Guest Anonymous

Wheel Bearing Play

11 posts / 591 viewsLast Reply

Guest Anonymous

When I install new wheel bearings, should there be slight chuck in the wheel when I grab it at the 12 and 6 and rock it moderately hard. I can tighten the nut another 1/2 turn with a ratchet so that goes completely away but the manual say finger tight only

Thanks,

Andrew

which manual is that? As I recall, there is a process involving torque settings. Don't have my manual handy. But there should be no play.

I tighten to 20FTlbs while turning the wheel, then back it off one hole and insert the NEW cotter pin. Spin the wheel, there should be very little drag. G

Similar to my recollection: 18 ft lbs while turning wheel, back off a flat. Notched washer behind nut should just move. But it's been a while.

Guest Anonymous

Factory Manual says torque to 24ftlbs while spinning. Then loosen nut until endplay is felt. Tighten to 2.2 ft*lbs and then back off to nearest pin. Slotted washer should move back and forth easily.

When I do this procedure, I can feel and hear a slight rock when I grab the wheel at the 12 and 6 position and rock it.

i use a method of going back and forth on the nut between about 15-25 ft/lb while turning the wheel, so everything gets seated nicely and evenly greased, then tighten so there's minimal drag and add split pin/cotter pin.

it's all in the feel.

Guest Anonymous

Inka'd02 and Hans are correct - ignore the folks that want to make them have no play.

yeah, I found that if they DIDN'T have a very slight bit of play top- to- bottom

they tended to overheat in hard use....

t