• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2002ti wannabe project begins

jgerock

I think there are many known cans, outside U.S.... :-p

I forgot to tighten only one MC fitting on the project car.

...But I did forget to tighten the 2 fittings at the a/c drier before charging.... :-/

Cheers,

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

you must be using one of the last known cans of ATE super blue brake fluid....a perfect match for your cars color!!!!

I went to my local Subaru performance shop about the time ATE Blue was pulled from the market. I bought their last two quarts. I didn't need them, but I have them.

-David

1972 2002 - 2577652 Follow the fun

I went to my local Subaru performance shop about the time ATE Blue was pulled from the market. I bought their last two quarts. I didn't need them, but I have them.

I bet you didn't.

I bet you bought their last 2 liters.

:D

Ray

Did more cleaning of the rear carb today then installed new gaskets and some of the new jets.  The existing venturis and jets in this particular set of carbs was exactly what I had purchased new from the Alfa Romeo seller on ebay so I only replaced the gaskets, pump diaphragm and the main jets.

There are minor differences in the replacement parts

C4B5B80F-7131-4D5A-83FC-28C7653F0E20_zps

The rebuild kit does not include the proper sealing washers for the main jets so I reused the old ones. The new accelerator pump diaphragm spring is a little different also.

Here is the rear carb after putting everything back together.  I only wish I had access to a soda blaster to really get the housings looking like new.  After soaking in carb cleaner, I used some ABC corrosion buster with a rag and brass brush.

IMG_9640_zps2895870d.jpg

B6A59522-1732-43F7-86E1-F4E57ECFEB57_zps

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

• 2 weeks later...

Time for an update!

Switched out the brake fluid reservoir thinking the old (new) one was leaking under pressure at the seam.  Turns out my almost new pressure bleeder from BavAuto/Motive leaks at the quick connect cap fitting.  There was nothing wrong with the other reservoir. 

46EC86F2-DE9F-4891-86B1-2F71A7019B5F_zps

Tip for those of you who struggle fitting the brake hoses to the reservoir and M/C elbows:  Take a bit of new brake fluid and smear it on the plastic fitting - the hose should slip on much easier.  If you don't, then you could risk twisting the fitting right off the reservoir.

Got both the brakes and clutch bled - but will no doubt have to do them again one more time.

With the rear end back down on the ground, I torqued the rear axle nuts (36mm socket) to 150 ft-lbs. with my 1/2" torque wrench then switched to my breaker bar with the jack handle.  New cotter pins installed.

Installed a new foam shifter pad from BLUNT and installed the old rubber boot and shift knob (knob courtesy of Jim Hanks).  

9425EA14-5701-4BEE-9BD8-4D3A984646A4_zps

Better picture of the console  - not done yet.

FFE9B08A-FCB9-4F1F-BBDF-566C9605A1DE_zps

Installed a remanufactured SR-440X Bosch starter from BLUNT (weighs only 6 lbs.) but this one didn't include a spade terminal for the solenoid trigger so I modified an old ignition coil terminal to work with my factory wiring harness.

0C38EE51-6E77-46C1-AADA-4C4550EDABEB_zps

6DD05870-05E7-412F-AFD9-96437EB3F9EA_zps

Installed the Bosch remanufactured distributor that I originally bought from Pelican Parts for the tii but the curve wasn't correct.

14478B85-A1CF-42C9-BF3E-25677BFAE16A_zps  Note the small coolant outlet fitting on the 72tii head.

Cleaned up the 2nd (front) Solex carburetor and installed it today along with most of the accelerator linkage, the choke parts and the air cleaner (temporarily).   I'm using the stock BMW "crossover bridge" along with the horizontal linkage piece from Lars Alpina in Germany.

2CA99FD4-FCA1-4142-A598-CD8008FBF622_zps

The firewall support bracket is an NOS BMW part with delrin bushing.  The part purchased from Lars didn't have the correct hole alignment on my firewall so I decided to use the factory part.  I did have to increase the bore size in the bushing to accept the horizontal rod from Lars' piece.

E31270A3-031D-431E-9689-93EB09E20531_zps

My next issue is the stock pivot rod that snaps between the horizontal rod and the left carburetor cannot be twisted (it is seized) so I tried using an old one removed from my tii.  It is too long and the linkage rod hits the rear manifold way before WOT so I must do some tweaking.

32F33996-DCE6-466F-B3AE-D9E63397EEAB_zps

Next I bolted on the NOS choke bracket and fit my stock 2002 carb'd choke cable but it is either in a bind or just plain stuck.

D1F109A4-C14E-4F05-8AAD-A37A2328161F_zps

Test fitted the air cleaner and (4) rubber boots but the boots aren't lining up very well.  My Solex carbs do have angled air inlets.  I'm wondering if I must remove the aluminum inlet stubs, slide them onto the rubber boots/air cleaner housing prior to installing in the car.  Anyone remember how the proper sequence goes?

DA5C74C8-65EC-41FA-9205-A9368DB29DAE_zps

45CE0F18-326E-4A74-9E34-82A3F92370FD_zps

Here are the boots I purchased a few years ago

78CAAA88-4372-4F79-961B-3D5D1EE44D5B_zps

Still to do:

Fill engine with oil

Fill radiator and engine with coolant

Make final connections to electric fuel pump (using inertia activated cut off switch from Pegasus Racing)

Connect nylon fuel line to both carburetors

Paint and attach accelerator linkage to pedal box

Connect linkage to firewall pivot

Test electrics 

Connect brake booster to front intake manifold

Fit correct accelerator linkage rod

Fix choke cable

Install Wideband 02 sensor gauge in console

Start and tune engine

Swap stock 02 wheels for aluminum ones 

Register car with antique plates

Align front end

Tighten suspension pieces while on ground

Bleed brakes and clutch again.

By the way, all (4) of my steel wheels are date coded January 1976

043D5B3F-E54B-4736-9D2C-28CE1111ACF8_zps

8B6CA8BB-6639-4936-90AC-8842E8BA509F_zps

E96C9C2F-C9BD-4959-8A5F-BB8E6B967C9B_zps

Jim Gerock

You left out "prime the timing chain tensioner."

Jim what's the ID of the small hose at the head to heater core? Are both ends the same? 14mm? Project car I think needs 14mm at head and 18 at heater core. If that's what u got, what's the p/n?

Cheers,

Ray

You left out "prime the timing chain tensioner."

Jim what's the ID of the small hose at the head to heater core? Are both ends the same? 14mm? Project car I think needs 14mm at head and 18 at heater core. If that's what u got, what's the p/n?

Cheers,

Ray- I primed the tensioner with oil before installing the upper cover. Hope I don't have to do it again. The small hoses are 15mm versus the later 18mm. I have a larger threaded fitting for the cylinder head if you need one.

Jim Gerock

Thanks Jim, the fitting really won't budge. I think I'll finagle or find a hose with 15mm dia at one end and 18 at the other. I need to pull the heater box anyway so we'll see what the easiest avenue will be then.

New motor is in. Runs well!

Cheers,

Ray