• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Green Machine Totaled by a Truck

asifallasleep

Friday Jan 13 10:25am, a block away from my home, i'm hit head on by an idiot in a 1999 Chevy S1500. That's a huge truck by the way. He makes a left turn into the intersection as I'm driving thru it. Appears about 3 feet in front of me, i slam on my brakes and we collide. Estimates to repair my car are between $5-7K. Insurance company has decided to total the vehicle. My car was restored and in near perfect condition. All internals were less than a year old, including rebuilt engine, beautiful seats, dash etc. Insurance company now has to find comps. Reputable shop in SoCal estimated the value of my car to be at least $9500. The insurance company views my car as just an old car, which is why they totaled it, but they will be in for a rude awakening when they try to find comps. As we all know these cars are very rare, especially ones in good condition.

post-18305-13667655331524_thumb.jpeg

post-18305-13667655332567_thumb.jpeg

PREVIOUS:

1979 Jeep Cherokee

1980 VW Scirocco

1983 Porsche 944

1986 BMW 325i

1999 VW GTI VR6

2000 BMW 323

2000 Porsche Boxster

2001 BMW X5

2003 Porsche 911

2003 Mini Cooper S

2005 BMW Z4

1974 BMW 2002

Current:

1995 BMW M3

2003 Infiniti FX35

Take the payout and buy the car back. It looks like most of the damage was up high.$7,000 seems high for repairs as your not going to know alot until you get the sheet metal off. The problem with a cmp no matter how good it is it wont match what you have already done...Good luck

is mostly sheet metal.

And meet with the other guy's insurance company wearing a neck brace...

As others have said, that sucks black swamp water. Two 2002s reported whacked by trucks this week...

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

That sucks, man. I've been in your shoes twice now.

Two pieces of advice:

1. Keep fighting. Argue about your car's value with your insurance company and get a lawyer. You might be able to get them to just fix it, or maybe make up the difference in perceived value with "pain and suffering" money. It might sound a bit screwy, but this is a dog-eat-dog world and the insurance rep's job is to pay you as little as possible.

2. Buy the shell back for salvage and transfer all the good stuff to a good body. I had the same M10 in four different 1600/2002s, including my current one (previous three wrecked, one of them my fault). just because the insurance company doesn't see the value in your car, at least you know the value of it's parts. Buying the salvaged car from them usually only costs a few hundred bucks.

ClayW
1967 1600-2 - M42 - 1521145          Follow my project at www.TX02.blogspot.com          E30 DD Project Blog

Thanks guys. Just got another opinion from the mechanic who built the car and he says definitely over $5K to fix it. Problem is that the car will now have a salvage title, so he suggests that I not fix it. I do have a lawyer.

PREVIOUS:

1979 Jeep Cherokee

1980 VW Scirocco

1983 Porsche 944

1986 BMW 325i

1999 VW GTI VR6

2000 BMW 323

2000 Porsche Boxster

2001 BMW X5

2003 Porsche 911

2003 Mini Cooper S

2005 BMW Z4

1974 BMW 2002

Current:

1995 BMW M3

2003 Infiniti FX35

Thanks guys. Just got another opinion from the mechanic who built the car and he says definitely over $5K to fix it. Problem is that the car will now have a salvage title, so he suggests that I not fix it. I do have a lawyer.

Well, the hope is to convince the insurance company that the car is valuable enough to not total.

If the salvage title is unavoidable, you don't want to bother fixing it. In that case, just buy the salvaged car back and remove all the worthwhile parts to transfer to another shell.

ClayW
1967 1600-2 - M42 - 1521145          Follow my project at www.TX02.blogspot.com          E30 DD Project Blog

Show them the records of your restoration. If they have an independent appraiser, they ask about any recent (at least for a year) investments/replacements, etc.

Fight them - the longer you hold out, the more it costs them in storage fees and other expenses. If necessary, get appraisals from an independent.

Clyde Gates BMW CCA #19280

2009 Rav4 (wife's ride)

06 Toyota PU (Parts hauler)

89 325ic

75 2002 (parts)

74 2002 (Pigcheeks project)

73 2002 (auto to fi stick project)

70/75 2002 rolling