• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

spark plug wire loom?

vintage_car

Do as CD suggests or call Kingsborne directly and tell them you want the wire set (early or late, coil wire is different length) and that you want them to add the loom on it before sending.

I had a problem with mine, the second wire from the distributor was too short--they used the wrong length--so I had to ship it back to have it re-made. tell them you are aware that this is a possibility and you want to ensure that the wire lengths are correct. I think it takes a 16" two 21" and one 26"

Loom clips can be found at the hardware store and yes, the indentations don't line up, just as in your picture. I had to cut some rubber from the bottom of mine for an exact fit. I think I used the 1" variety.

Ben

--> 1968 2002 <--

Give Kingsborne a call. They carry one that fits, even though it's for an Audi. Fits like a charm, unless you've already shortened your plug wires. You need the extra wire slack to snake through the tube. I think I paid $17 for just the tube, but it would be smart to have them make the set up for you. Some of my existing wires were too short.

http://www.kingsborne.com/

post-5612-13667629764155_thumb.jpg

Never let school get in the way of your education!

SiteNamecopy.jpg

• 4 years later...

Not to dig up an old post, but I am about to start a new job in the automotive field, specifically parts department at mini, and I hear I can get parts from bmw at cost + 10%. I'm on a scavenger hunt to find all the part numbers for things I'll be purchasing in the future.

I would love to find one of these looms, but I can't seem to figure out any part numbers or anything really. Is it a new set of ignition wires that are pre-bundled in a tube or is the tube separate and you feed your spark plug wires into it?

Daily '74 BMW 2002 w/ Dual 40's

Signature

Visit my Wheelwell to see what I've done to the car

The following parts plate -- which I was able to pull up by inputting my '76's VIN, 2742541 -- shows an illustration of the plastic wire conduit but, unfortunately, does not show a description or parts number listing for the conduit -- indicating it was not a correct part for my '76. My '76 never had the conduit and I can't say I ever saw one on an '02 until the last half of the '70s, when they started to appear on some e21s. And people were actively retro-fitting them to '02s. This does not explain, however, why the conduit even appears on an '02 parts plate! Was the part introduced with the e21 (May '75 in Europe) and thus found its way onto a few contemporary '75 or '76 '02s -- at the factory? I do believe that a few 2002’s, probably 1975’s, came from the factory with the plastic wire conduit. I’m not certain, however.

http://realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=2215-USA-04-1976-114-BMW-2002&diagId=12_0922

I'll look for a part number.

Regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

On 7/16/2015 at 6:33 PM, lilcphoto said:

So is it a separate tube that you can open up and fit any spark plug wires through or is it a complete part that replaces everything?

It's a simple plastic tube: you insert the spark plug wires in the end closest to the distributor and pull one wire out at each of the exit "ports".

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Kingsborne wires will make a set with or without the loom.

http://www.kingsborne.com/

Kingsborne only shows '75 and '76 options when selecting sets by vehicle.  The only difference between those and earlier years is the placement of the coil.  I'll bet one could contact them and specify the coil wire length.

I used their 8mm wires, without the loom.  They seem like nice wires.

My '76 had the steel strap-wraps that go under a valve cover nut.

The stock strap-ties were too tight on the 8mm wires, so I used rubber-lined straps from the hardware store.

020_zps79sqnjuk.jpg

The 3/4" size flattens out to hold the wires from 1&2 and the coil.  

022_zpsx3bplcde.jpg

All five wires run through a 1" strap nicely.

021_zpsp5hvso8b.jpg

I placed the wires over the cover, but have seen a lot of them installed hanging the wires out over the exhaust manifold.

Which way did they come from the factory?

I like the loom idea, but like anything, there are probably good ones and not so nice ones.

Anybody happy with their Kingsborne loom?

• Like 1

This wire set w/loom came from Kingsborne.  I dig it, it's been working great for many years.  It's made using good BERU parts.  The little riser bolts and the clamps for the loom are BMW parts from a lot of the older big-6 cylinder cars (5-series 535's, e9 coupes, 635's etc.)  Be careful if you already have the loom and just want to order a replacement set of wires for it.  The wire set made to fit the loom uses wires that are cut longer than the standard set has.  The #3 wire will be too short.  Been there, done that.  Best is to call them and tell them what you want.  As far as the coil wire, they always send me a coil wire that's the long non-tii length.  You just unscrew the connector from the coil side of the wire, cut it to the length you want.  Then screw the connector back on the wire.  It's easy.

The BMW part number for the tube clamps: 12-12-1-350-635

I can't find the part number for those little riser bolt things. 

post-33357-0-40413100-1437092917_thumb.j

post-33357-0-22374900-1437092930_thumb.j

Edited by JohnS
  • Like 1

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️

I plan on making a ghetto version out of split corrugated conduit with holes snipped in for where the wires exit. Some 'P' clips to the rocker cover studs and it's done. 

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/