• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Middle of last week my 3:90 LSD Diff was boosted.

conkitchen

FRESNO AREA 02 and e21 followers if you are on this board and the perpetrator. You were video taped!

Prologue:

The father in law, a semi German car buff, has an old warehouse building up in Sacramento where he lets me do my car thing. He also stores his old vehicles too. By his extreme generosity and the size of the space, I have endeavored to restore and work on cars that one just can't do in the driveway at home. Thus I have started to collect various parts as I dismantle and refurbish, etc...

Part one:

The Father in Law has an old Overland delivery truck circa 1910 that he arranged for sale to another individual from Fresno CA. So the truck deal was made and pick-up arrangements confirmed for last week during the day. I was not informed any on this was to transpire. On the day of transport two men arrive with a flat bed. They are from a trucking company (name at this time is withheld) hired by the new owner of the truck.

Enter the Brother-in-Law [bIL] who is not a car buff BTW. He meets the two transporters at the location and provides entrance. His pretence is that this is to pick up the truck for the man his father has known for decades. Paid for, signed, sealed, and now to deliver. He opens the door to the building thus exposing all that I have going on there, motors on stands, cars half together, big tool box, wheels in stacks, and things under tarps, you get the picture. So these two motor heads get a nice little treat walking into the "shop" to fetch an old truck. After moving a few of the cars in the back to gain access to the truck, the BIL sees he needs to go and get another key to unlock the big door to get the truck outside. He leaves for less than 10 minutes to the front office to bring back the key. He opens the door; they roll out the truck, load it onto the flat bed and drive away.

Part Two:

I go to my knuckle bustin retreat nearly every weekend and was just there last Saturday and Sunday. Today, (Sunday 12-14) I open the small door, turn the lights on and see a car moved as proof somebody had been there. This one car, in my way of course, is the BIL's junker 65 mustang. Once I put his car back in place in the back. Now settling in, I begin to look around where the truck once was. Then I notice that my pallet with once three differentials on it now only has two. Only the OPEN diffs remained. I go blank trying to think what I had done with it since recently pulling it from a 320i S. After you go through the work of removing one you don't just forget what you did with it. I call the BIL and ask what may have happened. He tells me the part about getting the key, and it all falls into place. The front office is far and away and the two fellows were unattended attending to the truck. just here to pick up a truck that is all they are being paid to do, Right?

Y'll gon get dem key whilz we here move this ol truck out fer ya.

Epilogue:

I know the new owner is not responsible since he has no control over the people another company hires. However, I was told that the new owner of the truck has hired this trucking company several times in the past. It stands to reason he has a working relationship with them and likes their service. I have the phone # for the new owner of the truck. I intend to call him Monday.

Thoughts?

But what do I know

Sounds like a pretty open and shut case if you have the name of the towing company, they should know who was on that call. And you have video showing one of them removing it, carrying it to the truck, slipping it into the truck being picked up, something like that? I would involve the police if you have any video evidence. Might be worth telling the BIL a little more about the gravity of the situation, and see if he may have moved his car around a little to get the truck out, work on it afterward, etc.

David

Flickr

'74 2002 - The project

'98 M3

'04 Duramax 2500HD

theft charges, the cops ain't gonna help you if you didn't "officially" report it. If ithe situation is amicably settled, you can always call 'em back and say...it was all a misunderstanding, the stolen part was taken accidentally and returned, or some such...

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Guest Anonymous

why would two truck driver guys want a limited slip diff out of a old bmw.. while it's of value to you.. it's not worth much to anyone that isn't into these cars. I would look elsewhere than laying blame on two truck guys just because "you left them alone for 10 minutes".

Guest Anonymous

Chances are you are the victim of felonious theft. This may be your plea for the perpetrator to return your goods but it is unlikely that party or parties read this forum. Contact the police, and/or contact your warehouse insurance carrier, if one exists.

Good luck.

I bought a car from a fellow that wasn't there at the pick up. His agent( a neighbor) was. When the transporter got to my place I had my car and parts plus parts to another 60 era car. The transport guy just loaded what he was told to by the person there.

I wouldn't call the new owner of the truck, as it isn't his responsibility what the truck drivers do or did.

If you have valid video evidence of the lsd being stolen, then you need to contact the police, and or contact the towing company present the evidence to them, and then not so kindly demand for your lsd back.

Just my thoughts,

Chris.

P.S.- There was a point made about the two drivers not needing an old LSD from an old BMW, and while this is true, people steal. Especially people who think that they have some sense of entitlement to some of your stuff, because you are more successful than they are, and because of their social or economic status they should get a piece of your success right? and that diff was obviously part of your success?

These circumstances seem like they have been in the news recently... i just can't put my finger it though....

'75 2002

Photobucket

FRESNO AREA 02 and e21 followers if you are on this board and the perpetrator. You were video taped!

If in fact you have the crime on video tape, why not file a police report and supply them with a copy of the tape?

e46-330ci, e46-325ci Vert., e36-328is, e30-325is, M20-2002, K110, K75, '71 Jeepster Commando

The answer seems pretty simple to me. Contact the guy who bought the truck and have him inform the responsible parties that you're going to go to the police unless they return your diff right away. The timetable you have, your BILs statements regarding them being there, and the video should be more than enough to get them to return it. Either that, or don't give them the chance and just go straight to the police.

-=Scott=-

My Short Bus

rotate.php

1971 2002 - "William Grover-Williams" - Track/Weekend Car VIN 2579197

1998 740iL E38 - "Blau" - Daily Driver

http://gallery.xfiler.com

why would two truck driver guys want a limited slip diff out of a old bmw.. while it's of value to you.. it's not worth much to anyone that isn't into these cars. I would look elsewhere than laying blame on two truck guys just because "you left them alone for 10 minutes".

Oldguy, someone has to be the advocate to the devil and I thank you for trying here. Perhaps you are from Fresno and recently visited Sac?

The thing here is that the warehouse is not a business so no one other than family ever goes into the building. The diff was there last weekend and there is no forced entry to the structure.

But what do I know

P.S.- There was a point made about the two drivers not needing an old LSD from an old BMW,....

Chris,

It surprised me too that whomever had the wherewithal to first recognize the part as an LSD diff sitting on a pallet. They left the other two open diffs alone. It was not in the car so 10 minutes was plenty of time for it to sprout legs. The Perp knew it was a BMW LSD diff and that it has value, why would one risk running out with a 40 pound hunk of steel?

But what do I know

why would one risk running out with a 40 pound hunk of steel?

Up until recently, that lump of steel might have brought some cash at the recycler.

John

John,

I hear ya on the scrap valuation. There was another board member whose BWA alloy wheels got boosted during transport, shocker! They were in the trunk. The truck driver had the keys to the car being delivered.

BTW there was a set of BBS alloy wheels without tires closer to the door and fare easier to run out with. I am leaning still towards knowledge of what they took.

But what do I know