• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sahara Beige is Ugly

e21bob

if you are doing a total teardown like you say, and you really dont love Sahara( which I had a 73 in 76).......then CHANGE the color.

Dont worry about hurting its value. Im a vintage car nut/fan and have seen big dollar cars go thru a color change...911's...Prancing horses...muscle.... etc etc...its not that big a deal like it used to be. ..not a big deal AT ALL

And we are talking an 02 here....not a hi dollar vintage......yet.

if its done corectly you will be fine!......

why redo the whole car in color you do not love?....makes NO sense to me.

Since you are doing a full teardown and will be able to change the color so nobody but you and the car will ever know, then go for it! Like I said earlier, I'm in the same boat, and although I decided to stay stock color, since manila is pretty rare, I toyed around with colorado, inka, tiaga, riviera, pastelblau, baikal, etc...I was a mess for a couple months...hehe...finally my wife said, "what color do feel is the right color to paint it, answer immediately and that's it....now go paint the car!" she's a keeper...

Totally agree with the others on this one. Since tii's are rare, I come from the school of keeping a tii in it's original color. It will hold it's value much better. If you want a tii in a certain color, find one in that color. Unless you have real deep pockets for a complete paint job, (whole car stripped to the shell) you'll always be reminded that your tii was originally a Sahara tii. Have you priced a complete paint job here in So Cal lately? Sahara is a common color for 02's in the US market. I am now on my fourth Sahara square tail light 02. First was a 75 Euro spec 1802 I had in the Air Force while stationed in Germany. In the states, I've had one Sahara 74 2002 and two Sahara 74 tii's. Yes I've had other color 02's as well. I'm partial to Sahara. The best thing you can do for your big bumper tii is a bumper conversion from diving boards to Euro or early 02 bumpers, it will look so much better with small bumpers. Inka and golf cars are ticket magnets.

Sahara Rocks, it's an awesome color and it will grow on you.

Here's some pics of my 74 Sahara tii after a repaint in it's original color in 2010. Side marker lights were removed and bumper conversion was done at this time. I prefer square tail light 02's with Euro bumpers over roundie's, that's my own personal preference.

G-Man

post-16660-13667658058872_thumb.jpg

post-16660-13667658060032_thumb.jpg

74 tii (many mods)
91 318i M42

07 4Runner

We call it Hearing Aid Beige , not a color I like, my car was that originally luckily for me it was 2 tone when I got it. I like the bright crazy colors , Inka, Golf, Mintgrun .Mad to think a German car company could come up with so many colors for 1 car is such a short period. Let's face it the 02 looks good in ANY color.

1970 4 speed 2002 (Daily driver/track car ) 
1974  Hybrid powered twin cam engine, Pig Cheeks , ( now a round tail.) Getting ready to Sell 

There aren't really any "bad" 02 colors, but Sahara is definitely one of those bland "un color" options and it doesn't look particularly good on a small car. You're building/restoring the car for yourself (presumably), so who cares about resale value and original colors? Paint the whole thing some color you'll like seeing in your driveway or may regret spending all that time and money and then staring at beige ; )

Or just pick a color and stick with it, I suppose : )

golf.jpg

I think it depends on condition. And I think Sahara suffers more than other colors when it's old and beat. When I was trying to nail down a color for my flared car, Tod at the body shop said it won't matter what color you pick, it's gonna look Awsome. He's right.

John

Fresh squeezed horseshoes and hand grenades