• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Speedo going crazy

nbristow01

Need a bit of help. Today my speedo started working improperly. Going 40 it would shoot up to 80, sit a while, bounce down then back up, just reading al kinds of stuff. Whenever it would be acting up< which is constant now, a wack on the dash and it would return to normal for a few seconds than back to going crazy. By wacking on the dash I am assumming it is in the speedo or at the cable at the very end. I have taken the speedo out. The cable was brand new for my 5 speed conversion about a year ago I guess. My question is if this seems to be a lubrication issue. Is there a ccertain place I lube the speedo? When I put back together I will put oil down the cable as well. This may solove my issue but any additional info would be greatly appreciated.

I'm not as dumb as I look

74 Verona

06 Audi A3

09 Mercedes C300

06 VW Passat

03 VW Conv Beetle

Chances are it's in the speedo. The cable if it has issues wont speed up, only slip. Send your speedo in to get looked, rebuilt, and calibrated.

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

No personal experience, but I've heard form others who have nice things to say. http://www.nhspeedometer.com/

I may have solved the issue, I took the mounting plate off the back of the speedo and there was a screw about to fall out. It is a screw that holds the speedo mechamism in place. If was just flopping around when I took the back off. Lets see if this fixes it...thanks for the responses

74 Verona

06 Audi A3

09 Mercedes C300

06 VW Passat

03 VW Conv Beetle

Chances are it's in the speedo. The cable if it has issues wont speed up, only slip. Send your speedo in to get looked, rebuilt, and calibrated.

Who doe this work?

In a folder of papers from my 3.0 CSi, North Hollywood Speedometer and clock, http://www.nhspeedometer.com/

rebuilt the speedo and clock.

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

Who doe this work?

In a folder of papers from my 3.0 CSi, North Hollywood Speedometer and clock, http://www.nhspeedometer.com/

rebuilt the speedo and clock.

Thanks I will keep that info in case I need it

74 Verona

06 Audi A3

09 Mercedes C300

06 VW Passat

03 VW Conv Beetle

No personal experience, but I've heard form others who have nice things to say. http://www.nhspeedometer.com/

I may have solved the issue, I took the mounting plate off the back of the speedo and there was a screw about to fall out. It is a screw that holds the speedo mechamism in place. If was just flopping around when I took the back off. Lets see if this fixes it...thanks for the responses

If not ok, you can also send to Rick Borth, Austin (a little nearer).

www.speedometer.com

He repaired my Touring speedo for me a few years ago.

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

If you get tired of cables you could try one of these GPS speedometers.

http://www.speedhut.com/

I'm definitely going this way when my speedo dies. Plus it has an altimeter, direction indicator, 1/4 mile time, and 0-60 time all built in!

Check out their quad gauge as well and imagine that in place of the current water temp/fuel gauge. The fuel gauge is programmable so it will work with any sender. If I had the money I'd be all over it.

'69 2002

'59 MGA

'67 Chevy C20

“Suppose you were an idiot and suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.” - Mark Twain

Nick, let us know if tightening that screw works.... I just put a new speedo cable into a brand new instrument cluster and if it doesn't work.... may try the digital route.

Marc

I will know in a few hours LOL

74 Verona

06 Audi A3

09 Mercedes C300

06 VW Passat

03 VW Conv Beetle

I did a BMW CCA Roundel column on how to repair this problem. It's in the speedometer head if you don't have a kinked/dry speedo cable. The same thing happend to mine a couple of years ago.

Fairly simple repair once you pull the instrument cluster.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Thanks! I don't know how I can live without that GPS speedo now. There are plenty of other ways to track speed (phone, GPS unit, restored/new stock speedo) but the Legacy GPS speedo is sooo cool. Price needs to come down a bit.

1974 polaris A 4281992 (total resto with 5-spd conversion)

1976 jadegrun 2744974 (sold then killed by the new owner, grrrr!)

1976 sahara A 2392532 (sold)

1971 nevada 2571108(RIP)

Well it is worknig smooth today but now showing 6 to 7 mph over what I am going, so at 50 it shows 56 or 57. There are those 2 screws in back. I may mess with them tonight and see if they are for calibration. I will see if adjustng them changes the differential

74 Verona

06 Audi A3

09 Mercedes C300

06 VW Passat

03 VW Conv Beetle