• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1600 clutch, odd size

cam1602

Need to replace my clutch in the 1600-02. It appears to be a 200 mm size which is not widely available. Any issues with upgrading to a 228 mm flywheel/clutch/Pressure Plate with the mechanical linkage? I can get a flywheel cheep and will buy the disk/PP. Do I need a special throughout bearing? TIA for your insight

Never too late to have a happy childhood

make sure you have an 8 bolt flywheel. If so, you can use a 228 or 215mm flywheel from later 2002s. But if you have a six bolt flywheel, only the earliest 2002s (those with VINs below 1665200) have a 228mm flywheel, and they use a pressure plate that's difficult to find and expensive when you do.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Also, it's possible that Centerforce can rebuild your pressure plate and make you a disc in the right size. Years ago, my friend had a very moded o2 that used a 6 bolt flywheel. Centerforce hooked him up bigtime.

John

Fresh squeezed horseshoes and hand grenades

Need to get the car ready for a race over this weekend, (24 hours of Lemons) so going the cheepest/EZest route. I have a 8 bolt flywheel so the late 228 mm should bolt right in. And just orders a 228 mm clutch kit. So I should have the car up and running agian w/o the sliping clutch by the end of this weekend.

From a race/performance perspective, I would think a 200 mm clutch with good grip would be more disirable due to less mass towards the outside. And I assume the 200 mm set-up weighs less which is a big plus in road racing. I will weigh them this weekend to see if my assumptions are true.

Again, thanks for the input.

Need to get the car ready for a race over this weekend, (24 hours of Lemons) so going the cheepest/EZest route. I have a 8 bolt flywheel so the late 228 mm should bolt right in. And just orders a 228 mm clutch kit. So I should have the car up and running agian w/o the sliping clutch by the end of this weekend.

From a race/performance perspective, I would think a 200 mm clutch with good grip would be more disirable due to less mass towards the outside. And I assume the 200 mm set-up weighs less which is a big plus in road racing. I will weigh them this weekend to see if my assumptions are true.

Again, thanks for the input.

LeMons.... LeMons... Did I hear LeMons.... I think I did....

Hey Cam1602 Tom Jones here..... of the Autobahn Society Racing team. Is that 1600 of yours the one in Bimmer Mag this month?? The one that won the IOE in the last Texas LeMons race??? We have quite allot in common as our '76 '02 "Art Car" won the IOE at Altamont May '08....

Go find Nick Pon (LeMons Official) and tell him Tom Jones says hi.... It'll flip him out... I helped him put his '76 '02 back on the street last year.

So to the business at hand... Since you have an 8 bolt flywheel you are in luck. Don't worry about the weight difference between the 200mm and the 228 unless you are runnin a "real" race car. :)

If you're seriously still worried about the heavier 228 setup than have the flywheel lightened a little. The Judges won't know if you had the 228 flywheel lightened so get to it and don't worry. Your car has an "IN" anyway. :) Judge Liberman asked to see under our hood at our second race at Thunderhill in December only be sure we hadn't stuffed a cheater motor in there.... when he saw that we hadn't really changed a thing he says "Yup, still looks like shit. Get this thing back to your pits and go racing." I almost hugged him.

Wait'll he sees the M20 we have planned for our Next race.... Bwhahaha! :)

Found an E21 323i 4speed trans for uber cheap (no one wants them) and the motors almost grow on trees... :b...

Our car suffered a clutch and trans failure at Thunderhill, and the motor is tired... Want a tired stock 2liter???... So with money we'll get for selling the last of our junk pile that came off the car in the first build and maybe scavenging a whole E30 325i parts car we'll have our selves an M20 powered '76 2002 LeMons car..... That'll show those pesky '80s Bimmers what's up. :) Link here.... http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,57/page,viewtopic/t,318183

Pictures from Thunderhill '08...

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,57/page,viewtopic/t,316208

If you have ANY questions I'll be right here.

Cheers and good luck!

Crew Chief of Autobahn Society Racing,

Tom Jones

BMW wrench for 30 years, BMWCCA since 1984 at age 9
66 BMW16oo stored, 67 1600-2 lifelong project, 2 more 67-8 1600s, 86 528e 5sp 586k, 91 318i
Mom&Dad's, 65 1800TiSA, 70 2800, 72 2002Tii 2760007 orig owners, 15 Z4 N20

What you'll find startling is that the 215 clutch/flywheel weighs a lot

less than the 228, and with a racing disc you can get away with

a stock pressure plate, usually.

But yeah, weigh the 200, and I'll cough up the 215 numbers

(and 228, if needed)

This is lighter, though:

t

post-611-13667602083661_thumb.jpg

post-611-13667602085909_thumb.jpg

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Hey Cam1602 Tom Jones here..... of the Autobahn Society Racing team. Is that 1600 of yours the one in Bimmer Mag this month?? The one that won the IOE in the last Texas LeMons race??? We have quite allot in common as our '76 '02 "Art Car" won the IOE at Altamont May '08....

Hey Tom, that is really cool. Thanks for the reply. Anyone have a scan or link to the Bimmer Mag, I was #14 rust brown/red and we won IOE ($1K in nickels). The car handles great and fast enough for a Lemons race but ran into reliability issues, partly due to me not knowing BMW's very well. Everyone on my team is a Spec Miata racer in SCCA. We could do consistent fast times but then something would simple would break/fall off. All in all, a great time and going back in two weeks.

Not too worried about a heavy flywheel in the Lemons race, just stating an observation. I was more worried about the larger flywheel fitting (think it will) and making the car reliable.

Get another 200mm clutch or you can go with the 215mm if your car has the 8 hole crank. I believe The 215mm clutch throw-out bearing used on te 2002 is identical to the throw-out bearing used on the 1600 clutch.I would stay away from the 228mm on the 1600cc. It is too heavy-too much rotating mass.

La Jolla Independent can get you the 200mm clutch disk.

Slavs

if the 200mm pressure plate has not been damaged by a failing t/o bearing, find a clutch shop, they will able the reline the disc and rebuild the pressure, done it on a couple of cars

RK in OC

ex- 67 1600ti/Aplina

http://rogerspeed.tripod.com/bmw_1600tialpina/

83 A/R Spider Veloce

"I come from a broken home, I should know, I broke it" Bazooka Joe

Hey Tom, that is really cool. Thanks for the reply. Anyone have a scan or link to the Bimmer Mag, I was #14 rust brown/red and we won IOE ($1K in nickels). The car handles great and fast enough for a Lemons race but ran into reliability issues, partly due to me not knowing BMW's very well. Everyone on my team is a Spec Miata racer in SCCA. We could do consistent fast times but then something would simple would break/fall off. All in all, a great time and going back in two weeks.

Not too worried about a heavy flywheel in the Lemons race, just stating an observation. I was more worried about the larger flywheel fitting (think it will) and making the car reliable.

No but it's on the stands now.

Tom Jones

BMW wrench for 30 years, BMWCCA since 1984 at age 9
66 BMW16oo stored, 67 1600-2 lifelong project, 2 more 67-8 1600s, 86 528e 5sp 586k, 91 318i
Mom&Dad's, 65 1800TiSA, 70 2800, 72 2002Tii 2760007 orig owners, 15 Z4 N20