• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

See what Paul Russell has for sale!!

73colorado02

Along with the badass cobra and porsches and of course Paul now has this 1600 time warp for sale!!!

http://paulrussell.com/classic-cars-for-sale/

About half way down the page and click on the picture for more pics.

Gorgeous car and I know Paul likes these cars from talking to him in the past. Maybe he will restore one soon!

post-93-1366765580171_thumb.jpg

73 colorado orange 2002 in restoration

owned for 30years

71 2002 gone to parts heaven

72 2002 Malaga Sisters

05 Mini S Moms

FAQ member # 31

Beautiful car!! I don't think you could even restore one to this quality for less.

However, originality police please chime in:

Vin looks to be 68 and the 1600 badge on the rear...shouldn't it be the earlier style?

Other issues?

Seems like this one came out of the northern new england and was mentioned in a BavAuto show and shine post a few years ago. I think the price is fair if you are looking for a stock museum car. Unfortunately...this one is probably just too nice to even drive.

I would love to get access to larger pictures...the significance of this car is very important and I'd love for someone to document every last nut and bolt.

--> 1968 2002 <--

Beautiful car!! I don't think you could even restore one to this quality for less.

However, originality police please chime in:

Vin looks to be 68 and the 1600 badge on the rear...shouldn't it be the earlier style?

Other issues?

Examined this closely at BavAuto 2010.

It is a very nice car, I think the it was restored, the originality doesn't add up. Burning oil at idle, new washer fluid reservoir, only a fuse sticker under the hood (in English not German), lack of patina for a 43 year old car.

The all original 10,600 mile story seems too good to be true, for me anyway.

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

I have a sub 50K mile unrestored 71 1600 and a 68 2002 that was all original before I cracked it up and I believe this car is a tip-top original example, probably one of the finest left along with Tom's 70 Atlantik out of Chicago.

The washer bottle is correct for an early 1600, the early cars have very few underhood stickers: fuse sticker, tire pressure (near fuse box) color label and vin tag. My 68 2002 has an emissions sticker to the left of the vin plate in the cowl. Too many things on this car look correct to be a resto. US Cars made in 1968 have a special 1968 stamp on the vin plate, so I would say this is 67 production, but the VIN stamp is goofy and looks homemade. Need to locate a Euro Vin Table--looks Eurospec (1518898?) Assuming it's a Euro, the speedo has been changed to MPH...but still, not very many miles or kilometers on this one.

bmw6703c.jpg

--> 1968 2002 <--

First of all: What do you read with the VIN? I read 1518898 and if so I would call the car a 66 or a very early 67 (for sure no 68).

As for that it is a Euro and not a US car. I would think it shouldn´t have a three-point hood locking mechanism. Door locks I can´t see clearly on the photos. Kidney has 4 spokes and not five. Newer resonator and muffler - not a big thing but I´m wondering why those are changed with only 10k miles on.

Rear badge is the earliest style and seems correct to me. Rockers were black from factory on. Rocker trim was added later. Washer bottle is correct. On some of the photos color looks like sahara, on others looks even like a little weathered chamonix (that´s how it is with photos though).

Clear CV boots are remarkable. Never realized they were clear when new. The used ones I had were always milky white or tannish (and some were so hard that you could easily break off small parts from them).

Car looks great nonetheless.

Best regards, Lars.

Ei guude wie? (Spoken as "I gooooda weee" and hessian idiom for "Hi, how are you?")

Já nevím, možná zítra.

Here is my take, Mr Russell and company sell more cars, value wise, in a day, than most of us make in annual income. I do not think he would misrepresent this car to possibly put a mark on his reputation. In the same breath I also think a misstatement about a $27,000 car would do anything to his business.

He is a top drawer resto shop with a client list that would make us drool. One time when I was there, he was loading up a trailer load of cars he restored headed to one client in Greenwich. Each car on the trailer was rare and 100 points.

"90% of your carb problems are in the ignition, Mike."

1972 2000tii Touring #3422489

1972 2002tii with A4 system #2761680

FAQ member #5

What I noticed.

1/ Looks like new carpets as I would have thought they should be the early felt style that doesn't have edging around the pedals - why on such a low mileage car?

2/ Front end suspension not been touched, control arm covered in oil, so probably all needs rebuilding. What else?

3/ I don't know if it is a US thing, but I've never seen a '68 1600 without the sill trim and with black sills. The very early cars may be - like the press car and the gorgeous derby grey car in the US. Could be wrong.

4/ Clear CV boots are a servicable item still available from the dealer - obviously just replaced as they stay clear for about 1000 miles!

Lovely car, but without seeing better pics I doubt that's original paint, and for the money I'd want the mileage verifiable and the suspension and brakes in factory condition.

Just a couple of centimes from this side of the pond.

avaTour2.jpg.52fb4debc1ca18590681ac95bc6f527f.jpg

Looked it up in my documents now:

First lot of 1600/02 had VINs from 1500001 to 1550000 and was produced from 03/1966 to 02/1968 (Euro spec). If the VIN on the car above is still the original one it is from that lot.

According to my data there was a number of 13243 cars produced in 1966, 32062 for 1967. With that the car above should be a 02/67 or 03/67.

US spec cars started with VIN 15600001 up to 1572930 produced from 08/67 to 03/71. Numbers produced: 2153 for 67, 5377 for 68, 3174 for 69, 1695 for 70 and 763 for 71.

Best regards, Lars.

Ei guude wie? (Spoken as "I gooooda weee" and hessian idiom for "Hi, how are you?")

Já nevím, možná zítra.