• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1602 instrument panel lights

Supertheory

Recently thought that replacing the bulbs in the instrument panel would give me more light on the gauges at night. Not so much. With headlights on the panel is very dim. And turning the headlight switch goes from very dim to dim to black very fast. Any tips?

1967 1602 Bristol

Might be corrosion on the resistor bar they used to control brightness, or dimness in your case, spray a little wd or pb into switch put on a classic cd and keep time by rolling they dimmer back and forth, after the second track you should see improvement and by halfway through it should work like new, high dollar fix is replace the switch. Mine works like new after a good dose of the song remains the same..........................German release

Happy Trails to u~ Dave Miller
76 Golf~Rhiannon~BM Mascot~*~97 328is~Silver Ghost~*~68 1600~Wisperin Beast~*~70-02~Bumble Beast~*~76 02~Beast~

Keep smilin all the way

Might be corrosion on the resistor bar they used to control brightness, or dimness in your case, spray a little wd or pb into switch put on a classic cd and keep time by rolling they dimmer back and forth, after the second track you should see improvement and by halfway through it should work like new, high dollar fix is replace the switch. Mine works like new after a good dose of the song remains the same..........................German release

Can't imagine what inagaddadavida live would do !

I would be hesitant to use WD-40 to spray into your switch. Over time it collects dust and dirt. Much better to use the Wurth that c.d. recommends although it's not as readibly available and, like all Wurth products it is usually amoung the best but are also a little pricy. Next best, and available at most Auto Parts stores, is something like CRC Lectra-Motive Electric Parts Cleaner. It removes oil and dirt and leaves no residue.

Bob Napier

I would be hesitant to use WD-40 to spray into your switch. Over time it collects dust and dirt. Much better to use the Wurth that c.d. recommends although it's not as readibly available and, like all Wurth products it is usually amoung the best but are also a little pricy. Next best, and available at most Auto Parts stores, is something like CRC Lectra-Motive Electric Parts Cleaner. It removes oil and dirt and leaves no residue.

Bob Napier

The CRC cleaner works great - but pricey. I'm looking for some Wurth lubricant instead of this lithium spray grease.

11609011.jpg

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

This product when sprayed on electrical contacts and let dry, it inhibits corosion and does not gather dirt. It works well on locks too. I use it on the headlight contacts. I use the Heavy Duty stuff on more harsh environments where I don't want rustin, like chasis bolts (that are not behind the autooiler M10 engine/trans).

Besides, it's made in USA!

http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/other-products/cleaners-and-protectants/mp-metal-protector/

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

properly on a 6v system...try lighting a flashlight bulb with one 1.5 volt battery when it's meant to be used with two batteries totalling 3 volts. It just barely glows. Same thing with your car. Get the proper voltage bulbs as well as clean your headlight switch and that will help a lot, although a 6 volt system will never give you lights as bright as 12v.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite