ti tribute (Bertha), 1972 Bavaria, 1973 3.0CSi, 1979 Euro 635CSi, 1999 Z3, 1999 M Coupe, 2003 530i sport, 1974 Lotus Europa Twin Cam Special (I know, I know...)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Rob,

Thought you might like to know that your book is even being enjoyed as far away as Sydney Australia!

Thanks for a great read, believe it or not I couldnt put it down. As my daughter said "Dad the last book that you read like that was Harry Potter" so it probably says a bit about your book and not so much about me! :)

Anyway thanks and have a great Christmas, albeit a bit colder than mine.

Regards

Richard.

Richard, thanks so much. I really appreciate that.

Indulge me for a quick story. When buyers order my personally-inscribed book, it's easy to miss the checkbox for the inscription. So when an order comes in without an inscription, I reach back with an e-mail to the buyer to ask if they meant to leave it blank. I received a response from a guy saying "I guess my wife ordered a book for me." I felt terrible for tipping him off; I should've noticed the PayPal name was his but the ship-to name was hers (he said no big deal, he would've noticed the PayPal charge anyway). But because I spilled the beans, I thought I'd give him a Car Guy's dream inscription as if it was from her. I wrote:

"To the best husband a woman could ever ask for. Go ahead and buy as many cars as you want, buy as many parts as you want, spend as much time in the garage and with your car guy buddies as you want. When you're done, I'll be waiting for you, with all my wifely hotness. Love forever..." then signed her name.

I also enclosed a note saying that, if it's too over-the-top, I'll be glad to send them something more, uh, restrained.

This is fun.

The new book The Best Of The Hack Mechanic available at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0998950742, inscribed copies of all books available at www.robsiegel.com

1972 tii (Louie), 1973 2002 (Hampton), 1975 ti tribute (Bertha), 1972 Bavaria, 1973 3.0CSi, 1979 Euro 635CSi, 1999 Z3, 1999 M Coupe, 2003 530i sport, 1974 Lotus Europa Twin Cam Special (I know, I know...)

When I finished reading my signed copy, I made my wife read the first few chapters, then gave it to my 16 year old son for a read.  Great book.  So much truth and goodness in there.  Now, back to the garage to work on BMWs and LandCuisers!

fjinva

74 2002tii

Thanks folks.

I had two Car Guy buddies order books for each other; I could tell from the names, the inscriptions, and the shipping addresses. I have no idea if they knew.

I've been sending them out Priority Mail Two Day, but even doing that, I think the window closed yesterday (Saturday) to get them delivered by Christmas. Orders are still coming in, though, and I have another batch to send out Monday. Click on the link in my signature to order.

--Rob