• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1972 Tii Suspension Restoration

eurotrash

Well, I have been nose down working on this project for the last two months. I completed the job this past weekend, April 10, 2011 to be exact.

After much consultation on the scope of the project, the owner Scott Aaron and I settled on a plan and I went to work.

The car is a european 1972 Tii with a June 1972 build date. The body had been given a light resto and respray some years ago.. beyond that, it's been basic maintenance.

I tried to collect as many original type fasteners and lock nuts as I could scrape up from my own stash to bring it back to as an original status as possible. Service over the years had given it a variety of hardware.

The trailing arms were replaced due to one being completely perforated at the spring perch. The other had been replaced some years ago and was shelved.

Here is a photo run through of the project. The transformation is astonishing. Its primarily a stock rebuild, with only the shocks and end links being upgraded.

The Rear:

IMG_3821.jpg

IMG_3808.jpg

IMG_3815.jpg

IMG_3816.jpg

IMG_3818.jpg

IMG_3842.jpg

IMG_3849.jpg

IMG_3856.jpg

IMG_3872.jpg

IMG_3900.jpg

IMG_3907.jpg

IMG_3913.jpg

IMG_3965.jpg

IMG_3968.jpg

IMG_3970.jpg

IMG_3978.jpg

file-40.jpg

file-43.jpg

file-49.jpg

file-95.jpg

file-98.jpg

file-130.jpg

Replacements via the man Le Tran:

IMG_3820.jpg

The Front:

IMG_3994.jpg

IMG_3998.jpg

IMG_4019.jpg

IMG_4022.jpg

IMG_4026.jpg

IMG_4029.jpg

IMG_4031.jpg

IMG_4037.jpg

IMG_4073.jpg

file-7.jpg

file-24.jpg

file-20.jpg

file-25.jpg

file-37.jpg

file-61.jpg

file-60.jpg

file-72.jpg

file-71.jpg

file-94.jpg

file-112.jpg

file-137.jpg

file-139.jpg

file-144.jpg

Reassembly:

file-133.jpg

file-152.jpg

file-151.jpg

file-153.jpg

file-166.jpg

file-170.jpg

file-175.jpg

file-184.jpg

file-190.jpg

file-193.jpg

file-188.jpg

file-108.jpg

file-194.jpg

file-2185.jpg

file-1154.jpg

file-1624.jpg

file-1041.jpg

file-1902.jpg

file-1876.jpg

file-512.jpg

file-848.jpg

file-1869.jpg

file-1798.jpg

file-1751.jpg

th_file-693.jpg

th_file-1905.jpg

file-1737.jpg

Screenshot2011-04-12at102300AM.png

Special thanks to JohnnySquare for assisting with lifting the subframes back into place and the legwork mixing the green paint for the chasis.

And Blunttech for the OE parts and Billies. I.E. for the end links.

2002 newbie, and dead serious about it.
(O=o00o=O)
Smart Audio Products for your 2002

I'm curious about the rear diff. What is the ratio? I can see the pinion gear teeth count (11), but cannot make out the ring gear teeth stamped into the housing.

Wonder what that large "A" stamped into the housing stands for??

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Hi

Just wanted to give Jason a big thanks. The work and the results really speak for themselves, I think. And I want to thank John Blake, as he had figured out the subframe paint color, got the paint mixed, media blasted some parts, and took the parts to the painter.

Jason, I think your "credits" might have omitted Le Tran (I'm spelling his name from memory - hope I spelled it correctly)? He was the source of the trailing arms. Which kind of saved our bacon.

Great thing about this board is it's ability to bring people together. It's really cool in that respect.

I'm not hitting Vintage this year, but I'm making it in 2012.

The diff should be a 3.45, being euro tii. I bought the car in '87, so my memory of discussions with the previous owners are a little foggy (they were the second owners). I seem to remember the woman I bought the car from said the diff had some work done on it (the car lived in Paris at the time of the diff work). So it might not be original. I think it does have the 3.45 ratio, comparing it to other 02s I've driven in.

The car drives MUCH better now - it is just more fun and much tighter than it was. Jason undid years of deferred maintenance on my part, in about 6 weeks. We were even smart enough to do the project when the weather was so crappy I would have never driven the car anyway!

Scott

02ing since '87

'72 tii Euro  //  '21 330i x //  '14 BMW X5  //  '12 VW Jetta GLI

So you dont actually buy new hardware. All those shiny ones are renewed?

After talking with Blunt, we chose this route, as he did, because many of the fasteners have to be purchased in bulk. So if you need one, you still have to buy 25, etc.

Nice.

you can do mine next.

Paul

Paul, contact me. -And anyone else for that matter. RGB Tuning is "open for business".

I'm curious about the rear diff. What is the ratio? I can see the pinion gear teeth count (11), but cannot make out the ring gear teeth stamped into the housing.

Wonder what that large "A" stamped into the housing stands for??

I was trying to do the math on that too. Interestingly, the two numbers were punched into the housing in two places. The usual side location, and just above it on the top. Neither were terribly legible.

The best I can figure is that it looks like a 11- 78 or 79. Which makes no sense, unless you do the math on the second number like you would to convert the 'W' rating on a euro speedo.. Then it makes a little more sense.

Not sure about the big 'A' either. I saw that and had to highlight it.

---

Thanks to all for appreciating the effort. I love this work. This was a thrill for me, getting the nod from Scott. He's been a good owner so he, and the car, deserved it.

NOW LETS PRAY FOR THE WEATHER TO SHAPE UP FOR SATURDAY!!!!!

2002 newbie, and dead serious about it.
(O=o00o=O)
Smart Audio Products for your 2002