• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ring gap question

beast02er

Guest Anonymous
I'll add another note to my "shade-tree" method. I purchased a ring file because I thought I would have to adjust the Goetz rings to fit the individual bores, but I must have been pretty lucky, because I didn't have to use it.

I feel the same way about the hacksaw, chisel, pry bar and 3 lb hammer I keep in the trunk! If the trunk were bigger, I might say the same thing about my torches too.

Tools that lucky people dont need:

proform_66765.jpg

Ring%20File.jpg

Hmm.....

Almost every motor I have built (mot like there are more than 15 in my history) have used new pistons and rings and a fresh bore. Maybe its because of the quality of the replacement parts used..... Who knows. When I was a kid building my first A series motor I re-used the stock pistons and used iron rings in old sloppy bores. Worked fine for a little while.

I always check em. You guys should have seen me installing the J&E pistons in my current motor.

John

Fresh squeezed horseshoes and hand grenades

• 14 years later...

My little bit. A brand new factory block, the bore has a taper to the bottom, this is why you see a ring gap measurement from the bottom. once the cylinder has been bored this takes the taper out and is now close to a perfect tube. Now you can take the measurement from the top if you like. I like using cast-iron rings, as the gapping tolerance is the same from vehicle to vehicle measured From bore size.  however original M10 gaps are quite large I suppose that is the composition of the ring material.

5 hours ago, old trucker said:

My little bit. A brand new factory block, the bore has a taper to the bottom, this is why you see a ring gap measurement from the bottom. once the cylinder has been bored this takes the taper out and is now close to a perfect tube. Now you can take the measurement from the top if you like. I like using cast-iron rings, as the gapping tolerance is the same from vehicle to vehicle measured From bore size.  however original M10 gaps are quite large I suppose that is the composition of the ring material.

How does one bore a tapered hole?

Maybe OT means they wear in a taper.  My experience has been more that they wear somewhat egg- shaped,

with a belly in the middle.  But honestly, I've never bothered to map it carefully...

One does wonder why a 15 year thread was bumped...

I'm working on a couple of M54s right now- 200k miles, and almost no wear.  TONS of build- up, but 

even the ring flank clearance is well within spec.

M10s wear out quickly.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

2 hours ago, TobyB said:

One does wonder why a 15 year thread was bumped...

New User probably a Bot or AI

Edited by uai
  • Like 1

I do find myself wondering what the BotAIPseudoIntelligentsia is learning- maybe it's 

modelling our behaviour to better simulate us when it takes over the world...

t

tapered

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

AI will as stupid as humans it tries to simulate. When wetware gone nothing changes.

bored

Edited by tzei

2002 -73 M2, 2002 -71 forced induction. bnr32 -91