• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Last chance before Christmas - Remote Trunk Lid Release Kit

calw

9/26 Update:

I have some kits available for immediate shipment, so they'd probably arrive in time for Christmas. Same deal as previous offers, $50.00 shipped to you. I'll also make the kit available without the actuator for $40.00 if you want to go to the local junkyard to get you own. If you are interested, please use the email button to contact me.

For those buyers who have previously purchase, all kits that were ordered have been shipped. About half a dozen have been reported as installed with no problems reported. If you paid, have waited over 1 week since receiving shipping information, and have not received yours, something is wrong... PLEASE contact me so that we can work on the problem. Please also contact me if you have received your kit and have any problems. And, feedback would be appreciated!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

9/6 Update: The kits are finished, ahead of schedule, and all who made commitments have been notified. About a dozen folks have paid and their kits were shipped out yesterday. The rest of the kits are waiting for payment and will be shipped on the next day after $ arrive.

If you were told you're on the list and did not receive email informing you that your kit is ready, please contact me, there must be a clerical error or an internet black hole snafu.

If you were told that you're an alternate, please standby... The committed order list stands until a week after the original 9/10 date. At that point I'll make any unsold kits available in the order your requests were made.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

8/18 Update: I'll be emailing each requester also, but the current status is that there are enough parts to build kits for everyone who asked before this date. Due to the volume, the Custom parts will take slightly longer than hoped for, but the plan is to be ready to ship by Monday, September 10.

As of now, no new requests can be filled in this first run. Thanks again for the interest.

Wow... The response has been overwhelming. I really appreciate the interest !

I stated below that I want to make 10 kits, but there have been requests for more than double that number.

If possible, I'll meet the demand. Please allow me a few days to get confirmation that the custom parts can be available quickly. I will be contacting each member who has sent email, as soon as I know how many kits that I can make. If I can't fill all of the orders this time, maybe in a second run after some feedback has been received.

Also, this is to announce that the product has a name. Never mind that my high school Deutsch ist long kaput. Online translators give us "Automatische Kofferraum Deckel Öffner". Not sure that will fit on the label. No idea if it makes sense in Germany. What me worry?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

A Remote Trunk Lid Release for your 2002/1600

Your 2002 or 1600-2 came from the factory with two different keys- one for the trunk lid and one for everything else. The trunk lock mechanism is different from the rest of the locks, there is no way around it. So, many of us just leave the trunk unlocked. Not necessarily the best idea if you plan on carrying valuables. Here’s a solution to that problem that brings your trunk into the 21st century.

I previously reported this to the FAQ as a construction project ( http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,57/page,viewtopic/t,367672/highlight,/ ) but after further development, I’d like to offer this to the community as a ready to install kit. I have collected enough of the used parts to build a short production run of these, so here goes…

The price:

I will sell the first 10 of these kits for $ 50.00 each, including Priority Mail shipping to your US address. 10% of the price will be donated to the FAQ. Without it, you’d never have heard of the kit.

I won’t proceed unless there are 10 willing buyers. I won’t take any money until they are ready to ship. It will take about 2 weeks for me to have the fabricated parts professionally produced. At that time, all will be informed that their kits are ready to go. When that time comes, I’ll expect your payment to arrive within 1 week. PayPal or mailed payments of any sort are fine, unless you are a high ranking official from the finance ministry of an exotic country with a long story. Your kit will be shipped on the next business day after payment arrives, no excuses. No returns will be accepted, but your kit is guaranteed to work.

How to Sign up:

Feel free to register your support in this thread, but PLEASE use the email button to make personal contact if you want in. If/When the requisite 10 buyers sign up, I'll announce that it's ON. I’ll answer any questions in the forum which they are asked in. I would also appreciate your detailed feedback once you’ve done the installation, and I’ll be happy to provide remote advice and counsel as needed.

What is it?

To review what is on offer, objectives of this project were:

- NO modification to the car's sheet metal or other original parts

- Compatible with Roundie or Square Tail Light Cars, all years

- Compatible with all ’02 models 1600-2 thru Turbo, no exceptions

- Easy installation with simple tools that you probably already have

- Easily removable in case you want to revert to a stock car

- Use BMW OEM parts where possible- salvage yard parts cleaned and tested

Almost all of the above turned out to be possible.

A necessary modification is that the latch spring on older cars has to be replaced with a slightly weaker spring in order that the actuator has enough force to function. Since the original spring was overly strong, this has not been a problem. I can confirm that on the workbench, no amount of nondestructive banging in any direction with a rubber mallet will cause the latch to open. I cannot think of a failure mechanism where the trunk wouldn’t open if something went wrong with the added mechanism, because the original lock mechanism remains otherwise intact and unmodified. The design of the trunk latch itself is such that a broken spring will result in the trunk lid being loose and possibly rattling open, but that’s the original BMW design. One other modification is a small hole that you drill in the latch mechanism IF you wish to install the emergency escape handle.

