• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2002 sacrilege

Jim356

One of the more interesting engine conversions....I find it offensive. I really enjoy "a little sheet metal work finishing the turbo box and air intake (turbo is remote located in trunk)."

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/cto/2139402996.html

1972 BMW - $4000 (Indianola IA)

Date: 2011-01-02, 12:31AM CST

Reply to: sale-bv7q7-2139402996@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

It's a non-running project. It needs finished. I'd keep it but my daily driver decided to die and so the toy has to go to either replace or repair the car. So here's the description.

1972 BMW 2002 with a Nissan 300zx turbo V6 installed with a 5 speed. But it needs the engine wiring loom modified for the different placement (I've got 2 looms so the wire color matches), the engine accesories and brackets (I have them in one of the many boxes of parts), a radiator and hoses (I don't have any of these parts), interior installed ( the front seats have been recovered the back seats look like they've never been sat in), and a little sheet metal work finishing the turbo box and air intake (turbo is remote located in trunk).

EXTRA PARTS:

Complete Nissan 3.0 turbo V6

5-speed trans

Original 4 cyl and 4 speed

Trunk lid

3 complete turbos

lots of misc parts.

I would trade for the right vehicle so shoot me any questions you may have.

• it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

Seems on odd choice of engine. The VG30 isn't really all that cool. It would probably be easier the make equal power with a turbo/MS setup on an M10. For that much fabbing/cutting/aleration I have gone either M20 (which would make more power with less displacement more easily) or a SBC. I suppose it might just be my old Supra bias coming through with trash-talking Nissans though (but really the VG30 isn't that good of an engine)

73 Sahara

76 S52 swap of dooooooooom

01 540i-6

90 Range Rover classic (because 02s just weren't masochistic enough)

Very nice. I would rock that in a heartbeat. I had a '89 300XZX and my dad still owns his '87. A stock VG30E made 160hp and 180ish ft. lbs. of torque. A stock turbo VG30ET made 200hp and 220 ft. lbs.

The VG engine is very compact and fairly light for a V6. The only drawbacks are the timing belt. It must be replaced every 60K miles or valve damage will occur if it breaks, just like the BMW M20. And the intake manifold doesnt flow very well.

In the mid '80s, Nissan used stock production VG engine blocks for its IMSA 300ZX turbo race cars. Those cars made 1000+HP back then. Sounds familier, eh?!

01-newman.jpg

David G.
1989 Volvo 240 Wagon "Da Brick" Daily driver
1992 Nissan Sentra SE-R "Hitomi" Sleeping. Waiting for NEO VVL!!
1976 BMW 2002 "Diana" The never ending project!!!

I bet Paul Cain could make it go fast but not far.

<p>69 (M2 Project-stalled); 72tii (a) Taiga/ m42 swap in process;91 E30 vert; 2013 Porsche Cayenne GTS; 65 Mustang fastback 500hp+ resto mod in process ;72 Porsche 911s project; 70 2002 M2 2.5L getting closer

I'm glad it's so far away.

And so overpriced.

The VG30tt is not the world's worst motor

(especially in a 510)

and weighs fully dressed about what an M10 weighs- naked.

That said, yeah, in a 510 it'd be perfect.

But BMW only makes long motors, and the 2002 has a short

engine bay. So why not a triple rotary?

Or the Renesis?

I've made too many mistakes myself to get too wound up

about others' choices....

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Unfinished adventurous project ads like this always make me want to ask if they'll sell it without the non BMW engine, trans etc. Nothing against the V6, just better suited for an enthusiast car that didn't already come with a decent engine. IMHO.

It's about 500 miles from me, if I was looking for a project and had room/time/money, I'd prolly be interested if it's a tii.

vince

I never met a v6 which was a nice balanced engine. Then again most v6 i've ever met were some kind of horrid domestic.

You never drove an Alfa V6 like a Milano or GTV6.

OOooooo what a sweetheart!

John

Fresh squeezed horseshoes and hand grenades

Honestly the VQ35 feels pretty good too. It is one of the better feeling V6s I've driven (and yes, from the same guy who was just ragging in the VG series). It is worlds better than the American V6s most people think about.

Still not a fan of a V6 in an 02 (or a 510, so :P!!!!)

73 Sahara

76 S52 swap of dooooooooom

01 540i-6

90 Range Rover classic (because 02s just weren't masochistic enough)