• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Warneford DCOE Manifold Question

SeanH

Sean,

As a rule of thumb, vacuum advances use ported vacuum. Thats the port that is above the throttle plate. It only comes on when the throttle plate is opened.

Earl

74 02Lux

02 M Roadster

72 Volvo 1800ES

74 02Lux

15 M235i

72 Volvo 1800ES

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- George Orwell

As a rule of thumb, vacuum advances use ported vacuum. Thats the port that is above the throttle plate. It only comes on when the throttle plate is opened.

That is true. If it was larger, you could use it for brake booster vacuum. DCOE type carbs don't have any provision for vac advance distributers.

John

Fresh squeezed horseshoes and hand grenades

I'm actually not sure what a throttle plate is, but from the sounds of it, the dizzy would need to get vacuum directly from the carb. Either way, no, this will not work at advance for a distributor.

any idea what this is for? I've already hooked up my brake booster - so that's not it.

thanks!

i dunno what it is, but theres no hole there in my warneford manifold. i've just got a round knob with a dimple in the top where you've got the port instead.

Bring a Welder

1974 2002, 1965 Datsun L320 truck, 1981 Yamaha XS400, 1983 Yamaha RX50, 1992 Miata Miata drivetrain waiting on a Locost frame, 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser

i dunno what it is, but theres no hole there in my warneford manifold. i've just got a round knob with a dimple in the top where you've got the port instead.

Ditto. I don't have that tapped vacuum port on my Warneford manifold either - just a flat there with a dimple. I think I have different Warneford tho' - my casting has slightly different casting bosses and maybe a different (longer?) intake track length. And I must agree, a DCOEs set-up doesn't have a vacuum advance dizzy take-off.

HTH.

Tom

Where we goin’? … I’ll drive…
There are some who call me... Tom too         v i s i o n a u t i k s.com   

It wouldn't be for the dizzy as it would only take vacuum which will make your vacuum advance work with the pulsations of the piston moving through the stroke. It is probably for some other aux vacuum part that now longer doesn't exist on your engine. Maybe some sort of emissions mumbo jumbo.

holy negative camber batman!!!

02 Golf Yellow cruising the border of NSW/VIC!

tii pistons, 293, double valve springs, 40mm DCOE's, sump baffle, sway bars, lowered, 5spd, big brakes, 3pc wheels, bucket seats. Approx 150+hp

Thats the port that is above the throttle plate. It only comes on when the throttle plate is opened.

Huh? That port will have big vacuum when the throttle plate's CLOSED,

(pulsed, as noted)

and drop as you open the throttle.

And it would work for some distributors, but not ours. Ours want,

again, as noted, ported vacuum that disappears at idle.

Pluggit! My Canon has one of those, too, and I've got a plug on it.

If it had 4- it might be useful for tuning. But it doesn't...

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

'Vacuum caps' sold at various auto parts stores in the

'little packages of useful stuff' aisle.

Look like tiny little condoms... usually in black...

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL