• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2002 as Daily Driver?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I must be crazy - I'm thinking that a 2002 or tii might make an interesting and engaging daily driver, especially if adding air conditioning is a not-too-difficult possibility. Anyone here care to chime in on the practicality of either (or both) of these notions? And how critical is it to install the 320i radiator upgrade? (I'm in Lost Angeles, where temps can be relatively high.)

Thanks - Jon

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been driving my 2002 daily for the last 13 years.

Anytime that I am forced to drive another car (modern car) I feel put out, like I am wasting valuable driving time that could be spent in an antique BMW.

I cant speak to the A/C issue, as I live in Seattle where we don't get much extreme weather, but there are A/C units and consoles available.

73 Riviera Daily driver 2002 - MS, 9.5:1, cam, LSD

I commute each day into LA (the Valley) from Simi. It does get warm but it is a mind-set. When I get into my 02 I crack the windows windwings and sunroof and its not bad. Yet when I get in my wifes car I turn the AC on. Mine has only let me down a couple of times and it was always my fault for not listening to it. Ran out of gas once prior to grounding my gauges, my shifter fell off in my hand after making some ominous noises for a week or so. Wouldnt trade the car as a DD for anything.

Bill

1973 2002 Chamonix sunroof (soon to be M42 swap)
2015 Ford Explorer-Wife
1999 Jeep Cherokee

1991 318i convertible (donor)

A few years ago, I would have dismissed your question immediately. After spending the post-E28/ post E30 decade driving new BMW's, I think it is a good question. I am so sick of the lack of reliability of the newer BMW's that I am actually shopping for an E30 as a daily driver replacement. If I could find a really well preserved >74 2002 with ac and a few upgrades, I would think hard about it as a daily as well. I have just spent many thousands of dollars to replace the plastic cooling components, poor quality CV boots, worn out bushings, leaky valve cover, and misc electronic bullshit on my 2003 X5 4.6is. It was the same story with my 01 M5 and the E36 M3 before it. I quess it all depends on your requirements, but simple and well made are looking better to me all the time. I have to remind myself occasionally that I daily drove the same 2002tii from 1974-83 with very few issues.

More former BMW's than it is possible to list.

I have driven my 02 daily for nearly ten years and I have hardly done a thing to it. It just wont die! When things do need attention they are easy and cheap to fix. Parts are plentiful and cheap and can always be found locally on Craigslist. These cars ventilate very well. They are not as streamlined as a modern car so between the vent windows, rear windows that pop out, and a sunroof if you have one, you can move a lot of air through the cabin, although you will need a bigger amp to hear the stereo :) Ive never been too hot in this car. When I get in other cars in the summer the AC goes on right away though.

I used a 72 2002 for a daily driver for several years commuting in the bay area from in heavy traffic from San Leandro to Livermore and it never once let me down.Now that I live in the north bay again I just rebuilt the engine in a 74 2002 and plan ondriving this 2002 as a daily driver as long as I last. My son said when I am gone that the 74 2002 is the only car of mine he won't sell because it will last another 30 years. One thing I think is absolutely needed on a daiy driver is a third brake light a very bright one.

Ceylon 1973 2002tii 2762669

1972 Austin Mini 1275 traded

1970 Barracuda Convertible

1974 Schwarz 2002

1955 Chevy Bel Air 2 Dr Hardtop

Hey Jon,

Where in LA are you?

i am in Culver City.

I am in the process of taking a restored to stock 2002 and turning it into a reliable daily driver. i am threw in a higher output alternator, going to put better brakes in, a more efficient carb (32/36)...

someday i want to fix the fuel filler neck so my girlfriend can fill it up without cursing me...

I had one as a daily driver in San Francisco and loved it. The only reasons i sold it was because of my (now 8yr old) daughter being born and all the financial and time constraints that go with a new baby...

-Josh

1972 Malaga (according to DMV) 2002. (Manufactured in '71)

http://www.beemersandbits.com

'77 BMW R100S '73 BMW Cafe bike  1966 Triumph T100C  1966 R90/2 BMW Sidecar Rig  1956 MV Agusta Turismo Rapido

I used my '74 2002tii, Mae West as a daily driver for two years here in the Bay Area.

When I made the decision to have "only one car," I chose to sell BOTH my tiis and buy an E30 (318is).

I suppose I could have sold my '73tii, "Orange Julius" and spent the money on A/C and other upgrades, but the rock-solid E30 chassis and factory options made my choice a "no-brainer."

After Ms. West was rear-ended on the 880 freeway, I said "enough-is-enough."

I still get a lot of looks in my Brillantrot 318is and there is enough residual 2002 heritage included at no extra charge. As a longtime BMW owner/driver, I can still "keep the faith."

No regrets.

D

1973 2002tii - gone

Inka (aka "Orange Julius")

1974 2002tii - gone

Polaris (aka "Mae West")

1991 318is (aka) "O'Hara")

Brillantrot - High Visibility Daily Driver

BMW CCA #1974 (one of the 308)

deliawolfe@gmail.com

After 5 years with a 1950 Dodge Meadowbrook as my daily the '02 feels down right modern! The only problem I have had is a bad motor mount causing my fan to eat my radiator a week after I got it. The mount was 33 years old and I had not had a chance to put a new one in yet. Turned out to be good since I replaced the radiator with a stock one and the thing runs beautifully cool all the time now. Best car I've ever bought in my entire life in my opinion. I'd say go for it!

Achtung Lieber Himmel!

1976 Rot und Schwartz daily driver "Otto Q. Gilgamesh"

mechanically sound, install a good E21 OD 5 speed (for relaxed freeway running), one of Curt's 3 row copper/brass replacement radiators and a thermo-switch activated pusher fan (it should NEVER overheat with that combo) and go for it.

If you decide you want a/c, look up HobieDave for a Sanden a/c compressor to M10 mount, do a thorough refurb on the a/c system (replace ALL hoses, o-rings, seals, etc), and plan to "bite the bullet" and use R12 refrigerant (02 a/c systems are borderline to start with, and R12 cools much better in early systems than R134). Won't hurt to put a light tint on the windows to cut down on heat gain, and cover the car if it's left in the sun so the interior isn't broiling hot when you get into it in the afternoon.

After buying our 69 sunroof in 2000 with 132K on it, I drove it every day (wet or dry, hot or cold) for 3+ years on a 60 mile daily Sacramento area commute on the original engine - never failed to start or broke down. During that period, a Weber 38/38 carb, E21 5 speed and 77 E21 vented rotor/big drum brakes were added for better overall performance. The engine was ultimately gone through at about 190K - it was taken out of daily usage after we acquired an almost free E21 and we decided not to continue to risk an original paint car in daily commute traffic.

Barry Allen
'69 Sunroof - sold
'82 E21 (daily driver), '82 633CSi (wife's driver) - both sold
66 Chevy Nova wagon (yard & parts hauler)

I've been driving my ' 75 daily for the past 28 yrs. here in So.AZ and love it. Yes, I do have A/C and it's on a fair amount of time. My wife's daily driver for the past 11 yrs. is her ' 76 ' 02, also w/ A/C. Dependable cars that are easy to maintain, parts readily available, and a wealth of knowledgeable and willing-to-help members in this community. What's not to like?

Bob Napier

I had a brief fling with a e30 318is sometime around y2k. Eventhough the 318is had super low mileage I always felt like my 02s were more reliable. With the 318is I had this gnawing feeling in my gut that cam profile gasket was going to fail at an moment.

I've had 5 continuous trouble free miles with my 76 2002. It drives as nice as when I got it. (test driving another 02 today made me appreciate my 76 all the more) I treat it like it's a truck and it just keeps on trucking.

Before dedicating an 02 to daily driver duty overhaul the cooling system (rad, hoses, thermostat, cap) and electrics (starter, battery, alt & pertronix) if they hadn't been gone through recently. Preventative maintenance ads peace of mind when dedicating a vintage car to daily driver duty. Brakes overhaul is very important too.

-Jaycen PNW2002