• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Windshield Locking Strip replacement, any tricks/tips?

autoaloha

i have searched. I know I'm supposed to use vaseline, but does anyone have any tips- this is not really working so hot. Tools, methods?

TIA

-ken

1984 Pininfarina Spider Azzura (Fiat 124): sold

1992 300ZX Twin Turbo: sunny days

2001 Toyota 4runner: sold

1974 BMW 2002 automatic: daily

1991 BMW 325iC: sold

1986 BMW 528e: daily

Bavauto.com has a tool

aww, geez. 18 bucks for something I'll use once.... anyone have one of these they'd like to lend me? I'll pay for shipping of course and include a box of hawaiian macadamia nut chocolates

Lotsa luuuube and a sharp stick!

(well, if you carve the stick into the right shape, it'll open the gasket

up enough to let you slip the lockstrip in pretty easily...)

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Bavauto.com has a tool

aww, geez. 18 bucks for something I'll use once.... anyone have one of these they'd like to lend me? I'll pay for shipping of course and include a box of hawaiian macadamia nut chocolates

wouldn't shipping to and from hawaii + a box of wax-covered nuts cost more than buying the Lisle 49000 tool for yourself? then you can use it for the rear window as well...

Bavauto.com has a tool

wouldn't shipping to and from hawaii + a box of wax-covered nuts cost more than buying the Lisle 49000 tool for yourself? then you can use it for the rear window as well...

haha, yeah... but it'd be piece of mind knowing that we didn't order another one from china, and someone lucky chap gets some 'wax covered nuts' (since when is milk chocolate waxy?). but i guess you could be right about the cost aspect...

what do you think bavauto would charge me to ship it here? 10-12? plus the 18 cost, so thirty total? i bet we can get under that with USPS flatrate box.

meantime- I'll try whittling a stick. :)

.....place the lock strip in a bucket of hot lava water to soften

it before installation.

how much is gas/gallon out there on the island ?

• Haha 1

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

There really isn't a magical tool that makes this easy. BavAuto's lockstrip tool helps, but it's still a pain. This is really a case where brute force and determination are the best things in the toolbox.

~Rob

'73 2002 Warmbold Rally Car Imitator

'89 325i Time Capsule

u may want to pull the windshield and existing gasket off and attempt the install w/ the lockstrip already in place. i will be trying this myself as well in a few weeks. i remember seeing the post in the construction forum.

edited for clarification...i will be installing a NEW gasket along w/ NEW lockstrip. if ur gasket is old or hard, i would replace that.

my project blog:

craaaazzy's 2002 project

oh- and by the way - you cannot install a new locking trim

strip into an original old rotten rubber seal - if that is your task ?

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

use glycerin, or dish soap, not vaseline. i've used the pointy wooden end of a cheap disposible paint brush (appropriately sized, about 3/4 - 1 inch size) as a convenient means to apply the glycerin to the lockstrip groove. merely dip the pointy end in the glycerin and push it along the groove to ensure an ample coating of lube.

you'll definitely want to preheat the lockstrip to make it more pliable: hot water soak or sun soak beforehand.

i will be using coaxial cable TV wire for my next lockstrip. after about 4 years, my new silver lockstrip is turning a dull yellowish brown. hardly worth the $40 cost. i'll get over the black appearance of the TV wire. wouldn't it be cool if it could serve double-duty as a radio antenna too?!!!

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

Place the locking strip on the gasket before installing the windshiled on the car. It's a lot easier than trying to squeeze the lockstrip afterwards. Even with the tool, heated gasket and lockstrip and plenty of dish soap, it's a royal pain.

Pierre

O==00==O

69 2002 (M20), 74 tii, 76 533i, 79 323i, 80 732i, 84 323i (S50) 91 318is, 96 318ti (S52), 97 Z3, 02 330i, 03 525iT, 02 R1150 RTP.
Auxiliary Lamp Brackets  Kamei Reproduction Front Air Dam

My car was missing the rear lockstrip which had hardened and broken away in pieces.

The gasket needs replacing, so as an interim fix, I went to NAPA and bought 16' of rubber Vac tubing of the appropriate size. The clerk looked at me like I was from Mars - they don't sell that much vac tubing in a month.

It was pliable enough to insert by hand (though still a struggle), but sprung back in the channel to 'lock' in place.

It is really more appearance than function as the gasket is so old and hard, it's locked into place all on it's own.

When I do replace the gasket (at the paintwork stage), I'll go with the Turbo lockstrip.

The Lisle tool works great, but not without lots of soapy water in a spray bottle and lots of oomph!

Cheers!

1976 BMW 2002

1990 BMW 325is (newest addition)

1990 Porsche 964 C4 Cabriolet