• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

"memoirs Of A Hack Mechanic" #1 Selling Car Repair Book On Amazon!

I'm a little uneasy about self-promotion (I think my working guideline is do it until it feels icky, then do it once more, then stop), but Bentley Publishers has done some amazing things, and I'm trying to do my part.

Two weeks ago, "Memoirs of a Hack Mechanic: How Fixing Broken BMWs Helped Make Me Whole (a memoir with actual useful stuff)" had twin reviews in The New York Times and The Boston Globe. Last week the Roundel review came out, penned by our own Paul Wegweiser. Bentley did a local Father's Day promotion with radio spots on the local NPR station, including during Car Talk and Wait Wait Don't Tell Me. Yesterday autoblog.com published a review that got picked up by many web aggregators. Excerpts from and links to all the reviews can be seen at http://www.bentleypublishers.com/bmw/history/memoirs-of-a-hack-mechanic-by-rob-siegel/reviews.html.

I am astonished to say that, at present, "Memoirs of a Hack Mechanic" is the #1 selling car repair book on Amazon (it rocks in and out of the #1 slot depending on when you check). Not bad for a book that isn't really about car repair.

Perhaps even more amazing are the other ranking numbers. It's #12 in Humor-->Parenting and Families. Forgive me, but that's, well, funny! And the overall ranking... as of this post, the book has broken into Amazon's top 1000 best-selling books. Because, hey, a book with a round tail light and a guy in an insulated mechanic's suit on the cover is designed to appeal to everyone, right?

I can't tell you how good it feels to, as Paul Wegweiser says, shine a light on this car guy thing we all do. Indulging passions. Trying to keep 'em running. Finding that balance between playful madness and flat-out insanity. I'm still figuring it out, just like the rest of you.

Anyone who has purchased and spread the word about the book, thank you from the bottom of my heart. If you've read and like the book, if you could post a review on Amazon, Bentley and I would be even more in your debt than we already are.

--Rob (just like you, only possibly smiling harder. unless you're Adam who wrote the petrolicious piece. he seemed to be smiling particularly hard.)

post-32582-0-33935000-1371252069_thumb.j

Edited by thehackmechanic

The new book The Best Of The Hack Mechanic available at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0998950742, inscribed copies of all books available at www.robsiegel.com

1972 tii (Louie), 1973 2002 (Hampton), 1975 ti tribute (Bertha), 1972 Bavaria, 1973 3.0CSi, 1979 Euro 635CSi, 1999 Z3, 1999 M Coupe, 2003 530i sport, 1974 Lotus Europa Twin Cam Special (I know, I know...)

Congrats, Rob!   Baurspotting loves The Hack Mechanic!  Full Steam Ahead!

http://baurspotting.blogspot.com/2013/06/the-hack-mechanic-is-1-in-amazon-car.html

Tom

Connecticut

Home for Feral BMWs

1973 2002 Malaga (with frosting), 1982 323i Baur

1991 325ix (winter), 1977 320i (carbed), 1989 325ix

1989 325iC (summer), 1979 323i (project), 1978 320i (parts)

http://baurspotting.blogspot.com/

Whooo  Hooo more bucks for the Lotus!! Plus it is a great read....

Earl

74 02Lux

15 M235i

72 Volvo 1800ES

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- George Orwell

Got my autographed copy a couple weeks ago. I Told my wife she needs to read the fist few chapters because it puts into words what I have been unable to articulate for years. "It's an old car/BMW/thing"  is about the best I could do.  Although she is very patient to allow me my "time in the garage", Rob puts into words what compels us to day dream about "the perfect stance" and how to justify another parts order from Blunt. Fantastic read. 

Well done Rob.

Mike

76 Malaga (Molly)

Mods:

Weber

Recaro

Eibach

Bilstein

Panasport

Ansi

Parker

Ireland Eng.

'72 Tii Project

Congrats, Rob! I'm getting one for Father's Day and I can't wait.

I'm excited to see what version you selected for the ending: does the guy get the girl or get the car?

74 '02- M2 under construction by SnailPace Restoration, Inc.

88 M3 unmodified when retired from track

97 332is CrewCab (M3/4/5 )

99 MCoupe-- track rat

<<I'm excited to see what version you selected for the ending: does the guy get the girl or get the car?>>

In my world, the guy gets the girl AND seven cars, but the girl gets six tarantulas. 

The new book The Best Of The Hack Mechanic available at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0998950742, inscribed copies of all books available at www.robsiegel.com

1972 tii (Louie), 1973 2002 (Hampton), 1975 ti tribute (Bertha), 1972 Bavaria, 1973 3.0CSi, 1979 Euro 635CSi, 1999 Z3, 1999 M Coupe, 2003 530i sport, 1974 Lotus Europa Twin Cam Special (I know, I know...)

• 1 month later...

I was at a lapping day on the atlantic side of canada chatting between sessions.  Without even being in the conversation, or mentioning my Tii a few guys were taking about how good a read this book is.  I still need to get it. 

1973 2002Tii (Pacific Blue)

1984 911 3.2 Carrera (Platnum Metallic)

2009 328xi (Black Sapphire Metallic)

2010 Mazda Speed3 (Black Metallic)

Thanks guys. Hope to meet some of you Left Coasters at O'Fest.

Been reading it slowly for a couple months now. Great book! Can't tell you the number of times I've laughed reading it :)

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

Just got my copy.  What a great read; a combination of humor, philosophy and justification for my need to fix old rusty cars.  The chapter on DIY auto air conditioning is worth the price of admission; I've always been leery of working on my a/c, but am now primed to get a set of gauges and start being one of the cool guys!

Ian
'76 M2

'02 325iT