Note that if you save your original spring, you can always revert back to the 60's by replacing it in the latch mechanism and removing the kit.

The Design:

Basically, an additional method of opening the trunk is created, by the addition of a motorized actuator mechanism which is mounted alongside the original trunk latch on the back wall of the trunk. Nothing is changed on the trunk lid itself, or the lock mechanism, other than the spring and little hole mentioned above, for the Emergency Escape Handle. Although I don’t expect to be kidnapped in the trunk of my own car, I included the feature. If you ever get locked in the trunk just pull the little glow-in-the-dark handle and the trunk pops open. Beginning with the 2002 model year, all cars sold in the US were required to have this feature, so why not have one in your 2002?

The steel bracket which holds this mechanism is custom designed to mount using the three original bolts which mount the trunk latch mechanism. No need to drill new holes in your car’s body. The bracket will be painted in a nondescript grey color which will not match any BMW. You can, of course, repaint it to your favorite color.

The motorized actuator is a BMW part used on E36 models with a trunk lid. It is a used part, cleaned, inspected, and tested. The actuator mounting hardware is new. A new latch spring as described above is also included. You will need to re-use your current latch and latch mounting bolts. There is no change to the lock mechanism or the latch parts mounted on the trunk lid.

The emergency escape handle part is from a late model Korean car.

The sample unit shown in the photo was tested with hundreds of actuations, on my '68 1600, a 2002 roundie parts car, and two square tail parts cars to convince me that it’s reliable. I also tested the sample in two different parts cars. All of this gives me confidence that I’ve got the tolerances worked out. The emergency escape handle was tested about 20 times on the sample unit.

What’s included?

Included with the kit will be everything that you need to install on your stock car except for the external electrical parts needed to activate it (switch, fuse, etc). You will re-use your existing trunk latch mechanism. You will have to decide how to provide power to it and provide the necessary electrical parts to do so.

Included are:

- Actuator (used/cleaned/tested)

- Actuator power cable (used/cleaned/tested)

- Actuator mounting screws (new)

- New Custom Mounting Bracket and HDPE actuator mounting spacer

- New Spring for your trunk latch mechanism

- Emergency Escape Handle (used/cleaned)

- Instructions

Installation:

Detailed installation instructions will come with your kit, but here are the basics.

You can install the mechanical parts in about 10 minutes, but that does not include the cleaning of your original parts. Essentially, you add the kit to your existing latch mechanism. Some manual dexterity is needed to install the parts but it’s not grubby under car work that requires gorilla strength. You will need a 10mm wrench or socket and needle nose pliers to install the basic mechanism. You will also need a power drill with small drill bit to install the emergency escape handle if you choose to do so. Wiring the unit to your car will require the usual electrical tools.

Refurbishing your current latch: It is strongly recommended that you clean, inspect, and lubricate your car’s latch mechanism to ensure it has a smooth working action. Soap, water, carburetor cleaner, toothbrush, q-tips, ultrasonic cleaner, whatever works best for you (or order a new one from Blunt or your local dealer for a super deluxe installation). It’s also recommended that you clean and lubricate the lock mechanism. These recommendations stand even if you don’t want my kit. Getting locked out of your trunk is not a pleasant event.

Wiring: You don’t have to do the wiring at the time you do the mechanical installation, so this can be a multi-session project if you wish. The actuator comes with a short pigtail wire, to which you provide momentary power to trigger the actuator. Any source of 12 Volt power capable of supplying 3 Amps will be sufficient to power the actuator. You can use a simple series pushbutton with a sufficient current rating, or control it through a relay. That relay could be activated from your remote keyless entry system, or you can create a wireless solution and build an Android or iPad app to control it if you want to go wild. I recommend that a 5 Amp fuse be used in series with whatever circuit that you choose to use to avoid all chance of burning down your ride.

post-1825-13667663417624_thumb.jpg

post-1825-13667663418289_thumb.jpg

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nice, I'm in. I was going to piece together a kit for myself, so this saves me the time.

Email sent as well.

Tinker Engineering - 2014

Mica - 2000 BMW 323i - The one that started it all

Fiona - 1975 BMW 2002 - The Definition of Project Creep

Heidi - 1988 BMW M5 - The piece of BMW history

Silvia - 2013 Subaru WRX - Stock, for now

I'm in for a kit please. Email sent and thanks!

Bob

BMWCCA #4844 (#297 of The 308)

1974 2002 Sahara, MM 2400 Rally engine, MM 5 speed and conversion

1976 2002A Anthracite parts car

1991 525i AlpinweiB II

2002 330ci AlpinweiB III

2007 530xiT Titanium Silver