• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hazard switch repair worked!

LarryS

At first I used jewelers screwdrivers to kind of dig in and pop the clips but I could only get a couple of them that way. Then I got 2 channel locks and kind of squeezed and twisted and it just popped off.

I actually thought I broke it but it snapped back together. I not counting on this for a permanent fix but I needed to get my turn signals working so I could get a safety inspection...And now I'm legal.

72 Tii

I looked at the link and it's the same method I used to repair mine, but it took me an hour and a half to figure out how to do it first! haha

"And The Dude abides"

74 2002 Inka (The Dude)

68 Zundapp ISDT Racer (original 350 miles)

87 BMW 735i (frozen motor)

79 VW Westphalia (for sale)

55 AJS 500cc Enduro Non-running Ekins bike

72 Yamaha XS2 (in many boxes)

• 1 year later...

Hi all,

Since this thread lacks some pics and I just performed the repair, I'll add what I took below.

1)  pic of all parts separated out (hazard red button is not visible)

2)  close up and dead on view of the silver pin

3)  pin with notes

4)  pin channel - shows the channels that the pin must stay in to actually stick and actuate the hazard button

While this is still fresh in my head:

-  Mini flat head screw drivers work the best to pry the top from the bottom section.  I used 3. 

-  Use a needle nose plier to gently and carefully bend the silver arm (w/ the little pin that protrudes inwards) towards the center of the bottom piece.  Just a little will do.  I over did it and had to bend the pin slightly back

-  Test fit:  put the spring back in and then align the bottom piece with the silver arm w/ the top piece.  align it with the channel and actuate.  hopefully the hazard button will lock.  Give it a stress test (I did about a dozen times) until you're assure that the pin is bent inwards juuuust right

post-39817-0-37194600-1381729602_thumb.j

post-39817-0-05889300-1381729629_thumb.j

post-39817-0-30827400-1381729638_thumb.j

post-39817-0-07617600-1381729642_thumb.j

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

I'm gonna have to try this! My hazard lights have come on a couple times randomly in the middle of the day... I've fixed them thus far...

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

This is a typical failure on E21's E12's E24's and basically all BMW with this same style switch and the same repair applies to all of them.

A word of caution though....

If you put the spring the wrong way you are going to have a short and some very nasty smoke coming out of it. Worse case scenario you are looking at a fire in the dashboard but more likely a molten spring and ruined switch.

That little pin is very very delicate it's an alloy and it will snap once bent if you try to bend it back it will most likely break.

• Thanks 1

I'm no longer affiliated with Maximillian Importing Company in any way, please address any questions directly to them.  -Thanks.

2002 "tii" coupe 1970
E21 320/6 2.7 Stroker 1981
E23 730 1978

• 4 years later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The help that can be found here is truly amazing. I came home from work today and saw my son’s flashers on. He said they have been coming on at random. I presumed it was a short in the flasher itself and was prepared to replace it until we noticed the button on the hazard switch was stuck. So we searched the faq and found this thread. Fixed up the switch and had it back in the car in 15 minutes. 

Seriously, God bless the fellows who figure this stuff out and go the extra mile to take photos and post the information for the benefit of others. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Clevis Woodruff said:

The help that can be found here is truly amazing. I came home from work today and saw my son’s flashers on. He said they have been coming on at random. I presumed it was a short in the flasher itself and was prepared to replace it until we noticed the button on the hazard switch was stuck. So we searched the faq and found this thread. Fixed up the switch and had it back in the car in 15 minutes. 

Seriously, God bless the fellows who figure this stuff out and go the extra mile to take photos and post the information for the benefit of others. 

I assume the 15 mins was just putting back in the car...?

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

• 1 year later...

Taking the switch apart sucks. I used a sharp utility knife and did it clip by clip. Moving the piece immediately after I did a clip. I was thinking it might be easier to drill a hole (at the pin's location) so you can bend the pin in without having to dismantle it. 

Also the spring is symmetrical ('74 2002tii), not sure about that short the one member mentioned.  

Funny thing...I did a Roundel column about this very thing last July...and also figured out why replacement switches don't have the little resistor soldered between two of the terminals...it's to dim the illumination so that red button doesn't blind you at night.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite