• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Oops... I screwed up

B-Doon

Earlier this week I embarked on a project to tune my 02 up for the winter months. I can only drive my 02 (no A/C) in the fall/winter/spring months here in Phoenix. So I chased the plug holes, replaced the plugs, reset the timing, and was preparing to go out for a short drive before I dialed in the carb...

I was in the garage looking under the hood and playing with my 32/36. I have it a little gas, and there was a really loud metal on metal 'POP' then she died. It turns out that the first cylinder 'rejected' the spark plug and flung it onto the floor of the garage...

Because the engine was warm I gingerly tried putting the plug back in but it never would tighten up in the hole. I was able to use my fingers to wiggle the plug out of the hole. I am going to wait until it cools down and really get in there to see what's going on, but I think the hole is really buggered up! I just can't win.

Look forward to more questions from me about removing/reinstalling the head in the near future.

Peace,

Brian

72 inka

I'm guessing a Heli-coil is in your future.

Sounds like the plug thread is stripped and the compression spit the plug out.

I think it can be fixed without taking the head off if you find the right shop.

71, flat black

Beat to fit, paint to match.

Do what you love and you'll never work a day in your life.

"Some people spend a lifetime wondering if they made a difference, Marines don't have that problem" - Ronald Reagan

I love the title of this thread! Heck, I'm 60 and I plan on working on my car tomorrow so rest assured, I will screw up as well, I've got plenty of experience screwing up!

heli coil sounds like the answer and it's not too tough a fix

good luck

Jeff

A tip for the helicoil insertion. The hard part is getting the junk out of the cylinder.

Put the cylinder at top of travel.

Insert rag soaked in oil to catch the shavings.

Tape a straw to your shop vac to suck out the shavings. Then pull the rag and suck it again.

Spin the engine with the plug out to eject the last few shavings.

s.jpgp.jpgx.jpgh.jpgm.jpg

BMW Lotus Healey Miata x 2

If you decide you want a shop to fix it, try Beyer Motor Works in Chandler. This is a very modern shop, but the owner, Roy, has been daily driving his 1971 2002 since the day he bought it new at the dealership he was working in at the time. It's at his shop every day he is there. They are not cheap, but they've done work on both my '75 and my wife's '76 and the work has been very good.

Beyer Motor Works

300 S. 79th St

Chandler

480/961-9449

Guest Anonymous

Tip from a clumsy oaf. I used TimeSert instead of Helicoil. Worked great. Slather the tap with Vaseline to catch any metal shavings and turn it slowly

when cutting new threads.

So do you guys recommend trying the helicoil with the head on? I assume I should remove the exhaust manifold to give me room to work.

Also, I did some poking around this am. The spark plug shot out of the cylinder, bounced off the stock manifold cover, and right into the washer bottle breaking it. Good times!

Tip from a clumsy oaf. I used TimeSert instead of Helicoil. Worked great. Slather the tap with Vaseline to catch any metal shavings and turn it slowly

when cutting new threads.

From what I have heard, TimeSert is considered to be a better repair compared to HeliCoil. I would call your local machine shop, and see which method they prefer. I have never used a TimeSert kit before, but I do believe it is much easier to center, as compared to a Helicoil.

1971 BMW 2002

38/38 DGAS

292 cam

TEP 4-1 header

Ansa Sport muffler

Bilstein Sports

H/R Sports

Full Urethane

Bavaria Control Arms/02 Tension Rods

IE adjustable sways

15x7 König Rewind

Time-Sert is the best repair

remove the other 3 plugs and inspect those holes also.

if they look buggered up, loose, missing threads,

then your either towing it to a shop with experience

to work with the head inplace, or the other alternative

is removal of the head - to also inspect it for other

issues like valve/seat condition, warpage, cracking,

generally testing, inspecting, and repairing the head so

you can have 20+ years of carefree driving.

http://www.amazon.com/BIG-SERT-Oversize-Spark-Thread-Repair/dp/B003RLGT18

31zqQvwlCFL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"