• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

First road trip with the M42.

Harland

I went on a road trip from Denver to Durango this weekend.

And on the way back i averaged 40.665 Miles per Gallon!!!

That is including driving directly through downtown Denver.

I was still having fun on the passes as well.

This is not based on a high reading odometer, i used google maps to figure out the exact mileage. Filled up when i left Durango and filled up when i arrived in Denver took just under 8 gallons to get here.

bmw2002walnut,st_opt (1).jpg

74' 2002

I realize similar figures (gps verified) in my nevada '02 with an m42 and a 4 speed. Close to that even if I'm flogging the hell out of it.

Budweiser...It's not just for breakfast anymore.

Avatar photo courtesy K. Kreeger, my2002tii.com ©

lbs heavier than an '02 and runs a 4.11 or 4.27 diff, that's not beyond the realm of possibility with a 3.64 diff in a 2002...

I got 33 mpg on my stock '69 when it was new on a trip out Cape Cod--that's still the best mileage I've gotten on a 2002 in 43 years of driving one...

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

I went on a road trip from Denver to Durango this weekend.

And on the way back i averaged 40.665 Miles per Gallon!!!

That is including driving directly through downtown Denver.

I was still having fun on the passes as well.

This is not based on a high reading odometer, i used google maps to figure out the exact mileage. Filled up when i left Durango and filled up when i arrived in Denver took just under 8 gallons to get here.

Thats great!! My soon to be project is an M42 conversion...will run 9.5 pistons and cammed a bit. May not realize the MPG you get but should still put me in the low 30's a gallon at close to 180HP. SHould be a sweeeeet ride

I'm not as dumb as I look

74 Verona

06 Audi A3

09 Mercedes C300

06 VW Passat

03 VW Conv Beetle

If you gear it right, the M42 is a really efficient setup. stock.

In the E36, it gets 33 IF I cruise between 65 and 70....

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

How many gallons of fuel was the fill in Durango and again in Denver?

i do not remember how many gallons it was in Durango... (actually Bayfield right outside of durango.)

but the stock tank holds i think 13.5 gallons (irrelevant)

When i got back to Denver i filled up and the tank would only take 7.99 gallons..

Google maps showed the exact route to be 325 miles to my house... and i went home and then to the gas station, so the calculation could be slightly conservative.

74' 2002

Thats great!! My soon to be project is an M42 conversion...will run 9.5 pistons and cammed a bit. May not realize the MPG you get but should still put me in the low 30's a gallon at close to 180HP. SHould be a sweeeeet ride

What cam work are you going to do? 5 degree advance on the intake and leave the exhaust stock? ive heard of slight power gains from that mod.

74' 2002

How many gallons of fuel was the fill in Durango and again in Denver?

i do not remember how many gallons it was in Durango... (actually Bayfield right outside of durango.)

but the stock tank holds i think 13.5 gallons (irrelevant)

When i got back to Denver i filled up and the tank would only take 7.99 gallons..

Google maps showed the exact route to be 325 miles to my house... and i went home and then to the gas station, so the calculation could be slightly conservative.

It's doing good by that.

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

Guest Anonymous

Man, that's fantastic. Details?