• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TII stalling after high revs

bendoty

This has only happened after I've been on the freeway and had to push the clutch when coming to oncoming traffic and the car died. It would start up immediately by by bump start or by key ignition.

I have noticed the same thing when driving city streets when coming to a stop. It would not ddie, but the revs would drop to the point of almost dying.

The first time I really think it was krud in the fuel line but now I am noticing it more on a daily basis. Not bad, but just wondering about tuning the right.

'74 tii Sahara

Idle should be 850-950.

Check linkages for wear and slop. There should be no play. If there is replace the linkage rods, or the ends and re-measure to spec or JFPro BMW sells them pre-measured ready to install.

Re-sync KF to throttle body, then adjust idle.

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

Could easily be, and easy to check.

Gas tank filter. 10min job to remove hoses and bolts.

You should be able to see through the filter on the bottom of the fuel pickup.

Not the usual symptom, but could be REALLY plugged.

If it's SORTA plugged, check other filters.

Worth a try.

73 Inka Tii, #2762958

73 Inka Tii #2762958

And then timing and dwell.

Cheers,

Ray

Idle should be 850-950.

Check linkages for wear and slop. There should be no play. If there is replace the linkage rods, or the ends and re-measure to spec or JFPro BMW sells them pre-measured ready to install.

Re-sync KF to throttle body, then adjust idle.

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

Definitely not tuned right. You probably aren't getting great MPG's either even though it likely drives "fine" other than the idle.

Once you get the linkages and ALL slop out, linkages are the right length, check the filters, clean plugs, cap/rotor, lube distributor, etc., make sure the timing is reasonably close and then go through the process of Tii tuning (multiple sources).

I recommend reading and learning what each piece of the Tii puzzle is and does, long term if you plan on tuning it yourself it means less ramp up time. There are many pieces but nothing insurmountable - for the most part it's bullet proof once dialed in.

~Jason

1973 2002tii (2764167), Baikal, Rebuild blog here!

In the past: Verona H&B 1973 2002tii (2762913); Malaga 1975 2002; White 1975 2002

--> Blog: Repro tii cold start relay;   + --> Need an Alpina A4 tuning guide? PM me!

Guest Anonymous

If this happens whenever you apply the brakes, it's possible it's your brake booster or brake booster hose. Easy to test. Start the car, press the brakes. If the RPMs change, you know where to start your search.

I'm not in complete agreement. Quickly stepping on the brakes will shift the vacuum in the motor and give you an initial jump in idle.

Cheers,

Ray

If this happens whenever you apply the brakes, it's possible it's your brake booster or brake booster hose. Easy to test. Start the car, press the brakes. If the RPMs change, you know where to start your search.

Ray

I'm not in complete agreement. Quickly stepping on the brakes will shift the vacuum in the motor and give you an initial jump in idle.

Cheers,

Ray

Ray, if you ever find yourself in complete agreement with anything I've posted, seek immediate medical attention.

williamggruff

'76 2002 "Verona" / '12 Fiat 500 Sport "Latte" / '21 Toyota 4Runner TRD Off Road Prem “The Truck”

That I agree with.

What? Oh.

;-)

Ray

Ray, if you ever find yourself in complete agreement with anything I've posted, seek immediate medical attention.

Ray

Checked the idle (900, thanks to Pat fot the Wunderbox) and the linkage seems firm, not sloppy. Tried to reproduce the the stalling (or at least drop in engine speed) after high revs and cannot. No issue with the brakes. I am thinking I just had some gunk in the fuel line, but will still work through the items recommended. Thanks to all.

Ben

'74 tii Sahara

• 1 year later...

I have the same issue with my 74Tii.  I have it idling at 1000 and its steady as a rock.  The car seems to run fine at highway and around town speeds until I stop.  The revs drop and sometimes stalls.  A simple blip of the throttle brings it back to normal idle.  I followed the KF setting procedure, checked all linkages for length.  The 289 was long by 1mm and I adjusted it to the correct length.  The links are all new as some still have the BMW labels on them.  I disconnected the retard valve and plugged the vacuum lines.  That did make a bit of a difference but still it stalls and sputters at stop.  All ignition was checked cap, wires, plugs etc.  Timing is next.  Something tells me it's vacuum related but we'll see.  Any additional suggestions appreciated.