• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Could you see yourself driving this?

mike472

Went to Carlisle to the Import and Kit car nationals and got to finally meet CD. He had a nice display of Mercedes parts with some hard to find stuff for diesels. He even had his steering box friction adjuster with him! Unfortunately when I went yesterday there were not to many 02 owners there. Just a single Agave 72 by itself with no owner nearby. It made me smile as it was no show queen. Just a nicely used and worn driver. I got there on the first day thinking I would have first crack at some good stuff but there was nothing but rusted out 1098cc BMC engine blocks and various other piles of British car parts. There were a few others sprinkled in here and there and a small contingent of French cars but the British definitely rule here.

Roamed the kit car part of the show and saw some interesting stuff among all the Cobra replicas. There were these little P-car replica's from Beck. For $36K nicely equipped I could see myself driving this 550 spyder. 1200 lbs. and 125 HP. Nice combo. You could have 180hp for a couple of bucks more but not necessary. Also on the Beck stand was a 906 replica with 911 drivetrain. This car according to the folks on the stand ran a vintage event at Watkins Glen and none of the cars in any of the classes could get past it except for the Can-Am cars when it was eventually put in their run group. Do not apply if you are the husky type. These cars are amazingly well built and can be made to look exactly like the real thing. They are a lot better in the rust and rigidity department too.

Intermeccanica had a nice black Speedster replica that used a corporate Audi inline 4 in back with fuel injection and A/C. This car was listed at $61K and was finished to an impeccable standard. Who said you can't go back?

post-19339-13667660511464_thumb.jpg

post-19339-13667660512647_thumb.jpg

post-19339-13667660513742_thumb.jpg

post-19339-13667660514677_thumb.jpg

post-19339-13667660515611_thumb.jpg

Mike Katsoris CCA#13294                                                

74 InkaGangster 4281862

2016 Porsche Boxster Spyder,    2004 BMW R1150RT,  
76 Estorilblau 2740318                      

(nt)

post-19339-13667660516561_thumb.jpg

post-19339-13667660517581_thumb.jpg

Mike Katsoris CCA#13294                                                

74 InkaGangster 4281862

76 Estorilblau 2740318                      

there was a dentist that lived a couple of blocks from my folks place in Ft Lauderdale who had a brand new daily driver Porsche 904--the only one I've ever seen on the street. It made my 4CV Renault look as tall as a bus--really funny to watch the driver unfold himself from the car....

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

i'm usually against replicas, as long as the owners act if they were the real thing and only confess it's a replica when they're under pressure.

BUT i love beautifully machined replicas of cars that are totally out of range and/or a deadly sin to convert to something bigger like a 993 engine or so. As long as the replica is made to the same standards as the original and as long as it's clearly stated it's a replica. With same standards i mean like the box frame on that 904 and not just a platform frame from a beetle and some GFK-body on it.

i could imagine driving that 904 and that 550 spyder, yes.

it was good chatting with you Mike.

I guess I avoid going over to those buildings because

those Speedster/Spyder/GT-40 kits are to die for.

Been looking and thinking for years

I on the other hand CAN see me dragging that rotten beige

Citroen 2CV home that was in the middle of the swap field.

If my Ford Transit only had a trailer hitch yesterday!?!?

how about the 2002 with M20 mit Turbocharger for sale under another

vendors tent ?

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

I would totally rock that 904 replica with no badges. No need to pretend. Its gorgeous as is. RHD too? pardon my ignorance, but I never saw this P car model before. I learned something new today.

Thanks for the pics. I always wondered about that show when I saw it in car magazines. I wish we have one here on the left side.

hamada

70Bristol02 E36M3 E34535im

A friend on mine had an Intermeccanica Speedster about 10 years ago. I think they went out of business but it was considered the best of the replica kits. Great fun around town with lots of looks. But it was hairy on the freeway. Way too light, got tossed if a SUV blew by you, felt safer on my motorcycle. I can't imagine a big motor in these shells. I had stored it for him about 6 months at the side of my house and never had the urge to drive it once. He offered to sell it to me for $10k but just didn't have any love for it. He sold it a week later for $14k.

IMG_0144.jpg

Ray

73 Chamonix-S14 powered

Elefant Supply Apparel & more O=00=O

faq sig

A friend on mine had an Intermeccanica Speedster about 10 years ago. I think they went out of business but it was considered the best of the replica kits. Great fun around town with lots of looks. But it was hairy on the freeway. Way too light, got tossed if a SUV blew by you, felt safer on my motorcycle. I can't imagine a big motor in these shells. I had stored it for him about 6 months at the side of my house and never had the urge to drive it once. He offered to sell it to me for $10k but just didn't have any love for it. He sold it a week later for $14k.

IMG_0144.jpg

Ray,

I kind of wondered what the driving experience was like. I believe you when you say these things are hairy at freeway speeds. They are light so I imagine they are going to react to anything big blowing by them. These cars all still use the VW torsion bar setup in the front which I don't think will ever be as accurate steering as a strut setup like the 911 or 02 has.

They sure do look the part though. You're right about the Intermeccanica. You can see the difference in the execution compared to the Beck cars. The I - car had what I believe to be a 911 trailing arm suspension setup in the rear with an Audi water cooled engine plugged in. They may have improved the mechanical options since your friend got his. I would definitely want to drive one before I bought it.

Why can't someone come out with a fiberglass 02 shell for us to trick out?

I guess our cars havn't reached icon status yet.

Mike Katsoris CCA#13294                                                

74 InkaGangster 4281862

76 Estorilblau 2740318                      

Mike, That's probably where the separation in cost comes into play too, the modified suspension, motor, etc. I have an old article where they put a 250hp 964 911 motor in a speedster. They had to upgrade brakes and use 16"+ wheels obviously but that takes away the great look of the speedster too. Did they ever make a 356 coupe replica? That I may learn to like...

Ray

73 Chamonix-S14 powered

Elefant Supply Apparel & more O=00=O

faq sig

Ray,

Intermeccanica and Beck both had a version of the convertible "D" but not on display. I have not seen any kits that are a coupe version. It must be hard to make a full body in fiberglass. The convertible D was produced starting in 1959 I believe and is more civilized then the Speedster with a taller top and roll up windows, not the clear vinyl ones like the Speedster has. The Beck folks did say that they had a taller top that would go on the Speedster but again, you're messing up the look of those nice lines.

The Intermeccanica speedster looked very civilized inside with A/C, heated seats, and a nice leather interior. It didn't have its top up so I couldn't judge what it looked like but it had rollup windows and all the creature comforts you could want. It had better have them for $61K. They also mentioned having a higher headroom convertible top for their Speedster too. Must be a common request for them.

They both an option list a mile long that could indulge you in any Porsche bits and pieces you may have cared to have. How about a set of authentic ivory knobs for $150 or a passenger grab handle for $100 or a James Dean decal set for $250. Little bastard indeed! I'd be afraid of that last one.

Anyway this is supposed to be a 02 forum dammit! Sorry for getting so far out on this Porsche limb.

Mike Katsoris CCA#13294                                                

74 InkaGangster 4281862

76 Estorilblau 2740318                      

I got out to Carlisle as well this weekend and that kit/ replica barn got me thinking as well. All the Cobra and Porsche stuff was impeccable but what really got my heart pounding was the GT40 replicas, WOW.

Out on the field with the "real" cars, if you're a Saab, Audi or Volvo fan, this show was overtaken by those three marques. Huge representation!

2008 135i

1972 2002 Sold

1968 2002ti (no longer w/ us)