Clutch Sticking/clicking?

Hey Folks.  I have noticed that my clutch is making a clicking noise in the middle of letting it out.  It happens right around the point where it engages.  it make a little popping or clicking noise.  Hot or cold, engine running or not.  It might be sticking, but I don't know. I can feel the click/pop through the pedal.  What could be the problem?  Any input would be appreciated.

brakepedalparts.jpg02mechclutch.jpgCLUTCH PRESSURE plate coming apart - spring fingers failing

dry, rusty, dirty throw out bearing tube that the throw-out bearing slides on

the tube is scored and scratched up and no lubricant present

your clutch slave piston or throwout lever is hitting something - LOOK with a light

while a helper depresses the pedal

pedal box has an issue with pedals - dirt, broken spring??????????????????

take your pick and keep us updated with yer findings

Edited by c.d.iesel

• 11 months later...

ME TOO!

I made the mistake long ago of not replacing the pressure plate when I did a clutch and throw out bearing.  Now I'm paying the price.  Clutch creaks when depressing.  Fingers are worn.

Once I isolated the problem from underneath the car I followed the advice of a senior German BMW mechanic and shot a small amount of WD40 onto the fingers at 0 and 180 degrees rotation.  You can see the fingers through the lever hole and aim easily with long red nozzle on WD40 can.  Flashlight required.

Creaking is much less evident in the pedal, but still there.

TWO Things!

1.  It's best to replace pressure plate.

2.  Also grease the slave/level connection and the fulcrum under the lever.  You may be lucky.

I won't be surprised if someone says I'm crazy for spraying lubricant onto pressure plate.  I thought the mechanic was.  He assured me that the clutch plate would not be affected, and that WD40 is not the greatest lubricant so it would burn off the clutch quickly in a worst case scenario.

Anyone had experience with the creaking turning into an epic fail of the pressure plate causing serious damage?

Mine is doing something different.  It's exactly as the OP explained--a single pop when releasing the pedal.  It's intermittent, with no rhyme or reason.  The only time it is more than an annoyance is occasionally when I am moving from a stop, there's no feathering, then the pop and the clutch engages suddenly.  I'm guessing that's the key to the diagnosis.  Hope its this:  "dry, rusty, dirty throw out bearing tube that the throw-out bearing slides on the tube is scored and scratched up and no lubricant present"