• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

windshield wiper motor

71bmr02

any ideas on why my windshield wiper motor comes on when the ignition switch is turned to on position? wipers were last thing hooked up after putting the car back together. when i turned on the igntion to activate the swithch the wiper motor came on without the switch being pulled. i labeled all the wires before unplugging and according to my haynes manual all is hoodked up correctly. i installed another switch but that didn't change anything. any help appreciated

thanks

GH

ps i havnt touched any british cars, nor been near one recently. i did look at a mgbgt sometime back but didn't touch it.

Gale H.

71 2002 daily driver

70 2002 malaga (pc)

83 320i (pc)

There's a lot of archive discussion on this problem...what's probably happened is the self-parking mechanism (inside the round can that's attached to the wiper motor) has gotten messed up...the wiper motor is hot anytime the ignition is on, and is only kept from operating by the parking mechanism. If you either misconnected the wires to the motor, or if one of the parking mechanism contact arms has broken or become bent, the motor will come on whenever you turn on the ignition.

First check your wiring for correct connections, then pull the wiper motor and check the parking mechanism.

mike[/b]

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Make sure that the button on the end of the turn signal stalk is not activating the wipers. Not sure on other years, but to turn on the wipers on my '72 you press the end of the turn signal stalk in towards the steering column.

May be something as simple as that....

If you end up needing a new one we have rebuilt ones in case you are interested.

I'm no longer affiliated with Maximillian Importing Company in any way, please address any questions directly to them.  -Thanks.

2002 "tii" coupe 1970
E21 320/6 2.7 Stroker 1981
E23 730 1978

thanks, it could well be the motor. i had it out when i repainted the engine bay and may have done something that caused it to malfunction. it does have a problem when trying to park the wipers. thanks for the advice and offers of motors. if it is a motor problem, i have a 70 parts car i'll rob.

thanks again

GH

Gale H.

71 2002 daily driver

70 2002 malaga (pc)

83 320i (pc)

Same issue here after complete rebuild. Another wiper motor was connected yesterday with the same result. No park.

Spending more time trying both wiper motors and different delay relays did not turn up anything conclusive. Sometimes one of the motors would park and work correctly but most of the time neither would stop. Each motor would slow at one spot in the rotation like it was trying to park but never would turn off.

Will have to look at some of the earlier posts here.

'68 1600

'70 2002

'80 635

Check the ground. The 'park' function needs to short the motor to ground

to get it to stop in time- otherwise it rolls right past the park position and

re- entergizes itself.

It's been a long time, but somehow the wiper in the gearbox

gets the armature grounded to electrically brake the motor...

I am thinking there is a ring terminal that grounds somewhere, but it's been

too long.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Ground connection is a likely suspect.

Ring terminal for the firewall ground was buffed out with scotchbrite early in the troubleshooting process and not just one but two alligator clip jumpers were used directly from the ring to the neg. battery. No luck.

Tonight I took the ring terminal on the brown wire for the wiper gear case and buffed it out. The motor now parks every time.

Looking at the gears yesterday there are 2 electrical contact wipers that ride on the ring gear. For the green wire going directly to the fuse box there is a depression of about 30 degrees for the 360 degrees of rotation. This would be the parking zone where the wiper makes no electrical contact. When the wiper switch is on the second wiper keeps the motor running 360.

'68 1600

'70 2002

'80 635

• 4 years later...
Same issue here after complete rebuild. Another wiper motor was connected yesterday with the same result. No park.
Spending more time trying both wiper motors and different delay relays did not turn up anything conclusive. Sometimes one of the motors would park and work correctly but most of the time neither would stop. Each motor would slow at one spot in the rotation like it was trying to park but never would turn off.
Will have to look at some of the earlier posts here.

Did you end solving this problem? If so, I am curious to how did you fix it...

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

After messing with my 71 wiper motor in my 69 (that won't park), I will be replacing the dash switch, wiper/TS stalk and relay with newer components after the trip to Vintage NC in a few weeks.  Once I get into it, I will add a write up here. The stalk is from a 73, the intermittent relay and dash speed switch are from a 76.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"