• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My First 2002!

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hi all,

My name is Shenton, I have been tracking this and many other sites for cars for sale over the past 3 weeks. I am happy to report that I am the official owner of a 1970 2002.

So I left CT yesterday for Ohio to check out an 02. I went prepared to spend $4500 incase it was really nice, ended up putting it on the trailer for $2200 and some engine oil additives that my company makes, as well as some company jackets for he and his wife...

The guy had the cam and cover off the engine and was going replace the rings due to increasing smoke. He injured his back and hip recently and couldnt finish the project...so he says. I trust him though....he's a level 32 Mason, a Veteran, and a self proclaimed "good Christian".

After a very long inspection, it had appeared that I had driven nearly 9 hours to see a car with rust! It wasn't horrible, but....this is my first project and any rust / bondo was basically going to scare me off or at least help me bargain....especially since the engine wasn't together and I could hear or feel it shift, run, etc. Rust spots are: Spare wheel well, small spot under the back seat, small spot right front wheel well, front right corner of the trunk floor.

T make a long story short, I basically told him that I cant take the car. He said make an offer. I told him that I didn't want to offend him, and that I should probably just go. He said......"son"....I want you to have the car, I like you, I know you'll take good care of her, and i just have a good feeling about you.

I said, "you really don't wantto know Dave", he said fire away. I said well I could do $1800 to $2100 tops. He said you cant even get up to $3k!??

I rattled off what i found and how much it will be do do a restoration and I said the highest i can go is $2300, or I'd have to leave without it...unfortunately.

He talked to his waife for about 10 minutes, and came back outside with the keys, paperwork and a big smile, and said..."well....she's yours"!!

I have known Kent over at Automotive Restorations in Stratford, CT for years now and know his quality work. He is taking the car tomorrow and will do a leak down to see where we've gotta start with the motor. He will also go over the whole car and get her road ready for me.....I CANT WAIT!

I plan on driving it as is for a year and then beginning the full restoration this coming winter. Oh yeah....Don't let the silver fool ya....there is dark blue all over the place! Bonus!.....I love dark blue cars!

Here is the picaso web album....i hope it works!

https://picasaweb.google.com/108448541683563944403/KingIndustriesInc?authkey=Gv1sRgCKv5gqaUl_GziwE#

Welcome, looks like a good buy to me. Just get original mirror and the exterior is nice as interior already. I like your plan, first drive and get to know it and then figure out more closely what's needed.

I tried to fix your link.

https://picasaweb.google.com/108448541683563944403/KingIndustriesInc?authkey=Gv1sRgCKv5gqaUl_GziwE#

Tommy

Racing is Life - everything before and after is just waiting!

Guest Anonymous

Thanks Tommy, and thanks for the welcome. Looking forward to getting to know you guys and these cars.

Shenton-

Welcome! It looks like you got the car dirt cheap! Mechanicals are much cheaper to fix than cosmetics, and that car looks very good, from these pictures at least, esp the interior. Nice find.

Regards

Jacques

'71 2002 Malaga, fun weekender

'70 2002ti Colorado, Restoration/money pit

'74 2002 turbo in my dreams, sideways...

Guest Anonymous

I'll get some good pics of all the rust tomorrow. I'm nervous you guys will tell me i shoulda left it in Ohio!

Thanks for the welcome!

Shenton-

welcome and congrats

yer such a Nutmegger!

this car willbe great after you remove the air cond.

we don't use no stinkin A/C in Conn.

more photos please when you have time to post.

IMAG0456.jpg

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

Beautiful and very original looking! The condition of the interior suggests garage storage and relatively low miles, or exceptional care.

Welcome!

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Nice lookin car! Looks like rust aint to bad at all

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

Personally...I think you got a good deal. I suspect that a bunch of us would be willing to take it off of your hands for that amount.

PLUS.... how many 2002's have you seen that have a drink holder installed?

BMWCCA #545

1972 BMW 2002 Colorado "Traumcycle"

2000 BMW 323Ci