• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Big Bumper Love...

Rocan

At first I hated the big bumpers. Even now, I still think they don't look very good at all, but I love them for practical reasons.

I live in New York City, the home of scratched bumpers and low speed fender benders. I've owned the car for about 3 months now, and have had unusually bad luck with people bumping into me (I think they get stuck admiring the car and then don't realize I'm getting closer to them, I've seen two people rear end other people doing just this). I've gotten rear ended 3 times in traffic, twice by the same damn guy within a block (I mean, seriously?!). But I couldn't complain. No damage whatsoever. You just feel the bumpers compress and return back to normal, and the car is fine. Not so much with new bumpers. Last night I was driving home and getting onto the Brooklyn Queens Expressway when the lady in front of me slammed on her brakes on the on ramp for no reason whatsoever. I cursed as I hit my brakes right away, but still slid into her rear because of the rain. I got out, she got out, and before I could say anything she said "it's fine" and sped off. My thinking is a lack of insurance. I didn't really mind, considering it was technically my fault for rear ending her as far as a court would see. My bumper? Fine.

Also, they make a fantastic seat when you are hanging out next to your car.

Who else loves their big bumpers?

1974 Grey European Market BMW 2002 

1976 Yellow BMW 2002 "GOLDENROD" SOLD

1972 Yellow Austin Mini 1000

A bunch of Bikes...

1+ on the late style bumpers , they work. I have reinstalled them on my 75 restoration for just that reason. You might consider a 3rd brake light in the back window, people don't know they made cars with out them at one time and don't connect to the 2 tail lights as meaning STOP :).

Harry

post-22717-13667667216851_thumb.jpg

post-22717-13667667217595_thumb.jpg

1975 BMW 2002 Taiga

2000 BMW M Roadster evergreen

1+ on the late style bumpers , they work. I have reinstalled them on my 75 restoration for just that reason. You might consider a 3rd brake light in the back window, people don't know they made cars with out them at one time and don't connect to the 2 tail lights as meaning STOP :).

Harry

I have considered this almost daily since I've owned the car. I also have a bad habit of not using the brake to slow down (why not use the engine? :) as much as I should. I at least cover it with my foot so my lights go on, but a third light would make it more obvious for sure.

I will also soon be switching all lights to LED and to H4 fronts.

A bunch of Bikes...

Love mine! Can't count the number of times I've used em as a bench :P They'll probably always have a place on my 02! And as far as the third brake light here's a good option. It's what I did on my 02

101_9707.JPG

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

I wrote this some 4-5 years ago. Still applies...

"Big Bumpers are pretty sexy, IMHO. They elongate and lower the appearance, add safety (while driving or parked), added weight is about same as a spare, and they integrate well with the squaretail's look. I like the aluminum vs chrome better with the rest of the trim (+ no rust/dents), they don't hamper a spoiler or other body mods, and they provide a great occasional seat!

Besides, with everyone else removing theirs, they'll be a rarity before too long. ;-p

Don't get me wrong, I like 02's in all forms - and everyone's entitled to 'their look'. I just don't think the big bumpers are ugly at all."

Where we goin’? … I’ll drive…
There are some who call me... Tom too         v i s i o n a u t i k s.com   

When I first bought my '76 I thought the big bumpers were the first thing to go. I bought the early style bumpers and the conversion kit but in the long run the big bumpers have started to grow on me. I like of like them now and when I finish my resto I think ill keep the big bumpers on!

1976 BMW 2002 Chamonix. My first love.

1972 BMW 2002tii Polaris. My new side piece.

I'm sorry to disagree, I've been a square tail light owner for the 30 years. Two years ago I had the Euro bumper conversion done on my 74 tii and I have no regrets, it looks awesome. On the argument that big bumpers will protect your 02, that may work with cars having the same bumper height as your 02. With the abundance of SUV/pickups on the road, that argument goes out the window. A decade ago, my former 74 2002 was totaled by a Chevy S10 pickup that rear ended me. The S10 was stock and the bumpers easily cleared the rear bumper on my 02 and crushed the rear end. I must admit, I do admit I miss my diving boards double as a picnic table while at 02 shows. I'll make the argument that any 02/E3/E9/E12/E21/E23/E24/E28 built between 74-88 for the US market looks fugly compared to the Euro version of that era. I'll take a square tail light 02 with a Euro bumper conversion over a roundie anyday. Square tail light 02's rock.

G-Man

74 tii (many mods)
91 318i M42

07 4Runner

I love my big bumpers. They're a great place to sit, give the car an adorable smile and they're good bump protection. They're staying.

As far as I'm concerned, it needs a front plate :P

Ontheroad.jpg

0304121237.jpg

1974 Malaga 2002 4282899 "Little Red"

1976 Polaris 2002 2374061 "Rusty Shackleford" 

1998 Dk. Blue Volvo S70 T5 "Carlene"- 221k Miles 

I wrote this some 4-5 years ago. Still applies...

"Big Bumpers are pretty sexy, IMHO. They elongate and lower the appearance, add safety (while driving or parked), added weight is about same as a spare, and they integrate well with the squaretail's look. I like the aluminum vs chrome better with the rest of the trim (+ no rust/dents), they don't hamper a spoiler or other body mods, and they provide a great occasional seat!

Besides, with everyone else removing theirs, they'll be a rarity before too long. ;-p

Don't get me wrong, I like 02's in all forms - and everyone's entitled to 'their look'. I just don't think the big bumpers are ugly at all."

I love your car visionaut... I have pictures of it saved on my desktop. I love the way the bumpers look on your 02... just awesome.

A bunch of Bikes...

Nope, you slid into her because you were following too closely.

Be careful out there!

I cursed as I hit my brakes right away, but still slid into her rear because of the rain.

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

Nope, you slid into her because you were following too closely.

Be careful out there!

I cursed as I hit my brakes right away, but still slid into her rear because of the rain.

not much time to react, I wasn't following unreasonably close at all.

A bunch of Bikes...