• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fact or Fiction?

I have driven my 02 every day for almost 3 years now. Right at 70k miles in that time. When I hit the gas it goes, when I hit the brakes it stops. Only problems it has every really had are my paranoia that something is wrong. Car handles great, a blast to drive. I get waves and thumbs up almost daily.

I went from a new Audi A3 as my DD to the 02. Love the 02 ten times more than the Audi.

I prefer the loudness of the wind, the engine noise, the machine feel it has..that is why I bought one

I'm not as dumb as I look

74 Verona

06 Audi A3

09 Mercedes C300

06 VW Passat

03 VW Conv Beetle

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Very few cars can make you feel as good about driving it as this one. People really sit up and take notice of you around these parts because there are none around anymore. Unique in a world of worn down bars of soap. That what most modern cars styling looks like to me. Don't even talk about E46's in the same breath. They are a complex animal and parts can be painfully expensive. Have you priced a replacement Zenon headlight for an E46 lately? Or all the little linkages and electronic parts that make sure it stays level? Or a climate control circuit board? I like my vents controlled by cables the old fashioned way so when something breaks I can replace it or oil it and make it better. Forget that with new BMW's. My feeling is you don't want to own any new BMW. Lease maybe

I think this car makes a statement about the owner too. You are intelligent, have impeccable taste in automobiles, you don't need to impress anyone with outright speed and the latest noveau style. You don't need to hide behind tinted windows and you are the type of rapidly disappearing individual who can fix things. Did I mention that police stop you just to say hello?

Mike Katsoris CCA#13294                                                

74 InkaGangster 4281862

2016 Porsche Boxster Spyder,    2004 BMW R1150RT,  
76 Estorilblau 2740318                      

First off I'm going to say I prefer the way a 2002 handles over pretty much all new cars. I havent driven an E46 so I cant 100% compare. But compared to pretty much everything I've driven the 02 is the best driving car. It's very nimble, quick (not fast), light, agile, toss-able, and the gas mileage is pretty good even with my foot to the floor most of the time :P In the end it's a wonderful car to drive but as others have said it's pretty crude compared to an E46. Drive a couple and see what you think before buying. You'll probably like it, but it is a fancy tractor in many ways.

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

Thanks to all you guys for responding and shedding some light. I want one so bad now. Are these cars good for driving long distances if they are maintained? also whats a good year for them?

Many of us drive them daily. I've done all day drives in mine many times. Many times doing climbs from sea level up 5000 ft high mountain ranges. I've done drives across deserts, etc.

If you take care of it, you can drive it all you want.

Like I said in my earlier post, though, that takes commitment.

If you LIKE working on a car, then you'll be golden.

All years are good for these cars, baring a 76 if you are in CA.

I owned an E46 for a while and drive 02s and Bavarias for the most part and prefer them. Yes, the 2002 brakes are pretty weak as far as BMWs go, but they are not dangerously bad.

If you don't know how to brake in an emergency without ABS (that is, you've only driven the E46 much, etc) then you need to learn and keep some things in mind and of course follow common sense like not tail gating and paying attention. I'm always annoyed at the 02 brakes after driving the Bavaria (can't beat 4-piston fronts and disc all around) but I get used to them quickly after a day or two with the 02 and haven't had any problems stopping in time. Generally speaking, go somewhere where no one is driving behind you, get up to 30mph, and do a panic stop and be sure that you can lock up the brakes so you know what it's like (and that the brakes are bled/adjusted properly that you have 100% braking force available). Do this any time you've bought an older car.

Beyond that, the 02 is a much smaller and simpler car than the E46 (of course), it lacks power steering and that'll take some getting used to, it's fine in the rain but you do need to watch for leaks and keep the inner fenders clean and rocker panels draining (and start with a not rusty one if possible). Other little downsides with the 2002 are very poor interior ventilation and defrost, no low fuel warning light, and no a whole lot of power.

If you want very good brakes, power steering, good interior ventilation, a fuel warning light, and a lot more power for the same year and similar styling, get a Bavaria instead ; )

I owned an E46 for a while and drive 02s and Bavarias for the most part and prefer them. Yes, the 2002 brakes are pretty weak as far as BMWs go, but they are not dangerously bad.

If you don't know how to brake in an emergency without ABS (that is, you've only driven the E46 much, etc) then you need to learn and keep some things in mind and of course follow common sense like not tail gating and paying attention. I'm always annoyed at the 02 brakes after driving the Bavaria (can't beat 4-piston fronts and disc all around) but I get used to them quickly after a day or two with the 02 and haven't had any problems stopping in time. Generally speaking, go somewhere where no one is driving behind you, get up to 30mph, and do a panic stop and be sure that you can lock up the brakes so you know what it's like (and that the brakes are bled/adjusted properly that you have 100% braking force available). Do this any time you've bought an older car.

Beyond that, the 02 is a much smaller and simpler car than the E46 (of course), it lacks power steering and that'll take some getting used to, it's fine in the rain but you do need to watch for leaks and keep the inner fenders clean and rocker panels draining (and start with a not rusty one if possible). Other little downsides with the 2002 are very poor interior ventilation and defrost, no low fuel warning light, and no a whole lot of power.

If you want very good brakes, power steering, good interior ventilation, a fuel warning light, and a lot more power for the same year and similar styling, get a Bavaria instead ; )

Thanks Andrey I will check all of the above i am thinking about upgrading the brakes when i get my 02 and not too worried about the ventilation or fuel light. Will take time to get used to not having power steering never drove a car without one how is it and is it a big deal and does it make a difference or is it dangerous not having that feature? i live in CA and there is a lot of traffic around always..

The car that started it all.

Power steering is not an issue. With the stock large diameter steering wheel (that none have anymore) and 175/70 (properly inflated!) tires you'll hardly notice the lack of assist.

With bigger tires and a smaller steering wheel you'll be straining a bit to parallel park. But driving down the road you won't even know it!

Go drive some!

Cheers,

Ray

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

I live next to double 002 salvage and they have some real nice ones but i'm not sure .......

Why not walk over there and ask them if they will take you for ride in one, or, better still, let you take one for a drive? Seems to be the easiest way for you to find out if a 2002 is a car you want to own.

I too own an E46 and a 2002.....

Think of it as the E46 is your wife, and the 2002 is your mistress.

One is reliable, stable, comfortable, and enjoyable.

The other is wild, unpredicatable, lights your fire, and will keep you broke and in crisis mode with her demands.

Despite the alure..... are you really ready to handle it and pay the price?

BMWCCA #545

1972 BMW 2002 Colorado "Traumcycle"

2000 BMW 323Ci

Think of it as the E46 is your wife, and the 2002 is your mistress.

One is reliable, stable, comfortable, and enjoyable.

The other is wild, unpredicatable, lights your fire, and will keep you broke and in crisis mode with her demands.

By that analogy, my wife and mistress have swapped roles. At least I (finally) exorcised the SES-light demons. On the other hand, my 2002 seems to start and run no matter what. Thankfully, it lacks a SES light.

- Justin

1973 2002tii

The toolbox is where truth and contentment lie... -James May

I will take the o2 almost everytime . No computer keeping me on the road etc . I am at one with the car.

And this is the other side of it. You HAVE to drive, but you GET to drive.

If you saw the Top Gear episode where James May thought the Fiat Panda was

a lot more fun than the Vauxall 'whatever go very fast at the 'ring car'

it's kinda like that.

Only it handles better than a Panda, AND you get to have fun at legal speeds.

80 feels fast. And fun.

In the E46, 120 is slower than 80 in the 2002.

But in LA or Boston traffic, the E46 copes well, whereas a 2002 is a LOT of work.

And little joy.

Well put, John.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

I will take the o2 almost everytime . No computer keeping me on the road etc . I am at one with the car.

And this is the other side of it. You HAVE to drive, but you GET to drive.

If you saw the Top Gear episode where James May thought the Fiat Panda was

a lot more fun than the Vauxall 'whatever go very fast at the 'ring car'

it's kinda like that.

Only it handles better than a Panda, AND you get to have fun at legal speeds.

80 feels fast. And fun.

In the E46, 120 is slower than 80 in the 2002.

But in LA or Boston traffic, the E46 copes well, whereas a 2002 is a LOT of work.

And little joy.

Well put, John.

t

To Toby's point, there is a brilliant (and oft overlooked) book that is loaded with insightful research about driving called "Traffic." In it, the author lays out the evidence that newer cars require much less concentration to drive and they free up the driver to day dream or do god knows what, and that is exactly what happens. This leads to more accidents.

Strangely, he proposes that statistically, you are less likely to have an accident driving an older vehicle as it keeps you alert, just as driving on a more dangerous road is actually statistically safer.

Good stuff.

Having said all that, I would still much rather get hit in my E34 than the 2002!

http://www.amazon.com/Traffic-Drive-What-Says-About/dp/0307277194/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1338401002&sr=1-1