• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Should I bring her home??????

WooHaaShop

WooHaa,

Your first quesiton is what is your budget? $2000 for the car, and another $1000 in parts? $1000/$1000? The really rusted 02's are not worth it. Racing it is one thing, but getting it to pass inspection (and overall safety) is another if you want to drive it during the summer. You need to make a checklist of what needs to work on the car for it to pass inspection. Horn, ALL lights, electrical, brakes, exhaust, etc. If it don't work, consider how much it will cost in parts, or labor if you don't plan on doing the work. Looking at this car, that list will grow quicker than you can imagine.

If your desire for the car is to wrench on it 50-75% of the time, and drive it less than 50% of the time, than that car is for you. Me? I'd keep a'lookin. Not tring to sound like a jerk, but I've been through the agony of wanting an '02, and finally pulling the trigger on one 2 years later. I don't have much available $$, and spent some time in my wife's doghouse for the little $$ I did spend on my '74.....Good Luck....

-----------------------------------------------------

I guess maybe I am blinded bu the desire to own. What make you guys feel shes too rough??? any specific points that my desire to own is blinding me from ..I agree it is rough but what is it I am missing to make a statement like wouldnt take it for free? Im just looking to make a good decision here...

- The big print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

Guest Anonymous

Sorry to say this but,Unless you have the skills to do the bodywork , paint and sort out the mechanics on this car. I just can't see you having a pleasant experience with this car. It will end up costing you a pile of $$$$ and time .I think you would be better of spending more money up front on a car that you can enjoy right away and tinker with it as you go. Labour is very expensive and so are new parts, it all adds up really quick.Pay now or pay later ,either way you pay !

Good Luck !

Budget is open currently.... id love to spend under a grand on the car and then drop 1-3000 into it. I do LOVE to wrench on my stuff. I drove old 2 stroke motorcycles, old diesels, I am ok with wrench time. Body work will be mild at best and accomplished by myself and a few buddies (Bud Weiser, Heine Ken, and Mr Coors)

I think this may be a good way for me to waste some money and time and learn the evolution of the 2002. I am going north tomorrow with intents to buy, BUT I WILL be searching for Hidden rust and any signs of serious problems. Maybe this will be the parts car after i spend some time wrenching and find a better option. I know I am in lust with her but I think i will be able to make a educated decision after all your posts thanks again.

Anywhere under the $700 is great , have fun , learn lots & drive a beater you will have a blast for not a lot of $'s.

Keep us posted.

1970 4 speed 2002 (Daily driver/track car ) 
1974  Hybrid powered twin cam engine, Pig Cheeks , ( now a round tail.) Getting ready to Sell 

Just walk away Renee...

The new book The Best Of The Hack Mechanic available at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0998950742, inscribed copies of all books available at www.robsiegel.com

1972 tii (Louie), 1973 2002 (Hampton), 1975 ti tribute (Bertha), 1972 Bavaria, 1973 3.0CSi, 1979 Euro 635CSi, 1999 Z3, 1999 M Coupe, 2003 530i sport, 1974 Lotus Europa Twin Cam Special (I know, I know...)

Budget is open currently.... id love to spend under a grand on the car and then drop 1-3000 into it. I do LOVE to wrench on my stuff. I drove old 2 stroke motorcycles, old diesels, I am ok with wrench time. Body work will be mild at best and accomplished by myself and a few buddies

---------------------------------------------------------

WooHaa,

Sounds like you know what you are getting yourself into. Glad to know you enjoy the wrenching. For me, it's love/hate at times. Good luck, and keep us up to date.

- Chris

- The big print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

Presuming you can afford to drop some $$ into it beyond the initial buy...

Since you haven't owned a 2002 before, and you want to learn about 'em, if you can get this one running, AND there's no significant structural rust that would make it unsafe, think of it as "2002 101"--your learning car. Play around with it, make everything work, even learn to do bodywork if you wish and give it a quickie paint job. Enjoy it, and learn on it. In the meantime, keep your eye out for a nicer one--by then you will have learned enough on your learner car to avoid any pitfalls on the second one.

A running 2002 without structural rust on the East Coast has gotta be worth $5-700.

cheers, and good luck

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Guest Anonymous
The hack mechanic....why? What do you see? I think I know what I'm getting into...THINK. I'll take everyone's .02....

if you have an idea of what your getting into you should then use the general rule . Calculate what you think it will cost and then multiply x2.

That thing will never pass inspection. The missing gas pedal alone is over $100 bucks, missing a bumperette, lights working ? brakes ? blinkers? tires o.k ? steering,suspension ,oil leaks ? car smoking ? etc etc

Has your wife seen this car ?

Pss Forgetaboutit

The hack mechanic....why? What do you see? I think I know what I'm getting into...THINK. I'll take everyone's .02....

if you have an idea of what your getting into you should then use the general rule . Calculate what you think it will cost and then multiply x2.

That thing will never pass inspection. The missing gas pedal alone is over $100 bucks, missing a bumperette, lights working ? brakes ? blinkers? tires o.k ? steering,suspension ,oil leaks ? car smoking ? etc etc

Has your wife seen this car ?

Pss Forgetaboutit

I wonder how much$$$ he could get for the parts alone...after he drives/fixes it ......so far it seems to be running and ready for a test drive.

edit part3

from what you said you want a fun weekend car/dd ,this car is a great start for that price,unless 5-7hundy is big money for you.