• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Engine ready

wagnerf15

Well, my son and I got the transmission mated to the engine yesterday. Almost 1 year to the day after pulling it, I'm ready to put it back in. Had to make the bracket to hold the clutch master to slave line (hope it fits in the tunnel) and figure out how the hell the shifter platform attaches. Also, I used Lee's brackets and very good instructions to get the transmission mounting tabs set up. Can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!

post-9412-1366759900345_thumb.jpg

post-9412-13667599005023_thumb.jpg

post-9412-13667599006858_thumb.jpg

post-9412-13667599008931_thumb.jpg

'74 2002

Ambulatory on 2/4/9!!!

Now the hard shit begins

very nicely done. looks great. im such a wuss when it comes to firing a new motor. good luck

i'm with you steve. firing a motor gets you thinking about all those torques, and whether you remembered to do them all. pretty nerve wracking!

but when it fires up and runs, way cool.

72 2002tii

1988 535is  “Maeve”

I am a mess days before and during and even after wondering what I did wrong or forget.

Those 2002 guys that put them in and fire them up and just go drive them without fear, I hold in highest regard.

"90% of your carb problems are in the ignition, Mike."

1972 2000tii Touring #3422489

1972 2002tii with A4 system #2761680

FAQ member #5

I fired up the 75 last week. Lots of new untested stuff was significantly nerve-racking. New rebuilt head, 292 cam, new 02 Again exhaust manifold, new Lynx manifold, 45 DCOE carb kit, new used 008 mechanical distributor with pertronix, completely desmogged, new 320i water neck, new 320i bypass tube. Timing was set at TDC for starting.

It actually fired up pretty quickly, but sounded like hell until the timing got settled in (by ear). Lots of bucking and timing chain rattling. Managed to get the carb adjusted so it would idle, but the 292 seems pretty lumpy at lower speeds. First F-up, I had a pretty significant coolant leak at the water neck. I was using 1/2 of a thick washer to accomodate the difference in height between the water neck and the lynx manifold, but apparently this was not sealing the water passage properly. Pulled the water neck, filed it down to match the lynx manifold and no more water leak. Set the timing with my light, could see the steel ball, but more of an estimate on the RPM at 1500, played with the 45 DCOE idle some more and buttoned it up.

After a couple of spirited practice runs through the neighborhood. (Damn it is loud with that Ansa exhaust). I did notice that there is a significant increase in vibration through the power band. Everything is buzzing, especially the round glass covering the gas gauge. I need to pull the instrument panel to get that noise to stop. There are times is is nice and smooth, but on harder acceleration, there is a lot of noise and vibration.

Second f-up. I was going to drive it to work last Friday. Rolled into the gas station to fill up the tank. Pulled out after topping it off, what's that smell. Yikes, gas is leaking badly in the front of the car. Apparently, I forgot to plug the return line from the original weber to tank and now gas was siphoning out of the tank and onto the ground. After losing about a gallon, I did manage to get a pencil from the glove box shoved into the hose to stop the leak. Drove home and parked it until a more permament repair can be made.

I hope your firing goes well.

Mark92131

1970 BMW 1600 (Nevada)

Now that's a useful reply. I now know at least 2 things to check out before I try to fire it up. Also, interestingly, there was a recent thread about jetting from someone else with a 292 (although he had a Weber 38) and through careful adjustment and rejetting the idles, he was able to get smooth idle with the 292. Just a thought....I'm sure I'll have many more musings as I attempt the starter-upper-thingy.

'74 2002

Ambulatory on 2/4/9!!!

Now the hard shit begins