• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

So I've been hassled after failing to get my 02 running and trying to sell it. And have met up with a few people wanting to buy the car but still not sold. This car is worth a lot more to me than just 5-$800 which is what I've been offered so I'm thinking of going plan B and just keeping it and building it up. So my question is what engines will go into my 02? I'm not looking into rebuilding my stock engine since its all brittle and ready to crumble into pieces with a touch so that's out of the question. I'm interested in a more reliable and powerful aftermarket/donor engine off another BMW or something. Excuse my terms since I'm new to the whole 2002 scene but like I was saying, I want to start off with a new engine and just get it up and running. I've seen a lot of videos on the Tube of 2002s and their beefy sounding engines. So what are the options? Advice? What's the most practical way to go? Anything helps. Thanks!

Heres the link to my for sale ad just to fill you in on my situation + Pictures:

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/index.php?option=com_forum&Itemid=50&page=viewtopic&p=623780#623780

$4000 should just about cover getting you a new BMW engine that you could drop right in and not have to worry about converting any thing.

search the site for other options

FO 2573825

1971 2002, 5-OD, Recaro SE, BBK, 90Amp Alt, Turbines, VDO, Hellas, BD belts, LED Tails, 10 Foot DD

This is probably not what you want to hear but here goes. Nothing will just drop into your 02. There are ones that are easier than others. The two that are the most popular are the s14 from the e30 m3 and the m20 baby six from 70s era BMWs. So that may not be too much newer. The problem isn't just the engne but also transmission and fuel systems and wiring and electronics and in some cases cooling. So expct to replace alot more than an engine for a motor swap. What the easiest and least expensive is to buy a M10 engine recently rebuilt. I got one for about 1000 with a cam and head work and hi compression pistons. I then got a new carb clutch transmission distributor headers and exhaust and was looking at closr to 4k total. Now the car is my daily driver and is as reliable as my Lexus. A motor swap would be at least double depending on the motor and what it needed. An older bugger motor may be in need of a rebuild as well which may cost you a few grand on top of the motor cost, install, and additional parts. Look into the m10 options first. Lots of good used engnes out there with a ton of life in them

1976 BMW 2002 Fjord Blue Ireland Stage II • Bilstein Sports • Ireland Headers • Weber 38 • 292 Cam • 9.5:1 Pistons • 123Tune Bluetooth 15" BBS

2018 BMW M550i X-Drive

1964 Volvo Amazon Wagon
http://www.project2002.com

Oh and since you have a 76 your car has to be able to pass smog so engine mods and swaps may be problematic. That s also why you had lowball offers. Unless they have a plan or will take it put of state it has to have all the smog equipment on the car to pass smog and register in California.

1976 BMW 2002 Fjord Blue Ireland Stage II • Bilstein Sports • Ireland Headers • Weber 38 • 292 Cam • 9.5:1 Pistons • 123Tune Bluetooth 15" BBS

2018 BMW M550i X-Drive

1964 Volvo Amazon Wagon
http://www.project2002.com

I'm not looking into rebuilding my stock engine since its all brittle and ready to crumble into pieces with a touch so that's out of the question.

I know its not what you want to hear.... but I don't think you're looking at things right. 02 engines don't just fall apart. They can take a serious beating like you wouldn't believe, no matter how ugly and 'brittle' looking. If it appears 'brittle' then you're just looking at the rubber hoses and wires and such that can be easily replaced.

Is it extremely low on compression? If not, then all it takes is a little TLC and some tuning on the carb, then that sucker might be running damn strong and idling smooth, and give you a lot more confidence in it. If you really want something badass sounding and more powerful, then just add a set of sidedraft carbs (DCOEs) and maybe a cam.

Trust me, my engine looked and ran like total crap when I first got it. It felt like driving a diesel truck.

At somewhere around 300K miles now on the stock bottom end, its now looking good, pulling damn strong, and sounding ferocious (but blows a good bit of smoke on acceleration).

You need to go for a ride with a local guy that has a well-tuned M10...

Bring a Welder

1974 2002, 1965 Datsun L320 truck, 1981 Yamaha XS400, 1983 Yamaha RX50, 1992 Miata Miata drivetrain waiting on a Locost frame, 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser

Glad to hear that theres hope. Unfortunately, my car doesn't run like crap.........It doesn't run at all. Just last weekend, I filled it up with all new fluids, cleaned out the carb, a new battery, fueled it up and I go to start it, and to my surprise, the air con and radio go off at me full blast but no sign of life in the engine.

Glad to hear that theres hope. Unfortunately, my car doesn't run like crap.........It doesn't run at all. Just last weekend, I filled it up with all new fluids, cleaned out the carb, a new battery, fueled it up and I go to start it, and to my surprise, the air con and radio go off at me full blast but no sign of life in the engine.

so the starter isn't doing anything at all? might just be a wiring or ignition switch problem. You can just lay a screwdriver across the terminals on the starter and jump them to make it spin and start.

Bring a Welder

1974 2002, 1965 Datsun L320 truck, 1981 Yamaha XS400, 1983 Yamaha RX50, 1992 Miata Miata drivetrain waiting on a Locost frame, 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser