• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

camshaft regrind...

Robotin

ive been looking into getting my stock cam reground, dont really wanna way to pay out the ass the IE regrinds, so i went to a local machine and he asked what cam lift and duration i wanted, i told him the specs i wanted (282 duration 9.5mm lift), he told me he could not go that far because of the maximum safe regrind. he is not familiar with European cars, especially BMW's.

i just went and got a stock regrind.

i was curious if anyone has ever reground their stock cam and how far they went..

and if anyone knew what the "maximum safe grind" is on a stock cam...

and any other helpful info is already extremely apprecaited a head of time..

" No Free Lunch " comes to mind when you want more power.

deliver more News Papers and save up.

wait and see what others say...........

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

He likely measures duration in a different way than IE/Shrick.... and 282 for him would be as aggressive as a 316 or something.

I wish I could explain the two different ways of measuring cam duration, but its early, and I'm not all that clear on it myself. Do some searching.

Bring a Welder

1974 2002, 1965 Datsun L320 truck, 1981 Yamaha XS400, 1983 Yamaha RX50, 1992 Miata Miata drivetrain waiting on a Locost frame, 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser

There is a parade of confusion over camshaft numbers. Often a very good cam is shunned because the rating method differs from the "in" brand.

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

I have used Schneider Cams for years they have done 3 2002 cams for me 284 & 292 now in my car cost is $124.99 with your core. Great people too

www.schneidercams.com

1970 4 speed 2002 (Daily driver/track car ) 
1974  Hybrid powered twin cam engine, Pig Cheeks , ( now a round tail.) Getting ready to Sell 

the costs of car living :

jesus! - $125 - $160 is like FREE for a cam shaft

how much is 12 gal's of Hi-Test Gasoline where you live ?

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

Thanks to Toby for connecting a couple of us up with Delta, I have a reground cam that they did. They only charged $65 if IIRC. Someone at Bav Auto also relayed a great experience with them.

I don't understand the #'s but I have a mild lift. Their #'s don't align w/ others like mentioned above. Someone want to translate the specs? Hopefully it's not stock specs! 8-0 I told them my driving habbits and motor set-up & asked them to grind it accordingly.

Scott

DeltaCamRegrind041220110001.jpg

1976 2002 Custom Dk Blue w/ Pearl

1975 2002A Sahara (sold Feb 2008)

SiteNamecopy.jpg

He likely measures duration in a different way than IE/Shrick.... and 282 for him would be as aggressive as a 316 or something.

I wish I could explain the two different ways of measuring cam duration, but its early, and I'm not all that clear on it myself. Do some searching.

Some companies measure duration from 0 lift (the base lobe circle directly before the cam) to 0 lift, which gives a longer duration then the way other companies measure which is from a point where lift just begins to occur (lets say, 1mm lift) to just before it closes completely (again, 1mm lift). When giving specs for a custom cam grind it is best to give measurements for lift at xxx degrees. Just specifying lift and duration is not enough; You need to consider how quickly you want the valve to open, close, overlap, stay at maximum lift, etc etc.

If you can't be bothered to go through all that work, than you don't need the benefits of a custom grind and you are far better off going with a pre made grind from IE or Schrick or whoever. Cam design really is fascinating stuff, and one of my favorite things to model.

1974 Grey European Market BMW 2002 

1976 Yellow BMW 2002 "GOLDENROD" SOLD

1972 Yellow Austin Mini 1000

A bunch of Bikes...

im not trying to get a hi performance regrind for pennies.. didnt mean it to sound like that.

i was just curious of other people's experiences on different types of regrinds.

and i figured while the cam is out, i would go see what it cost to get a regrind.

a friend of mine had his m20 cam reground and they told him the max safe grind was a 274* but i read that some guys are running a 292 regrind and i was curious how they got that high on a regrind.

also im on stock everything, so i could not really go very far.

deliver more News Papers and save up.

That gets my vote for post of the day.

FYI - IE's regrinds on supplied core are $155, which isn't 'pennies' but nor is it over-the-top in price. -KB[/quote

x2

Ha. The bits of info you really want are scattered through the FAQ,

so I can only say 'search' with tongue firmly in cheek.

The duration numbers we use are with 1mm of lift. Cam lift, I think,

but won't swear.

The duration numbers the domestic grinders use are with .050" of cam lift.

That means that their 240 degree (crank) is our 292, ish. Big ish.

Because the Schrick numbers DON'T specify ramp angle, which is a big

trick in sliding cam geometry. The overlap's also a big deal-

but since it's pretty dependent upon ramp angle, one 112 degree 'overlap'

cam is NOT always the same as another.

From Delta, I've had many cams, not all of which I understood.

Their prices are very reasonable, Scott knows a lot about cams- but not

everything about 2002 cam and rocker geometry. So a mild to moderate grind from them

will be a nice bump over stock, but a very aggressive grind may or may

not be what you'd hoped for.

It's worth going a bit beyond stock, since the BMW cam's a bit conservative

in both lift and duration. There's a limited amount of improvement available,

though, as the valves on a 2002 are pretty fantastic for their era.

So while you might really like the jump from stock to a 292, you might

find that a 304 is actually worse for what you want.

If you want to see what we're missing, see if you can dig up the 'roller camshaft'

thread.

I wonder what happened with that- it'd be such a great thing, IF it can

be made to work reliably in the space available.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL