• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Vinyl from World Upholstery

mo's72tii

You are correct. Doing a restomod on a Tiaga 72tii as a first car for my youngest daughter. Bought a 74 auto for the parts and am converting the tii to auto. Just finished the tunnel mod to accomodate the auto. Redoing almost everything on the car with a few modern upgrades. Touch screen nav, ipod , back up camera in the center console along with adding a/c extra vents in the dash, heated seats, led lighting, 15" Ronal ls's, bare metal paint, euro license plate lights, shaving the front and rear side markers. Car came with the Italian turn signal indicators and orignal Hella driving lights.

would you consider adopting me??

Rob

1966 Mustang vert - 5.0EFI/AOD & mods

1975 '02 - the typical upgrades (my 'new' car)

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

lol....i have heard that before....you will need to take a number.

<p>69 (M2 Project-stalled); 72tii (a) Taiga/ m42 swap in process;91 E30 vert; 2013 Porsche Cayenne GTS; 65 Mustang fastback 500hp+ resto mod in process ;72 Porsche 911s project; 70 2002 M2 2.5L getting closer

I am waiting for the GAHH samples but they look pretty good online. I have the World samples and they are okay. I want to look and feel of the original. The mods (if done right) will look and feel like they belong there.

<p>69 (M2 Project-stalled); 72tii (a) Taiga/ m42 swap in process;91 E30 vert; 2013 Porsche Cayenne GTS; 65 Mustang fastback 500hp+ resto mod in process ;72 Porsche 911s project; 70 2002 M2 2.5L getting closer

Will start one. Saw the car on the rack today. The tunnel mod is done and looks original. The rest of the car is stripped. It is super clean ...no rust..cali car that was kept up.

I have a set from World Upholstery and they are very nice, done in real German vinyl, NOT DOMESTIC, perfect match to door panels in *gobi tan*. They also reproduce OE style door panels for less than half the price of BMW Classics, in real GERMAN VINYL (74-76), I have three sets, gobi tan, beige, and black, can't tell the difference from the originals.

I ordered up a set of front and rear seat covers from World. They have been making stuff for 2002's since the '80s and know what the differences are for a 1969 versus a 1972 versus a 1975. (they used to be known as XKSS and were making stuff for the Jag community for years before.)

The smooth and embossed sections of the vinyl are a damn close match to original, if not exact. The only real difference I could find with the kits was that the piping had a somewhat rough texture to it. The originals used a totally smooth piping. Then again, maybe the originals had a textured piping and it was just worn off after 37 years.

For me, that difference was not a deal breaker. Only the purist will notice that little detail, but then again, my car does not sit still very long. I'd rather drive a rally than sit at a car show. I feel the World covers are a good deal for the price. I need to get around and get mine installed. Maybe when the car rallies take a break.

The "feel" of the originals? Personally, I don't care for rock hard, brittle, 37 year old vinyl. :^)

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

Have you seen the prices at World? The early door panels are $525 per side (dealer $315.55) and the horse hair pads are $225 each pad (dealer is $62 for top and $71 for the bottom). That's a lot more than BMW sells them for.

According to the World website, early seat covers are available in domestic vinyl only.

Craig74tii

1978 Black Trans Am

Mercedes Benz 300CD, 300TD

Jeep Grand Wagoneers

I know....the world's first tii auto...

Yikes!!!

For Pete's sake, man... Just teach your daughter how to drive stick!! ;-)

Seriously, she'll be wayyyyy cooler driving a Taiga tii with a FIVE speed......

Anyway, looking forward to your project blog..

(==\___| SQARY02|___/==)

1975 Millie the Falcon (Originally Polaris, currently Primer-Grey/Spa-Blue)

1975 Eamon the Golden Nugget (Originally Golf, currently several other yellows, someday Dakar)

• 1 year later...
Are the dealers still selling 2002 parts? I am just about to buy one and the interior needs to be redone...

If parts are in the BMW pipeline, any dealer CAN get them, IF the parts guys will take the time to look them up.

Maximillian Importing is a BMW Classic vendor, and can & WILL get 2002 parts, if available. Their site is mentioned above. From there or realoem.com you can determine the part # for what you want and check price & availability.

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif